• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Health problems, dental problems. So scared!

Sorry to read that you had a hard day today. Life is about ups and downs and a dental journey certainly is. Sometimes the best thing is to allow yourself to feel down. I hope they reply soon. Maybe the receptionist wanted to make sure to check with the dentist and maybe that took some time. Maybe the dentist was out of office. Hope they reply on Monday, kindly and reassuringly. There are kind caring dentists out there and it’s just a matter of time until you find your one. Sending prayers... and as always, feel free to write as much as you like ;)

Sorry to read that you had a hard day today. Life is about ups and downs and a dental journey certainly is. Sometimes the best thing is to allow yourself to feel down. I hope they reply soon. Maybe the receptionist wanted to make sure to check with the dentist and maybe that took some time. Maybe the dentist was out of office. Hope they reply on Monday, kindly and reassuringly. There are kind caring dentists out there and it’s just a matter of time until you find your one. Sending prayers... and as always, feel free to write as much as you like ;)
Thanks Enarete. Your always so helpful :grouphug: Most of our dentists close on Fridays at noon, so hopefully Monday one will reply. Im trying to find one in my town since I don't drive (yep, phobia there too) otherwise its an hour each way... hopefully my walk will cheer me up. Its almost 50⁰ today so yay for being able to do it outside in the sunshine instead of the treadmill.☀️

Well.. another day, another post. Had a huge melt down last night.. made the mistake of looking at my gums.. noticed some discoloration, they're in horrible shape and this sent me Into a panic attack. After chatting with the hubs, we think its probably the vigorous brushing I've been doing coupled with my anemia (I barely need to bump into something and I've a horrible bruise) idk if that's possible but doesn't sound to far fetched.. hopefully that thought and his reassurance will keep me a bit calmer thru the weekend and the rest of the days to come until a dentist mails me back. ???

Well another day another journal entry lol. Trying to stay positive. Im finding i have many "sad" moments in the mornings, shortly after taking my antidepressant. It's only been about 10 days but will definitely bring it up to my Dr Thursday. Also still quite a bit of anxiety that sneaks up daily. I know this is a dental forum and not mental health so I hope this doesn't bore anyone lol. However most of my anxiety is because of dental issues.Still trying to get myself to make that call. Sadly, im not quite there yet. I am still very nervously waiting to hear back thru emails.. not feeling very confident today.

? really feeling like quite the failure today. My poor son is having problems with his teeth again. We took him a month or so ago and his wisdom teeth need extracted surgically and he has a flap of skin over one that was infected.. well he finished his antibiotic and was rinsing the area with salt water and syringe provided. All was good & Hubs called and requested his new insurance card as we didn't have a recent one. We are still waiting that card to make the appt with the oral surgeon (we need proof of insurance even tho the dentist has it on file I guess) and today my son woke up with his mouth hurting. I feel so guilty for thinking of my own problems and I completely dropped the ball on his.. ugh. Hubs will call this afternoon, hopefully they can do something to help again. ???

Good morning! Well, got my sons issue about sorted and the awesome dentists office gave us a couple tips to make his oral surgery appt, so will absolutely do that in a day or 2. Thank heavens for all of that!! Such a huge relief!!

I've decided that today.. today IS going to be a GREAT day!! I refuse to let anything get me down today and will see the positive in everything.

Its a sleepy, coffee much needed, kind of morning. Its going to be a beautiful 60⁰ sunny day! ☀️?? I hope you all have a great day!!

Having a hard morning. Hubs is taking my paperwork back to the dentist on Monday and im a complete mess! Idk why im so scared. But I am. Always thinking the absolute worst. I know i need these issues looked at and I need help resolving them.. I cant do it alone. My husband and family will be here no matter what.. i just feel so overwhelmed and lately everything I've been doing seems to make things worse. Im afraid the dentist will say I never brush my teeth.. and I do, every day. Idk how to floss, I never learned and now im afraid to do so.. im afraid to do it wrong, im afraid of making myself bleed and if I do, will it stop? Im on blood thinners and have anemia.. what happens if I start to bleed and can't stop it? What if I need lots of work, not if, when. Will I be able to even have it done? Can it be done safely? Im so afraid and panicked. I know I need to do this, just very overwhelmed.

