Having all four wisdoms, plus one impacted. Never had any surgery before and very nervous!!

Y

yo0123yo

Having all four wisdoms, plus one impacted. Never had any surgery before and very nervous!!

I am 27 years old , about one year ago I was made aware by my then dentist that it would be in my best interest to have all four of my wisdom teeth extracted. They are not impacted and have come up but not completely, so this leaves a little flaps of skin that sometimes will bleed if I bite down too hard or even from brushing my wisdoms, since they are only like 75% erupted. Last week I had another dentist appointment and had two cavities filled and she also suggested that it would probably be better while I'm still "young" and under 30 and she gave me a referral to an oral surgeon which I am sitting in the waiting room at now. I am pretty scared. I definitely don't want to be awake for it. Can anyone describe the process and how your experience was? Do they usually extract all four in one visit? Also I am worried about pain even though I heard they give hydrocodone after, the reason why I am worried is because I take opiates recreationally so should I let the doctor know this and therefore ask for oxycodone? Don't really want to be looked at as a drug seeker when I will be needing them for pain. This is going to be my first surgery I'm so nervous.

Last edited:
Y

yo0123yo

Re: Having all four wisdoms, plus one impacted. Never had any surgery before and very nervous!!

Just left the office and the xray ended up showing four partially erupted wisdom teeth and then there is one that is impacted (or a tooth like mass), it is small and right next to my top left wisdom tooth. The dentist recommended general anesthesia and to be done in 2-4 weeks. Will attach the xrays when I get home.

Last edited:
Y

yo0123yo

Re: Having all four wisdoms, plus one impacted. Never had any surgery before and very nervous!!

ChrJJBK.jpg

In this Xray of my mouth you can see the mass I am talking about in the upper right hand corner right next to the wisdom tooth. It's not even causing me pain, should I still have it done? So scared lol. The doctor told me it's a fifth wisdom tooth.

D

ds680

I am 27 years old , about one year ago I was made aware by my then dentist that it would be in my best interest to have all four of my wisdom teeth extracted. They are not impacted and have come up but not completely, so this leaves a little flaps of skin that sometimes will bleed if I bite down too hard or even from brushing my wisdoms, since they are only like 75% erupted. Last week I had another dentist appointment and had two cavities filled and she also suggested that it would probably be better while I'm still "young" and under 30 and she gave me a referral to an oral surgeon which I am sitting in the waiting room at now. I am pretty scared. I definitely don't want to be awake for it. Can anyone describe the process and how your experience was? Do they usually extract all four in one visit? Also I am worried about pain even though I heard they give hydrocodone after, the reason why I am worried is because I take opiates recreationally so should I let the doctor know this and therefore ask for oxycodone? Don't really want to be looked at as a drug seeker when I will be needing them for pain. This is going to be my first surgery I'm so nervous.

I had all four of mine extracted in one visit (two erupted/two impacted). I opted for IV sedation, which was a total breeze. One minute you're awake, and in what feels like two minutes later you're in the recovery room (my actual surgery took over an hour).

I was lucky in that, despite a pretty complicated extraction, I didn't need any pain medication stronger than alternating between ibuprofen and Tylenol (I was prescribed hydrocodone, but I never took it). You should let your doctor know what you are taking (I had let my doctor know that I take Xanax for anxiety).

Y

yo0123yo

I had all four of mine extracted in one visit (two erupted/two impacted). I opted for IV sedation, which was a total breeze. One minute you're awake, and in what feels like two minutes later you're in the recovery room (my actual surgery took over an hour).

I was lucky in that, despite a pretty complicated extraction, I didn't need any pain medication stronger than alternating between ibuprofen and Tylenol (I was prescribed hydrocodone, but I never took it). You should let your doctor know what you are taking (I had let my doctor know that I take Xanax for anxiety).

