• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hello,everybody!!!

B

bonnie2go2000

Hi all!This is my first posting after avidly reading everyone else's.
I finally did it yesterday!After 30+ years of ignoring the fact that dentists actually exist,I looked in the mirror and decided enough was enough!After getting over some personal issues a few years ago which resulted in me being sick all the time,I realised that the damage it had done to my front teeth had to be faced.
I don't know what it's like for everyone else but here in the UK,it's hard enough to find a dentist let alone make an appointment.Anyway,after much trawling through the phone book,I found one,gritted what's left of my teeth and joined the practice.My first appointment is 4 weeks away and I'm a quivering wreck :hidesbehindsofa:.I refuse to give in to the urge to cancel so please wish me luck!And to anyone else considering making that first step,do it!!If I can(and I'm the biggest wuss there is!)then anyone can xx

I think that's great.You're on your way to a healther you.I'm a fine one to talk.I finally made my first voluntary appt.( not counting toothaches etc.)in 56 yeah count em 56 yrs.I only have 17 cavities ouch...Didn't realize I have that mant teeth.Real nice dentist.gave me a valium scrip.and will also use gas.If
he gets me too comfy I'll probably go back for cleanings every month ;DGood luck we're all in the same boat.Wonderful support group

Hi there bonnie2go2000 and :welcome:. You've come to the right place because there are so many of us with such similar stories to yours. Good for you for making that first appt and though 4 weeks may seem a long time and you'll be tempted to cancel, it will go quicky and you know that you mustn't cancel because it will be all the harder to make another one. I felt just like that, made the appointment then scared to go and find out what needed doing, but as so many have said, and its so true, your imagination makes things much worse than the reality. Dentists have changed so much, no dental smell, no hostility and impatience from the dentist. I don't know what part of the UK you're in, and hope you've found the right dentist. I'm in Wales, but actually chose to go up to London and so pleased with my decision. You'll know if your dentist is the right one for you, and if you feel at all uncomfortable in any way, then I advise you to look around. I have nearly finished my dental journey and though common sense had the battle with my terror that I must keep going, I am convinced that it was only through posting my fears and reading everyone elses stories, and getting their support that I was actually able to see it through. You will too. As dental phobics know, after years of not even being able to talk about teeth or dentists once you've found this site, it is so easy and such a relief to unburden yourself, to find people who share the same fears. In fact, I think so many of us have gone completely the other way from being unable to talk about teeth to being quite obsessive. Anyhow, welcome again to this site, and look forward to reading your future postings as you progress through your dental journey. :grouphug:

Thank you,everybody,for replying(I'm quite choked....lol).What lovely people you all are,you've given me the boost I needed to feel proud of myself!!
In the midst of my panic,I didn't actually notice that there isn't a "dentist smell" but now I think on,there wasn't!Good start,I think!
So once again,thanks for the warm welcome and support :XXLhug:

Hi there!!

Please don't cancel, I too have to make an appointment Tuesday and I am terrified, let's all help each other through each visit together. If I can go. I promise YOU can, my legs shake so badly when I'm in the chair, my whole body shudders!! In a very short time I feel so relieved at sharing everyone's stories on this site, it has spurred me on a little, (still terrified though) I'll let you know what happens to me Tuesday, and when my next appointment is, one thing I've learned here is ...'you are not alone', when I go next week, I'll be thinking of all of you fellow phobics just like me and I know it will help...every :grouphug:one is rooting for you..

There seem to be quite a few of us going to be at the dentists on Tuesday, so let's all think of each other and I know we'll all get through whatever the dentist has to throw at us with flying colours. Good luck to one and all. :grouphug:

Back