• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Heading to the dentist after 20+ years of not going

B

Beth F

Hello!~~I am finally going to see the dentist after not going for over 20 years. Prior to this achievement, I met with a psychologist who actually introduced me to the dentist who has an office down the hallway from the psychologist's office. I talked with the dentist on the phone after emailing him questions about the treatment to an anxiety ridden person like me. He was so nice and answered every question and even told me that he treats his patients like family and his whole approach is gentle and as pain free as possible. I'm going in on Feb 3rd for my first exam and consultation. He will prescribe me one Valium just in case I need it to take the edge off.
The most unexpected thing about this is how my thinking has shifted. I've lived for years in a secret shame of my dental avoidance. My teeth looked fine but I know there are nasty things happening from not getting a through cleaning. Now that I'm going I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I know that I will be in complete control at the dentist office. I know that the dentist will not cause me pain or be judgemental. And to be honest I'm actually looking forward to finally after all these years in getting my complete dental health back, so i don't have to worry and I have a dentist I can trust. My past experiences since childhood have involved all terrible dental experiences, so trust is a huge issue for me. This current dentist fully understands that. His practice thrives from word of mouth and his reviews are great. I'm just glad he is taking me on.
So, I have to tell you all that if I can go, you can go. I will give a follow up after my visit and let you know how things went.
Thank you for reading this for being a wonderful virtual support system. XXOO

Well done and good luck! Please let us know how it goes :clover:

Thank you! I certainly will :)

That’s wonderful!