• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Health problems, dental problems. So scared!

Been a while, just a quick update. My son has dental surgery tomorrow morning to remove the wisdom tooth causing him troubles.. he's nervous as is his Mama, any prayers would be amazing!! Also, finally made an appt to meet a dentist.. its next Tuesday and im super nervous already.. its JUST to meet him and make sure I'm ok with him, but its a start and I'm glad for it. I hope everyone is doing well ?

Heyy, so you are having an appointment scheduled, that‘s great. And if it‘s just to meet and greet, it‘s even better. I went over your journal lately wondering whether they replied in between, because I remembered it was few days without a reply but wasn‘t sure whether I missed something. If they agreed to see you just for a chat, it must be an amazing practice. I am sure the visit will be a success. Still scary though, the waiting time for an apt can be so difficult...

I agree with @Enarete, they sound like a great practice, as I know it is hard to to find a practice able to do just a meet and great. Not impossible but I think just depends on the practice. (Thinking uk NHS here in general practice, not NHS special care dentistry etc or private)

Sorry, I dont think you missed anything. I've kind of been all over the place lately. Between other appointments and my sons appointments, I've been pretty scatter brained. Ty both for the support! It does seem like a great practice, im truly hoping it is. Im kind of looking forward to the meet & greet, but still super nervous at the same time. ??
It was SO hard to go with my son today! He ended up getting both bottom wisdom teeth out, and he's done amazing today! Praying he continues to recover without much pain or difficulty ??

they never did reply to the email but my hubs talked to them a couple times and really urged me to meet with the dentist as he really likes him.. the wait is definitely hard, but with my schedule, and theirs that day worked best. Since it's just the meet and greet I won't stress it quite as much as the actual first appt. I hope.

Well, I did it. I went to meet my dentist. Even let him look in my mouth.. was anxious and panicked and cried the whole time but I did it. Next weds I go for x-rays. Then will talk cleaning and what else needs done.. he said I have tons of build up and probably some periodontal disease(which I did already know) but he didn't make me feeling the worst human on earth as previous dentists had, he even joked a bit and helped to put me at ease. I want to be proud of myself for this monumental step (it was a huge leap for me) but as of now I'm still fighting the anxiety/panic.. maybe later tho, when it passes. ??

Well done! Congratulations that’s amazing. Doesn’t matter that you cried, because you did it! I cried when I went too. That’s so good they will let you build up in little steps too and at your own pace. And wow they sound great. There is no need for the to make people feel out down about the condition of there teeth, like that’s why your there! Honestly though from my experience the more you go the more the panic fades and more manageable it feels. Also well done for going with your son even though it was tough for you. Good luck for your x rays next. Keep us updated

Thanks MB! They even said they'd give me nitrous if I wanted for the cleaning and even for the x-rays if I thought it would help. I said it probably would, I've never had it before but anything to make things easier won't be turned down. Im SO glad your anxiety faded a bit, im hoping for the same results ? I know it will take some time. My son is such a trooper! Its a week tomorrow since his extractions and he's doing great, we're still experimenting with foods but he's doing amazingly well, and not at all worried about having the top 2 done next year! super proud of him! Ty so much for your support! ?? I will definitely keep posting.

Do you did it! (I wasn't expecting anything else ;)) The dentist must have been awesome and put you at ease if you even let him take a look, that's amazing!:cheer2:
When acomplishing something this big, we often expect the huge stone finally falling down from our chest, a sense of huge relief and proudness... just to find out that the huge boom didn't happen. Instead it is sometimes a mixture of shock, anxiety, numbness and exhaustion... and that's ok because some stones don't fall down but rather crumble away gradually and it's ok to be exhausted rather than purely happy after a marathon. :) I am sure the proudness will kick in sooner or later.

So how are you gonna treat yourself for this huge step? :)

Thanks Enarete! I feel relieved, honestly. But yeah, not proud yet.. still super worried about x-rays and cleaning, maybe will feel a bit better after that. I am going to treat myself tho, by spending the weekend with my grandson. ?? tysm for your words of encouragement!!

