• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having teeth fitted on to implants....

T

tazey

Maybe I shouldn't be asking this but is it painfull? What exactly happens at the appointment? there's still several long weeks to go before it's supposed to be happening.

Hi,

Once the implants are placed, all the other stages in the treatment are easy and comfortable. In most cases there is no need for anesthetica either (just to illustrate how easy it is)

I just don't want it being as painfull as my last visit the cap got loose+fell off just before xmas it was torture trying to sit there whilst he fixed it,he said he used numbing cream but it had zero effect.

I just don't want it being as painfull as my last visit the cap got loose+fell off just before xmas it was torture trying to sit there whilst he fixed it,he said he used numbing cream but it had zero effect.

I haven’t had the crowns put on yet, but I asked my oral surgeon about it, because I had the same question after having a healing cap put back on also. He told me it shouldn’t hurt at all, and that I wouldn’t need any shots. I sure hope that is the case, for you and me both!!

Do you know what type of teeth you are getting? Implant supported dentures or implant supported crowns?

The only reason I asked was that my implant supported crowns seemed to be fitted up under my gums; I did not feel anything because l was numbed. My research into implant supported dentures looked like the teeth were fitted over the gums and thus would be an easier fitting and no need to have local anaesthetic.

I can't see me having injections,who knows what will happen?

Is there any chance of phoning the clinic to find out what is supposed to happen? It must be awful going to see a dentist and not knowing what they will do! :( Especially after your last experience (which you managed really well, despite the surprise and the stress you had with it)

Can try but they never really tell you much,I've told him all along I don't do needles but he seems to think I'll suddenly change my mind+will agree. I've decided if this isn't done by march then I need to find somewhere else that is prepared to finish the work,don't care if I have to pay or travel it just needs doing.

It's valid to want to have some information and control over the course of the treatment. You may not feel much in control currently, but it is your health and your teeth. Glad you are determined to even go elsewhere if necessary. The part with needles is a hard one, maybe he wasn't aware of how severe this is. Some dentists are not even aware of how severe dental phobia can be in general so certainly there will be some who don't grasp severe needle phobia either. Or maybe think if there is no other option you will give in or something like that. Will you be able to take some meds beforehand this time?

Well I say go elsewhere but trying to find someone that will touch his work won't be easy. Yes I can take diazepam but it's a very small dose.

When I had mine put on, which was one crown on one implant, no pain at all and no injection needed. For me, they placed the crown on the implant, torked it in and took it off to make minor adjustments a few times. Once the dentist was satisfied, he placed it in, torked it in and then placed filing material over the screw to hide it.

the only thing I felt was slight pressure after the torking, but it fades away pretty quickly. They use a tool that ensures they apply the perfect level of force when they do the torking and stops when it’s tight enough.

I actually had a nice surprise that day. When I went to pay, I was informed that the lab cost was cheaper than what they had initially quoted for me.

When I had mine put on, which was one crown on one implant, no pain at all and no injection needed. For me, they placed the crown on the implant, torked it in and took it off to make minor adjustments a few times. Once the dentist was satisfied, he placed it in, torked it in and then placed filing material over the screw to hide it.

the only thing I felt was slight pressure after the torking, but it fades away pretty quickly. They use a tool that ensures they apply the perfect level of force when they do the torking and stops when it’s tight enough.

I actually had a nice surprise that day. When I went to pay, I was informed that the lab cost was cheaper than what they had initially quoted for me.

This is what I was told as to how it would feel. I sure hope so!
Also, would love to get a lower price than quoted! How amazing is that?

I just want to skip to March to see if that's when it will end hate living in limbo,was ment to have a day out today (booked last april+was looking forward to it) but the fatigue is just so bad at the mo going out for 9hrs just seemed impossible esp after a not so great sleep so really ruins everything.

Back