If you don't mind me asking, when you told the doctor you were taking Xanax, were you self medicating or was it prescribed from a physician? What's scaring me from telling him that I am taking hydrocodone and Xanax every now and then recreationally is that he may look at me as a "drug seeker" who is looking to get the strongest painkiller and I don't want to have it backfire on me if I did tell him. Regarding the IV sedation, did you wake up groggy/nauseous or have any vomiting after waking up? How long after the extractions did the worst of the pain subside? Also were your impacted teeth more trouble than mine looks like it is in the xray? (Top right)

Last edited:
D

ds680

If you don't mind me asking, when you told the doctor you were taking Xanax, were you self medicating or was it prescribed from a physician? What's scaring me from telling him that I am taking hydrocodone and Xanax every now and then recreationally is that he may look at me as a "drug seeker" who is looking to get the strongest painkiller and I don't want to have it backfire on me if I did tell him. Regarding the IV sedation, did you wake up groggy/nauseous or have any vomiting after waking up? How long after the extractions did the worst of the pain subside? Also were your impacted teeth more trouble than mine looks like it is in the xray? (Top right)

If you don't mind me asking, when you told the doctor you were taking Xanax, were you self medicating or was it prescribed from a physician?
It was prescribed from a physician. I think it would backfire more if he gave you a medication that could potentially interact with what you're taking now (or if you have too high a tolerance for benzos). In my case, all he told me is that I couldn't take the Xanax a few days before my procedure.

Regarding the IV sedation, did you wake up groggy/nauseous or have any vomiting after waking up?
I was a little groggy, but much more coherent than I had expected (i.e., I wasn't Youtube-table). :) My grogginess lasted maybe 20-30 minutes, but you have to be accompanied by a responsible adult anyway. I never felt nauseous at all, nor did I vomit. I was just slurry for a little bit; by the time I got home about an hour later, I was having full coherent conversations with my Mom.

How long after the extractions did the worst of the pain subside?
My pain peaked around days 3 or 4, but it was never anywhere at the level I feared it would be. Like I said, it was totally manageable by alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol. I threw the Oxycontin away without ever needing to use them.

Also were your impacted teeth more trouble than mine looks like it is in the xray?
I admittedly can't read an x-ray very well. :) However, my oral surgeon told me that my teeth were a "time bomb." The top two were erupted, but badly decayed. The bottom two were impacted, with one having broken off several months beforehand. I got two opinions going into the surgery, and both of them indicated my surgery was going to be extremely rough (given the state of my teeth and my age at almost 35). But in the end, it truly wasn't as awful as I feared. I'm not saying I'd want to go through it ever again, but I'm here a month-and-a-half later and recovering just fine. :)

Y

yo0123yo

If you don't mind me asking, when you told the doctor you were taking Xanax, were you self medicating or was it prescribed from a physician?
It was prescribed from a physician. I think it would backfire more if he gave you a medication that could potentially interact with what you're taking now (or if you have too high a tolerance for benzos). In my case, all he told me is that I couldn't take the Xanax a few days before my procedure.

Regarding the IV sedation, did you wake up groggy/nauseous or have any vomiting after waking up?
I was a little groggy, but much more coherent than I had expected (i.e., I wasn't Youtube-table). :) My grogginess lasted maybe 20-30 minutes, but you have to be accompanied by a responsible adult anyway. I never felt nauseous at all, nor did I vomit. I was just slurry for a little bit; by the time I got home about an hour later, I was having full coherent conversations with my Mom.

How long after the extractions did the worst of the pain subside?
My pain peaked around days 3 or 4, but it was never anywhere at the level I feared it would be. Like I said, it was totally manageable by alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol. I threw the Oxycontin away without ever needing to use them.

Also were your impacted teeth more trouble than mine looks like it is in the xray?
I admittedly can't read an x-ray very well. :) However, my oral surgeon told me that my teeth were a "time bomb." The top two were erupted, but badly decayed. The bottom two were impacted, with one having broken off several months beforehand. I got two opinions going into the surgery, and both of them indicated my surgery was going to be extremely rough (given the state of my teeth and my age at almost 35). But in the end, it truly wasn't as awful as I feared. I'm not saying I'd want to go through it ever again, but I'm here a month-and-a-half later and recovering just fine. :)

Awesome thanks for sharing your experience!! I just thought of this... that tooth is just barely barely popping out of my gums(top right in the photo). I notice on the xray that the right side of the xray has a bigger "mass"? Is that tissue or is that my jawbone?? The worst news I could here would be that my jaw needs to be drilled in to. lol oh wow. Sorry guys I'm just so nervous its my first time ever getting any kind of surgery and of course drilling/cutting a tooth out of my jawbone would be my first surgery.