Having a hard morning. Hubs is taking my paperwork back to the dentist on Monday and im a complete mess! Idk why im so scared. But I am. Always thinking the absolute worst. I know i need these issues looked at and I need help resolving them.. I cant do it alone. My husband and family will be here no matter what.. i just feel so overwhelmed and lately everything I've been doing seems to make things worse. Im afraid the dentist will say I never brush my teeth.. and I do, every day. Idk how to floss, I never learned and now im afraid to do so.. im afraid to do it wrong, im afraid of making myself bleed and if I do, will it stop? Im on blood thinners and have anemia.. what happens if I start to bleed and can't stop it? What if I need lots of work, not if, when. Will I be able to even have it done? Can it be done safely? Im so afraid and panicked. I know I need to do this, just very overwhelmed.

Hi StephscaredAF, sorry to hear your feeling overwhelmed, I know I’m the same always thinking the worst, but the worst I had worried about happening at the dentists has never happened! Sounds like you have a really good support network which is so good to use. Don’t worry about the dentist judging you on your brushing or flossing they are not there to judge. Remember it’s easy to think you need so much done, but, it may not be the case (I thought I had so many more teeth that had problems than it turned out) and you can take anything you do need doing at your own pace, there’s no pressure or rush to do it all in one go, but take it one step at a time as you feel comfortable with. Don’t forget you are in control of your treatment! Hope this helps

Also for the worry about anemia blood thinners and bleeding, maybe try posting in the ask a dentist forum? And let your dentist know?

Last edited:
Ty for your reply...The last one i went to,, idk it felt like he did judge.. I get horrible plaque build up,, especially on my front bottom teeth. I asked,, what i could to to help keep it from building up,, and was told "IDK some people's just do that" I also asked why my teeth hurt, (upper back teeth) which is the whole reason I made that appointment.. and was again told "IDK there's absolutely nothing wrong with them" .. idk but I felt very dismissed and talked down to, like whatever I said or did wasn't going to matter anyway.. it took a lot to make that appointment and I cried the entire time... makes doing it this time SO MUCH harder and I know I need help more now than ever. I just don't know if I can take that again plus whatever horrible news Wil follow.. ugh.. I hate this. I wish I was stronger.

Ty for your reply...The last one i went to,, idk it felt like he did judge.. I get horrible plaque build up,, especially on my front bottom teeth. I asked,, what i could to to help keep it from building up,, and was told "IDK some people's just do that" I also asked why my teeth hurt, (upper back teeth) which is the whole reason I made that appointment.. and was again told "IDK there's absolutely nothing wrong with them" .. idk but I felt very dismissed and talked down to, like whatever I said or did wasn't going to matter anyway.. it took a lot to make that appointment and I cried the entire time... makes doing it this time SO MUCH harder and I know I need help more now than ever. I just don't know if I can take that again plus whatever horrible news Wil follow.. ugh.. I hate this. I wish I was stronger.

Oh no that doesn’t sound too helpful. It’s not helpful for them to be dissmisive or judge you. They don’t know just how much it can take for dental phobics to just be there in the first place! Well done for having the courage to go again! Are you seeing a new dentist this time? If so, maybe you could tell them you have felt dismissed/judged in the past so they might be more sensitive. I know I have had a similar issue from a dentist ‘telling me just to be brave’ bare in mind this was on referral to a sedation centre for anxiety and I know how upset it made me. But I now try to take such comments more with a pinch of salt as they don’t have the place to judge me in my mind, but I know it’s hard to not take it to heart. I try and think maybe, just as we are all human and have off days maybe that was why they were unhelpful that day, not that it excuses it or makes it any better.

