• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

haven't been to the dentist in 9 years

V

veranga

It's really difficult for me to admit, that I haven't been to the dentist in 9 years. My main problem is alot of tarter buildup and swollen gums, etc.

The dentist I had under my father's plan was very harsh. He didn't take time out to make you feel comfortable not to mention I had a horrible gag reflex! I found a dentist just recently that according to the website he takes the time to make you feel comfortable. I have been so scared to go until now. I haven't even met the dentist yet, but just seeing that on the website reassured me. I did make an appointment, and I am going for and appointment on Nov 9th. I am a little apprehensive about it...:(

Dear Verenga-
I have read your post and you are not alone!
There are many here who skipped seeing a dentist in Years and I think it is wonderful that you have made an appointment- that alone is a great step.

To your concerns about your previous dental visits-that was not o.K, I can only give you this advice from my own encounters with lots of different dentists:
If he does not take time to listen to you,talk your concerns through-get another one.It is O.K
You do not have to stay when you are not comfortable- I have finally found a dentist who gives me a good vibe- and he always has time to talk things over.

So when you go to your appt.-make sure you talk about your feelings,concerns and let him explain what he is going to do.If he does not listen or is pushy- you have nothing to worry about- keep looking until you found THE ONE!
They are out there- lol

I wish you the best of luck and strength for your first visit-it is a good step and you can do it-I am sure.
Let us know how it went
:welcome:

Thanks Hurtb4 ! This website has helped me tremendously !
I will keep you informed how it goes...
I feel very relaxed after i looked on the dentists' website, and it said he has the modern technology for a comfortable and relaxed visit !
:)

That sounds like the best way to go, that is how I found my dentist, looking at websites- and they even ask me every time if I would like a blanket or something to drink or maybe a magazine-

I'd love to follow your story.....:thumbsup:

Just wanted to post a follow up!

I went to the dentist yesterday... It was a great experience. The staff was so friendly and warm. I was upfront with the staff and told them I hadn't been to the dentist in 9 yrs, and I had no criticism at all ! I was very impressed with this dentist. The dentist did recommend I get fitted for a guard I can wear on my teeth at night, because I am grinding my teeth at night. I didn't even realize I was doing this. He also suggested I get my teeth whitened, which I am going to do next week. The whole office visit was 1 hour. I was very impressed. :)

Way to go veranga! You did AWESOME! So nice to hear the good "after" stories, it gives me hope....

Just keeping everyone updated on everything ...
I went to the dentist a few weeks ago, and he was concerned that some of my teeth were cracking. He said it was due to me grinding my teeth when I slept , and he also said he wanted to give me a guard to protect my teeth when I slept. They took the casts of my mouth, and the guard took @ 4 weeks.

The dentist had an associate in the office that did the fillings... it turns out I went to middle school with him ! Now all 2 of my fillings are done, and I got the guard, it was not bad getting used to it at all !

thanks to everyone on this website for helping !!!

Hope Everyone has a Happy New Year I will keep in Touch !

:grouphug::yay:

Back