• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having 3 badly decayed teeth extracted tomorrow

F

fellowphobic

Hello everyone

I found this site a little late in the day but better late than never.

I went for years without seeing a dentist after a pretty traumatic experience with root canal. Luckily, I now have an amazing female dentist who has completly changed the way I feel about visiting the dentist. With her I have visited the hygenist and had two fillings (one of which saved a lower front tooth) and tomorrow, oh tomorrow, I am being sedated (at a clinic she referred me to) and having three teeth extracted which are decayed to the gum line (one of which is the tooth I had root canal work on all those years ago).

I have to tell you I am a really massive needle phobic (havent had my rubella or bcg!) so am not exactly looking forward to that part of things. I spoke to the receptionist and explained my fear and am now going in an hour before my appointment time to have 'magic cream' applied to numb the area where they will insert the line.

I have never been sedated before and am absolutely pooing myself!!!

I will report back when I feel better and tell you all of my exerience. x

Hi Fellowphobic,

I can empathize with you. I also have a badly decayed tooth (lower left molar) that had a filling in it years ago and fell out, and then the tooth started coming apart piece by piece and now I just have the roots left. It looks disgusting. I have an appointment next week. First dental visit in over 10 years!! :o I don't know how i'm going to survive it.

I think you'll be just fine.:) You are not alone, lots of people are in your situation. You're lucky that you're getting sedation. I don't have insurance or a job so I'll have to pay out of my pocket, and won't be able to afford sedation.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, I'll be sending you positive thoughts!

Hi,
Good luck with your appointment, you will defo be fine. I have mine in december and I am in the same boat as you although I have 4 teeth to be extracted. its the needle and sedation which is worrying me more than anything though I am told its just a pinch then next minute your ready to go home. :) Good luck and let us know how you went!

Even without the magic cream (in the arm/back of the hand) for an i/v line, it is barely a scratch if done properly so WITH THE MAGIC NUMBING CREAM WHICH DOES WORK - you have absolutely nothing to worry about. It will be painfree.

The only downside is having to go earlier and sit around for so much longer..unless you trust yourself to go away and come back?
Best wishes - it will be fine and congratulations on finding a caring dentist.
:grouphug:

Hi Fellowphobic,

I can empathize with you. I also have a badly decayed tooth (lower left molar) that had a filling in it years ago and fell out, and then the tooth started coming apart piece by piece and now I just have the roots left. It looks disgusting. I have an appointment next week. First dental visit in over 10 years!! :o I don't know how i'm going to survive it.

I think you'll be just fine.:) You are not alone, lots of people are in your situation. You're lucky that you're getting sedation. I don't have insurance or a job so I'll have to pay out of my pocket, and won't be able to afford sedation.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, I'll be sending you positive thoughts!

Hey

Thank you for the reply.

Mine fell apart piece by piece like yours - one minute your enjoying your dinner and the next your biting into something hard and you think great another piece of tooth - it is terrible isnt it.

Do you like in the UK? I have an NHS dentist but, because I work, I have to pay towards my treatment. I was referred to a clinic where they can perform sedation and I am only paying for the actual sedation (NHS price £43.00). If you are on Jobseekers Allowance I believe you get a lot of help with dentist costs.

Thank you for your kind wishes - I doubt i'll get much sleep tonight. I will let you know how it goes x

Hi,
Good luck with your appointment, you will defo be fine. I have mine in december and I am in the same boat as you although I have 4 teeth to be extracted. its the needle and sedation which is worrying me more than anything though I am told its just a pinch then next minute your ready to go home. :) Good luck and let us know how you went!

Hi

Thank you for your reply and many thanks for your kind wishes.

I hope your appointment isnt too near Christmas!

I shall let you know how the needle etc went - yikes I really am getting scared now. I burst into tears earlier when I was making dinner as I was just going over and over it in my head. x

Even without the magic cream (in the arm/back of the hand) for an i/v line, it is barely a scratch if done properly so WITH THE MAGIC NUMBING CREAM WHICH DOES WORK - you have absolutely nothing to worry about. It will be painfree.

The only downside is having to go earlier and sit around for so much longer..unless you trust yourself to go away and come back?
Best wishes - it will be fine and congratulations on finding a caring dentist.
:grouphug:
Hiya

Thank you so much for your supportive words.

My other half is coming with me so I think we'll go for a little walk while the magic cream does its thing. I'll probably end up smoking 40 fags during that walk and I dont even smoke!