Oh no that doesn’t sound too helpful. It’s not helpful for them to be dissmisive or judge you. They don’t know just how much it can take for dental phobics to just be there in the first place! Well done for having the courage to go again! Are you seeing a new dentist this time? If so, maybe you could tell them you have felt dismissed/judged in the past so they might be more sensitive. I know I have had a similar issue from a dentist ‘telling me just to be brave’ bare in mind this was on referral to a sedation centre for anxiety and I know how upset it made me. But I now try to take such comments more with a pinch of salt as they don’t have the place to judge me in my mind, but I know it’s hard to not take it to heart.
Thanks again. This is a new dentist. I've not met him thanks to my fear.. my husband and son have met him and they really like him.. I think one reason I'm so afraid this time is the fear of being alone .. my husband has always gone to any kind of appointment with me, (I have white coat syndrome, big time) until now.. this covid has changed everything and now I feel scared and alone and all my appointments.. the time I need him to be with me the most and he isn't allowed to be.. idk if I can handle this alone with everything else, it feels like to much. I know he will be there and supporting me no matter what, I just don't know that im strong enough.

That’s okay. That’s really good if they like him and recommend you go to him to when they know your fears. I don’t know what the current rules are on having someone with you during covid as I know this is something I would have struggle going alone too. I’m an adult and my dad comes with me still! Have you tried asking your dentist if your husband can come given the circumstance as I think my dentist says more come alone if you can. I suppose children and people who need careers can have them come so maybe allowed? Maybe even if it’s just the first time you meet the dentist? Maybe you or your husband could call and explain the situation?

He's going to take my paperwork back on Monday and speak with them again then.. please if any of you believe in the power of prayer, I could definitely use all I can get. I know this fear sounds silly and I do feel ashamed being so scared by it.. but I just am.

It’s not silly, and you shouldn’t feel ashamed. Many of us here have the similar fears!

Shouldn't, but do. Just having a ho hum super hard poor me kind of day.. try to stay chipper and look at the positives but some days I just can't see them as clearly. I worry about the absolute worst being wrong, the worst scenarios and being hated for the shape of my teeth/gums. My fam NEVER treats me like a burden, yet I feel like one. Sorry for the blahs today but glad I have somewhere to voice my concerns. Ty again for your replies, they help so much more than you know.

Been a while, just a quick update. My son has dental surgery tomorrow morning to remove the wisdom tooth causing him troubles.. he's nervous as is his Mama, any prayers would be amazing!! Also, finally made an appt to meet a dentist.. its next Tuesday and im super nervous already.. its JUST to meet him and make sure I'm ok with him, but its a start and I'm glad for it. I hope everyone is doing well ?

Been a while, just a quick update. My son has dental surgery tomorrow morning to remove the wisdom tooth causing him troubles.. he's nervous as is his Mama, any prayers would be amazing!! Also, finally made an appt to meet a dentist.. its next Tuesday and im super nervous already.. its JUST to meet him and make sure I'm ok with him, but its a start and I'm glad for it. I hope everyone is doing well ?

Well done on taking the first steps and making an appointment to go to meet the dentist. That’s amazing. And it’s great to take it at your own pace and just meet them. Hope your sons wisdom teeth appointment goes well tomorrow. I know there is lots of posts on here about the experience which are reassuring to here the positive experiences. I have had mine out too and it was no where near as bad as I had imagined.

thanks Molar_bear! I'm excited yet so so nervous for my appt. Praying it goes well! My son will no doubt be just fine.. my hubs had a bit of a horror story with his removal and im nervous about my son having the same issues, im sure he won't tho as procedures have changed a lot for the better ??

thanks Molar_bear! I'm excited yet so so nervous for my appt. Praying it goes well! My son will no doubt be just fine.. my hubs had a bit of a horror story with his removal and im nervous about my son having the same issues, im sure he won't tho as procedures have changed a lot for the better ??

Yes dentistry, has come such a long way even really in the last few years, it’s always improving. Wisdom teeth removal is so common theses days they are probably well versed it in, so hopefully should be just fine. Is there anything you can do to stay positive and distracted the closer your appointments get.

I'm not sure.. the first appt is just to meet with him and be sure I'm comfortable, so maybe after that it will be a little bit easier.. im hopeful anyway.?

Back