• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having mild fear about extraction (at least two wisdoms)!

K

kaskader

Title sums it up, but here are some details:
I'm 25yo, and I have at least two wisdom teeth that need to be extracted. I don't know exactly why, but the idea of extraction scares me.. I have seen the size (length) of the roots that molars have, must have incredible grip..
One dentist previously told me that upper right wisdom tooth absolutely needs to be extracted - the way it erupted is what I call retarded. It's rotated outward, the surface that it used when you chew points to my cheek, not down.. otherwise, it's not painful, doesn't have caries (as far as I know), so it hasn't caused my pain so far - just this strange way of eruption.
The other one is the bottom right wisdom, it has severe caries- I went to dentist about a month ago (after I had had brutal amount of sharp pain there for a good week). I didn't get root canal tr., just usual filling. He told me he cannot guarantee that it's gonna be pain-free, so if I feel pain again, it needs to be extracted, no question.
I originally thought the treatment was successfull as the pain ceased after a few days. But in the last few days, I feel discomfort again, so I often take painkillers to ease it. I can barely chew on the right side now.. I know I cannot go on like this forever..
This bottom one still hasn't erupted fully, just partially- that's why I have fear, how can that be extracted without torturing me??

It's weird, because I've had two root canal treatments so, they were smooth, I only felt slight discomfort, little to no pain, and they say extraction is no worse if the doctor is skilled.

Can anyone comfort me?:(
I know it gotta happen sooner or later..

Wow Im so sorry to hear your in a lot of pain. I feel you though. :(
Its probably best to get them out so they dont cause you anymore issues. :( I had to have all four of mine out because they were giving me all sorts of issues for nearly 3 months. (from canker sores to even gingivitis...yuck T_T)

The exraction itself shouldn't hurt though when they do it. After all i would assume you would be numbed or knocked out. :scared: After getting them out its a bit uncomfortable for a few weeks but then your gums will heal and you'll be okay.

Definately see if you can get them out asap or some medicine to hold you over tho.

Thanks!

Looks like I'm gonna have to go the dentist (the one who filled lower right wisdom and told me I migh have problems with it in the future, and if so, it gotta be extracted) next week, preferably tomorrow, I really have to get it pulled out..:(
It hurts like damn hell now, and in the night it's even worse, I ususally wake up at least once because of the pain.

Hi,

During the treatment itself you should feel no pain. That's the dentist's responsibility and when it comes to extracting wisdom teeth it is 99.9999% chances of feeling no pain. You might feel pressure but certainly no discomfort.
The real challenge is the post operative pain. Here the clinical ability of the oral surgeon or dentist plays a role. There are ways to decrease this pain but there is always some discomfort after.

Thanks!

He used Ultracain the last time I was there, and of course that was effective.
I hope that's what he'll use this time, too.

And I also hope the damn teeth won't fracture when being pulled out.:rolleyes:

Back