Today! Today is x-ray day.. im super freaked about it.?? and its not for another 5 hours..my doctor prescribed me a small dose of Xanax to take 30mins before and the dental assistant is going to give me a dose of nitrous before to help but im still very nervous. I know it won't hurt its just my anxiety and panic kicking in. I have another appt an hour after this, so I'm hoping it's quick. I want to get started with all of this but am so glad to be going so slowly.. im scared to know how much work will need done and praying its not as much as I think it will be. ☹?

Well... I survived :cheer:not the best news, periodontal disease and lots of bone loss, but going to start with root planing and scaling.. going to do it in 4 appointments then remove the ones that are definitely needed, at least 2.. then cleaning every 4 months if I heal ok.. with my anemia, I may end up having to go with a upper denture and lower partial, but hopefully the scaling and planing will work well. Will have the first done on April 14th... if anyone has stories that may help, please feel free to share. Thanks for the support y'all. ??

Well.. another day, another post. Had a huge melt down last night.. made the mistake of looking at my gums.. noticed some discoloration, they're in horrible shape and this sent me Into a panic attack. After chatting with the hubs, we think its probably the vigorous brushing I've been doing coupled with my anemia (I barely need to bump into something and I've a horrible bruise) idk if that's possible but doesn't sound to far fetched.. hopefully that thought and his reassurance will keep me a bit calmer thru the weekend and the rest of the days to come until a dentist mails me back. ???
I haven’t finished reading your posts yet, but I suffer from advanced peridontal disease. I was a very vigorous brusher. Please be gentle with your gums! I’d hate for you to be in more pain than you need to be. Vigorous brushing can cause your gums to recede.

I haven’t finished reading your posts yet, but I suffer from advanced peridontal disease. I was a very vigorous brusher. Please be gentle with your gums! I’d hate for you to be in more pain than you need to be. Vigorous brushing can cause your gums to recede.
Ty for your reply! Its great to meet you! I try not to brush to vigorously but do try to be sure I get the gumline. I believe my anemia plays into the coloration of my gums as some days they look great, other days they look awful, I try not to look to much lol. Im not 100% sure on that, maybe one day when I'm not so wound up at the dentists office, I'll ask him.?? I pray the root scaling and planing helps and I can get my mouth to a somewhat healthy state, at least for a bit as I'm not a good candidate for anesthesia at this time and would otherwise need them removed 2-3 at a time, which is something I'd rather not put myself thru. ???? ok I'm rambling lol tysm for your advice and I hope my anxiety thru this journey isn't too discouraging. ?

Well. Tomorrow morning at 8:30am I go for my first root scaling & planing. Only 1/4 of my mouth is being done.. im really anxious already. I really don't know what the procedure entails and im way to panicked to look up anything about it so idk what to expect. I worry about the amount of blood loss and my teeth falling out during the procedure. Silly, right? ??

Good luck for today! Fears are not silly, they are just not true. Your teeth won’t fall our during the procedure and you won’t suffer blood loss. When it comes to expectations, it will be some vibration, water, noises and the sensetion on “something” being done on your teeth. Most people expect bad thing for scaling and root planing and come back surprised about how easy it was. You have an amazing dental team, they will look after you well :)

Thanks SO much for that Enarete. I know realistically nothing bad will happen but trying to relay that to my panic disorder, I cant seem to get that worked out just yet.. no matter how much I try to tell myself ill be just fine. Itz super hard and equally frustrating.

Thinking of you today! I know you’ll do great. Please keep us posted. ❤️

Thank y'all!! I did it and im home. Not gonna lie, parts of it hurt like hell due to all the sensitivity & build up and one area is still bleeding a bit, but the hygienist was so awesome, she talked to me and gave me breaks, the gas was a huge help as well.. I did it. The front bottom teeth which are my most sensitive are done, for now.

Thank y'all!! I did it and im home. Not gonna lie, parts of it hurt like hell due to all the sensitivity & build up and one area is still bleeding a bit, but the hygienist was so awesome, she talked to me and gave me breaks, the gas was a huge help as well.. I did it. The front bottom teeth which are my most sensitive are done, for now.
Hooray! You did it! Give yourself a pat in the back because that’s amazing! Hope the sensitivity/discomfort goes away soon. ❤️

Thanks TBK!! Back in 2 weeks to do another area ?

Back