• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Haven't been to the dentist in 8 years

L

Lilly24

I have 6 rotten broken teeth in my mouth mostly molars and I'm afraid they will have a hard time geting the out because of how far back it is in my mouth and how badly broken they are.... I finally decided to go to the dentist have a appointment today at 10 am and I cant sleep I'm severely afraid that I want to cancel....I'm know for sure there will be lots of pain and I'm going to be screaming and crying like a baby.... I really want to die.....but my teeth are so bad I had to do something before it kills me....fuck I just want this all out pain free....

Last edited:
Hi, Welcome to the forum, I'm not sure how many of the more experienced members will be about at this time, but I wanted to make sure you knew someone had seen your post and was wishing you all the best. What time is it where you are? getting some sleep might help you manage the anxiety if you're at all able.

If you've not looked at any of the journals here you might like to, often the situation isn't as bad as we believe it to be, I'd be surprised if you weren't able to have some teeth you've broken restored without extraction :)

Booking your appointment has taken trememdous courage given how afraid you say you are - be proud of that, soon you'll have a plan of action to go forward and professionals there to help. Best of luck, I'll have my fingers crossed for you :welcome:

I'm in Jacksonville fl...its 3:18 am

I wish I could stay up and keep you company but I'm sure someone else will be along shortly, I hope you at least get some sleep tonight. keep us posted if you'd like to, what ever happens, we can celebrate with you if its better than you expected and offer support if not. I'll be thinking of you later and wishing you the best :)

Hi Lilly24 :welcome:, I hope you're getting some well-deserved sleep now.

We always recommend to treat the first appointment with a new dentist as a get-to-know-you meeting, where you can suss out whether you like this dentist and feel that you can work with them.

There is no reason why dental treatment should be painful in this day and age. Please share your concerns with your dentist so they can address your concerns and make sure that you're being treated with kid gloves :).

Wishing you all the best and please let us know how it went :grouphug:

Yes, there probably will be some pain. Some annoyance.

But you can handle it.

You are demonstrating courage by facing this important issue.

You don’t have to feel this bad. Today things can start to get better.

Thanks for the support everyone...unfortunately I have been referred to an oral surgeon to get 8 teeth extracted ....

I'm so sorry Lilly24, how are you feeling? Was your dentist good to you and understanding? - if you think thats excessive work or that you weren't given any other options or enough of an explanation you can always look for a second opinion.
It seems very sudden to go from the first appointment to a surgeon's referal

Hi Lilly,

well done on not having cancelled. Alone this part is so hard as your anxiety just keeps urging you not to go and it takes such a huge discipline and energy to go anyway. Really glad to hear you managed it and please, give yourself credit for it.
Sorry to read about the referral. My suspicion is that the teeth need to get out as soon as possible so that they decided to get them all out? Are you getting any form of sedation for that?
To your concerns about pain: as letsconnect suggests, there should be no pain for any treatment as dentists use local anesthetic to shut any pain off. Should you ever feel even a slightest pain you can ask your dentist to get more of it. In the past, treatment used to be painful but that's all history.
Taking out rotten teeth is actually much easier than taking out healthy teeth and if they are broken on the gumline they will get out even easier. Your dentist / surgeon will be able to tell you how much time he will need to take them out. Again, the most important thing to consider is that you won't feel any pain so the only annoying thing might be the noises and coping with your anxiety. This might be hard for you to imagine right now, but looking around here in the forum you will find a lot of success stories from people who have dealt with similar situation.

All the best wishes, keep us posted and again, please do not forget giving yourself a pat on the back. You are doing a very courageous thing right now.

This is difficult news to hear you to hear.

This is an opportunity to demonstrate courage and agency.

Life is asking much of you, and now you can prove yourself worthy of these principles.

Fortunately you are not alone.

Hope you are OK Lily24. I know it can be devasting to be told you need a tooth/teeth out.

Let us know how you are doing?

Hello Lily. Just seen this and want to add words of support and encouragement as you move forward. I am sure that all will go well. Big Christmas hugs coming down the screen from all of us in the UK XX

Back