• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Haven't been to the dentist since I was about 10

A

Angela.

Hey everyone!!

I am 25 years old and the last time I went to the dentist I was probably under ten years old. So, that should explain my teeth situation. I have always been scared of the dentist. My last memory of going to a dentist was when I was really young, I refused to let the dentist look at me, they tried to hold me down but that didn't work so they ended up sending me to an Emergency Room and having them do the work(I think it was to remove a cavity..I really don't remember)

Right now I am not exactly afraid of the dentist. I am just embarrassed of them seeing my teeth. We just got insurance and my husband is constantly bugging me about going since he is paying for it...guess I have no choice anymore and have to go lol. He doesn't really understand, though. He naturally has perfect teeth and has never had a cavity or dental pain in his life. I am so jealous!

My upper teeth are horrible. Every tooth except 3 are cracked to the gums and those 3 have cavities. I really don't think they are savable and even if they were I don't think it would be worth the time and money to fix them. I would definitely consider dentures.

My bottom teeth are not good looking at all they are crooked and yellow. I only have one cavity down there and I notice that a few are starting to develop cavities so I really need to start going to the dentist or they are going to end up just like the upper teeth. I wonder why they aren't as bad as the top?

Honestly, the fact that my teeth look horrible has never bothered me. I have been so good at hiding them, I never smile with my teeth, I cover my mouth when I laugh. A few days ago I took a picture of my teeth....I couldn't believe what I saw. They were so scary looking, I still can't believe that is me. It is so different than what the mirror shows. It is really depressing. I guess that made me realize I need to get help.

I have a dentist consultation Thursday.

Congrats on making the appointment! It sounds like you have a supportive husband that will help you! Let us know how everything goes!

Hi Angela

:welcome: to the forum

That's great news that you have made that first appointment, it takes a lot of courage to do that.:respect:

Provided you have a good, sympathetic and caring dentist you should be fine, they will have seen a lot worse teeth-wise trust me on that.

You may also be surprised as to how much can be done nowadays, there are a lot of people on here who went along expecting to lose all of their teeth only to find that most or all were fine or repairable.

Good luck with your upcoming appointment and please keep us posted as to how you get on:)

Kind Regards

Hello!

Congrats on making that appointment! I recently went to the dentist too after about 15 or so years (and that was only because i chipped a tooth, i didn't get the work done i needed to!). Like most people have said, my teeth weren't as bad as I thought they were, so you will probably be surprised.

Like you, the worst part was showing the dentist my mouth for the first time and feeling ashamed and embarrassed. Now that's out the way I'm excited to get my teeth sorted out.

Keep us updated!

I'm in the same situation I'm afraid / embarassed also and I used to live in Chicago. Hope your appointment goes well good luck

The appointment had to be rescheduled, so it is actually today at 4pm!! I am unlucky enough to have my two favorite things on the same day...job interview AND a dentist appointment! Honestly, I'd rather have 10 dentist appointments than an interview. I guess my dental fear isn't as high as I thought :)

My husband made an appointment today for himself, he goes in before me so at least that slightly eases my nerves since I can see what happens. I just get to hear the dentist praise his "perfect teeth" :(

I am back!

It wasn't bad at all. It was just x-rays which were really uncomfortable and then the dentist looked at my teeth and said what I was expecting. I need them all pulled and immediate dentures, but since the top is so bad we will do them first, then wait a bit and make a plan for the bottom, he thinks some can be saved. So, I am going to need 14 extractions on top. At this moment I feel excited, I am not upset at all. Extremely nervous since I hate pain. I am sure I will be freaking out more once we set a date.

Oh,and they discovered my husbands first cavity forming, he gets it filled Friday. The first real dental work in his life. Is it bad that made me slightly smile? :innocent:

Last edited:
Well done, I am pleased for you that things went well for you. It is a shame that you need to have the teeth extracted but hopefully you will get a lovely new set that will be pain and worry free once you get used to them. It will boost your confidence greatly too :jump::jump::jump::butterfly:

Back