Will let you all know how it goes and thanks once again to you all for taking the time to reply to my post. It really does help to know there are other people out there going through or having been through the same fears xxx:hidesbehindsofa:

Next to actually having extractions, my biggest fear in life is needles. I HATE injections for whatever reason and only agree to them on sufference and if I can avoid a jab, I will. I refuse to have a flu vaccination because of my hatred for needles.

But my fear of extractions comes right to the front and overrides any panics about having jabs. I had an extraction under IV and had to look away when the cannula went in. But to be honest, it really was a tiny, tiny little pinch. Nothing more than that and I would be ready next time.

I hope everything goes well, and remember IV totally rocks!

U wil do just fine. I am getting 14 teeth taken out nov 5th and an unsurfaced wisdom tooth in the bottom right. I am going to be awake. good luck!

Hi everyone

Well what can I say... IT WAS FINE!

I got myself in a bit of a state when I arrived and spoke to the man with the needle! But once I had my magic cream and realised how numb my hand was I didnt worry and even went in on my own without the other half - brave soldier I am.

It took 20 minutes in total for my three teeth to be taken out.

It really was a doddle and I have no idea why I was so worried.

I feel absolutely fine today, no pain or swelling.

Thank you all for your support.

I will post again when it gets nearer the time for my teeth implants! I'm sure I will sail through that now I know magic cream exists xxx

CONGRATS! :)

I also had two extractions done yesterday under IV sedation...like you I was very nervous about the needle...but WOW It doesn't hurt at all! :)

My teeth were also decayed at the gumline. Now, here I am one day later...minimal pain and zero swelling.

Congrats to you again! :)

Hi everyone

My happiness is over, woke up in the middle of the night in agony. I think I might have an infection in one of the three holes. I have been really good bathing my mouth in salt water after eating to keep wounds clean so quite gutted but am still so impressed with the actual dental proceedure x:oops:

CONGRATS! :)

I also had two extractions done yesterday under IV sedation...like you I was very nervous about the needle...but WOW It doesn't hurt at all! :)

My teeth were also decayed at the gumline. Now, here I am one day later...minimal pain and zero swelling.

Congrats to you again! :)

Hey, well done you!

How are you feeling today (Sunday)? Think I might have an infection! x :drool:

Hey, well done you!

How are you feeling today (Sunday)? Think I might have an infection! x :drool:

Oh no!! Go back ASAP and see what it is! You'll be fine though, I'm sure.

I'm feeling great today (Monday) I can still feel very little swelling..but not enough to make my face look puffy and distorted! haha

I have the dissolvable stitches and was wondering whennnn they will dissolve? lol...I hate feeling them!

Oh no!! Go back ASAP and see what it is! You'll be fine though, I'm sure.

I'm feeling great today (Monday) I can still feel very little swelling..but not enough to make my face look puffy and distorted! haha

I have the dissolvable stitches and was wondering whennnn they will dissolve? lol...I hate feeling them!

Hello

It is nice having someone else recovering at the same time as me.

I went back this morning. The dentist was very happy with my 'holes' and thought i'd done a good job at keeping them clean. One was a bit infected, as I thought, and he picked at it a little (didnt hurt one bit) and placed some stuff inside that looked a bit like wire wool and tastes/smells of clove oil. Also was prescribed Amoxicillin.

Pleased to hear your recovering ok. I know what you mean about the swelling. You feel as though your cheeks are double the size but dont look it. I am struggling to moisturise my face on the side with the infection as it is so sore to touch.

All in all really pleased with the outcome though. I didnt bat an eyelid going back today so perhaps I am on the way to overcoming my fear even more. Just wish a trip to the dentist didnt ever involve needles!

Keep us all posted with how your recovery goes x

Hello

It is nice having someone else recovering at the same time as me.

I went back this morning. The dentist was very happy with my 'holes' and thought i'd done a good job at keeping them clean. One was a bit infected, as I thought, and he picked at it a little (didnt hurt one bit) and placed some stuff inside that looked a bit like wire wool and tastes/smells of clove oil. Also was prescribed Amoxicillin.

Pleased to hear your recovering ok. I know what you mean about the swelling. You feel as though your cheeks are double the size but dont look it. I am struggling to moisturise my face on the side with the infection as it is so sore to touch.

All in all really pleased with the outcome though. I didnt bat an eyelid going back today so perhaps I am on the way to overcoming my fear even more. Just wish a trip to the dentist didnt ever involve needles!

Keep us all posted with how your recovery goes x

Glad to hear it's okay! What a weight lifted off our shoulders huh? :) And yeah, I'm doing well! :)

I can't wait to go to the dentist now. I can honestly say, I've overcome my fear about 95%. (I still hate the needles too haha!)

Do you have stitches in your mouth where your extractions took place?

Back