• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

having dental injection in 2days.. petrified! do they hurt

A

anna9

i went to the dentist after being to scared to go for yeas last week he told me i need sevddral extractions and fillings, as im sn scared im going to hospital to get them out but i dnt mind much about that its just the fillings. i am petrified of the needle how much does it hurt. i have such a horrible dentist he doesnt care that im nervous atall he is so rude. anyway he is the only nhs dentist in my area so i cant change him and i definatly cant pay. so can anyone tell me how bad the needles are wil i be ok. i dnt even no how many or what fillings im having or what teeth im having owt he didnt even tell me jhat. im so scared bt have to see him or my teeth wil stay bad forever. please help me im losing it.

Hi Anna, don't be afraid of the injections. It's just a little sting for a couple of seconds, and you only really feel the first couple of them. Ask for numbing jell first on your gums!

i went to the dentist after being to scared to go for yeas last week he told me i need sevddral extractions and fillings, as im sn scared im going to hospital to get them out but i dnt mind much about that its just the fillings. i am petrified of the needle how much does it hurt. i have such a horrible dentist he doesnt care that im nervous atall he is so rude. anyway he is the only nhs dentist in my area so i cant change him and i definatly cant pay. so can anyone tell me how bad the needles are wil i be ok. i dnt even no how many or what fillings im having or what teeth im having owt he didnt even tell me jhat. im so scared bt have to see him or my teeth wil stay bad forever. please help me im losing it.

just to add my dentist wnt give me numbing gel he ainte to lol he aint that nice

just to add my dentist wnt give me numbing gel he ainte to lol he aint that nice

Your dentist must really be a jerk. You should be able to get numbing gel if you ask for it. I also have had injections and there really not that bad. If done properly you won't feel any pain at all. It just has to be done very very slowly. I had a little pain, just a little because my dentist went a little fast with injecting the novocaine or whatever. I would look for a new dentist if I were you.

Hi Anna, I wonder if you have anyone that could go with you that might help you be a little more assertive with this dentist and really explain how scared you are. Are there any other dentists at the practice because you could ask to see another one.

nope im stuck with him ive rang around 8 other dentists trying to avoid him but none take nhs any more. i just got to do it and get it ova with. im just scared of needles. wil they hurt if he does it fast he is quiet rotgh im just preparing 4 the wosst x

Do you have a friend that could go with you to support you. Sounds like you need a friend right now :friends:I cant advise when it comes to needles because I have to be sedated for everything. So I am not conscious of having any needles. At least you will be going to hospital for the extractions. All I can say is there are many people here who feel the same as you and we all get through it somehow. So good luck with it all.

I wish you could find another dentist, even without the gel, and injection doesn't have to hurt. If the dentist injects really slowly it doesn't hurt, Keep trying to ring around other dentists and hopefully you can find a nice and considerate dentist.

I wish you well with the dentist you have, could you travel a little further to find a good one, I have been travelling for an hour and a half to see mine. It is a bit of a pain if it is for a 10 minute appointment but you gain with the procedures you may need.

I hope it all goes well for you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Could you write to the dentist and explain how frightened you are, and why if you know. I know you said he doesn't care but maybe he doesn't realise just how scared you are. Good luck :hug5:

I agree with all that's been said and add this: if it's at all possible, maybe you could put off treatment just until you save some money to go to a private dentist (I'm in the United States, so basically ALL of our dentists are private).
You should ABSOLUTELY insist on numbing gel before you get a Novacaine injection......this dentist sounds like a sadist and should be DISQUALIFIED as a dentist :devilish:!!!
I'm joining in a big :grouphug: for you!!

I agree with everything said above. As Jen says: If the dental work can wait it may well be worth saving up or getting dental insurance (if I remember tescos do one (so I assume all the supermarkets will compete) although depending on policy you may have to pay for anything found at your first check up) it will mean you can then carry on going to a dentist of your choice who isn't nasty.

As many of the posters have said: You should let this dentist know that he is scaring you. He may forget you are a person and not a set of teeth but at least reminding him he has standards to keep might help. A friend might help with this too because I know what it feels like to clam up in the chair and wish you had got to say something. And injections really don't have to hurt. I've had painless injections on the NHS (and about 10 years ago too when things wern't as great as now!) infact this being for my only 'injection-needed' dental work I've never had painful injections at the dentist! Honestly dental injections get a really bad reputation but I don't think there are even as painful as vaccinations!

