• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having iv sedation tomorrow

E

Eternal

I am having iv sedation tomorrow for root canal after having a history of local not working and then a horrible dentist who was uncaring and insensitive and a terrible extraction experience.

Anyway, this site has been amazing, i "was" quite chilled about tomorrow until I discovered all the wonderful success stories of iv sedation were private and the NHS version is much less effective.

Anyone had good NHS sedation experiences? Or should I cancel and look into private? I can't really afford it but if I can't go through a root canal in pain, local really doesn't work well.

I've had IV sedation on the NHS probably around 3 times - the first 2 times by a caring compassionate dentist who unfortunately went private. A few years ago my (then) current dentist noticed a small cavity and asked if I would like to try without IV. I agreed as getting sedation through my current surgery requires being referred elsewhere and that could be miles away. I managed! Within the last couple of years I have also had a RCT without IV. There are excellent dentists on the NHS.

I've had IV sedation on the NHS probably around 3 times - the first 2 times by a caring compassionate dentist who unfortunately went private. A few years ago my (then) current dentist noticed a small cavity and asked if I would like to try without IV. I agreed as getting sedation through my current surgery requires being referred elsewhere and that could be miles away. I managed! Within the last couple of years I have also had a RCT without IV. There are excellent dentists on the NHS.

How did you find the iv when you had it though? It seems in private they use three drugs whereas the NHS version only one.

I am having my first IV sedation session in a few days too! I have been quite scared about it, but from everything that I have read so far it seems like it should be fantastic. I am not dealing with NHS, but it seems to me that from what I've read almost all IV sedations go well. I'll be thinking of you, and hoping that you have a good day!

I had mine several years ago (probably 13) and was not aware that there were different drugs. It was administered by the dentist in to the back of my hand. I cannot remember much of what happened but it enabled me to get work done. The whole experience was positive (well as positive as a dental one can be!). Good luck

Back