• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having all teeth surgically removed

M

memphis belle

Hi everyone. 26 yr old and 90 lbs female here from Memphis, TN, and I have a few questions. I suffer from panic disorder and am on 2 different meds for it since I was 17. I've never really had good teeth and never went to the dentist because I was afraid. When I was pregnant with my son my teeth rapidly went down hill, it through me into depression. I recently saved up enough money to get all of my teeth surgically removed, the dentist I saw said I had to go to a oral surgeon. They are giving me immediate dentures (thank god) after they are pulled and perm dentures 6 months after I've been told.

I was told by the dentist I saw that, I have gum disease and a lot of infection going on, cavities in every tooth with red gums. I keep getting abscess too they just keep coming back.

Can I be awake during the process when they remove all of them at once?? I'm terrified of being put to sleep!
How long will it take for them to remove them all? And finally how many time's do you think my immediate dentures will need to be relined?

My appointment with the oral surgeon is in 2 weeks and i'm terrified, but happy to get my new smile.

Last edited:
You are way braver than i am. If i can find an oral surgeon who can put me in the hospital under ga i would be happy. I dont want to see anything or feel anything. Wake up and its done. But i have ohio medicaid and no one is taking it so i sit home suffering and in terrible pain.

I'd be more calm if they were doing it in a hospital, but I was told it would be done at the oral surgeons office. I don't know if I can request otherwise though. I don't have any insurance i'm paying cash. :/

You don't need to be put out at all. If you aren't comfortable with it then request that they do it with just numbing you. It is your choice, ask them why they want to give you GA as against just the numbing. You wouldn't feel anything at all with being numb.

No one can tell you how many times your dentures will need altering, you will only know as and when you have them in.

It shouldn't take that long, when I have had any of my teeth removed they have only taken a couple of minutes. It will depend on how many teeth and the condition of them.

All the best to you :butterfly:

You are welcome, just remember 'YOU ARE IN CHARGE' and you have to give consent for any and all treatment including them even looking in your mouth. They are used to nervous patients and they will know how to put you at ease.

You must tell them that you don't want to be given GA and discuss the best way to get the extractions done. :butterfly:

I'd be more calm if they were doing it in a hospital, but I was told it would be done at the oral surgeons office. I don't know if I can request otherwise though. I don't have any insurance i'm paying cash. :/

I was wondering, is there any chance of getting implants? Is total removal your only option, especially if you are paying cash? With that amount of work, GA would probably be better and cause less anxiety. I am concerned because without your teeth, at such a young age, enjoying your food is totally different. Has the dentist/surgeon discussed what to expect, or your options that might require extensive treatment of gums instead of removal of all of your teeth? I wish you well and support your choice.

I was wondering, is there any chance of getting implants? Is total removal your only option, especially if you are paying cash? With that amount of work, GA would probably be better and cause less anxiety. I am concerned because without your teeth, at such a young age, enjoying your food is totally different. Has the dentist/surgeon discussed what to expect, or your options that might require extensive treatment of gums instead of removal of all of your teeth? I wish you well and support your choice.

Yes the dentist told me that all of my teeth need to be removed. They are all decaying beyond saving and it looks terrible. I'm afraid to even leave my house it's that bad. I also have a 3 year old to care for and need to start working. move on with my life happy etc..

Back