Finally if he really won't give you numbing gel then could you put some bonjela adult/anbesol/other mouth ulcer gel on the area before he injects? Maybe the mods will correct me if this is a bad idea but these seem to have some numbing agent in them and might help.

petrified of injections getting first ever tomorrow do they hurt

i am getting my first ever dental injection tomorrow and in so scared i need filling i no i have to get it done bujdt im really nervous and been sick and not slept for nights ova this. to top it all i have a realy nasty dentist he dont care im scared atal please help me sum1 how much do they hurt, you can be honest.

Re: petrified of injections getting first ever tomorrow do they hurt

I've had some that don't hurt at all and some that hurt a bit. None have been unbearable. When its hurt its been like a pinch as the tip of the needle goes in and can be a bit sore as it comes out again. It's over in a matter of a few seconds.

I have had one dentist assure me it was going to be painless and it really didnt hurt at all. He wasn't the most sympathetic dentist either but he didnt hurt me. It might be worth having that conversation with your dentist beforehand, asking if their injections hurt. In my experience they will usually tell you the truth. I think some are more skilled with injections than others but they should all be able to do it with minimal if any pain I would think.

I was petrified too, in fact I've had fillings without anaesthetic because I couldn't bear the thought of a needle in my gum. It's really not that terrible, honestly. The fear is far worse than the pain itself. There's a good chance you won't feel any pain at all.

how much does a filling hurt without injection? my holes are tiny, well i think its them 1ns anymway he didnt tell me what ones are being extracted or needs fillings. he is horrible so im scared he going to be realy rough.

I know you said in another thread that your dentist won't use the gel, but if you feel you can ask him to inject you really slowly and it won't hurt at all. At the very worst it may hurt a bit, not unbearable though, for a few seconds. Don't let him start until you are numb, ask him to test the area before he starts. If you need more than one injection, you shouldn't feel the second one because you will be numb enough not to feel it usually.

I hope it goes really well for you, good luck. Try tell him how afraid of the injection you are, you never know, he might listen to you, it is worth a try. He might be better than you think. :hug5: :grouphug::butterfly:

I hope you feel after that you can come on and let us know how you went on. I would be very interested to hear from you. :)

i shall let you all know! i will ask for the gel and to tell him i might just die from a heart attack im that scared lol. im just thinking of the worst case scenario so it can only get better haha. x

That would depend on the hole, if they hit a nerve etc. I wouldn't recommend doing it without an injection...my experience of that is going back about 30 years ago, they probably wouldn't even do it now. Take some nice deep breaths as he's about to do it, by the time you have exhaled your first one it will probably be all over.

how much does a filling hurt without injection? my holes are tiny, well i think its them 1ns anymway he didnt tell me what ones are being extracted or needs fillings. he is horrible so im scared he going to be realy rough.

after six years of worry... DONE IT! advice for phobics

i have been very petrified of the dentist for all my life i was suppost to get trddatment years ago. bt refused as was to scared. i was in so much pain i thought enough was enough r got to get it sorted out. i made an appointment and i found owt i need 7+ extractions and 3 fillings i was mortified so scared i havent eaten or slept properly for awhile. today was the day of my filings and i was sbared never had any dental work done before and i knew i had to have needles for this. i went it kept my self calm just sat in the chair and let him get on i couldnt believe how calm i was as when i had my check up i had a panic attack and was. nearly passing out. i know it sounds mega scary bt the best way to do it is by just doing it. the thing i was phobic about mas needles and i didnt feel hardlz nothing and that was without numbiing gel i was so proud of myself. i had tge. worst images in my head bt it was no where near as bad i was a piece of cake and would do it again rite no. hope ths help sum1

Re: after six years of worry... DONE IT! advice for phobics

That's great, you finally did it.:jump::jump::jump::jump: I love to read these kind of stories as they're very wonderful to read. Hopefully this helps someone else besides me, I bet it will. Just wondering how much more treatment do you have left? I also think it will be easier for you since you've gotten past that first appointment, good luck with the rest of your treatment.:clover:

Glad it all went well for you Anna. How was the dentist, did you ask him about the injections before you got in the chair?

Thats great Anna well done :jump::jump::jump::jump:

Back