• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hello fellow phobics :)

S

ScaredyCat22

It's been a while since I posted on the trials of being me lol so I thought I'd post an update. I am actually feeling ok these days. I have not been having that nearly constant pain and I think it may have been some temporary nerve damage from so many shots and I am hopeful that it has finally healed itself.
I was going to write a letter to the dentist who broke my tooth, in hopes that getting it all off my chest and telling them how I have continued to suffer would help me let go of the rage that I feel. But they were so unprofessional and so uncaring that I didn't think it would matter to them in the least. So instead I wrote it out and posted it on a review site. I stuck to the facts instead of the emotions and it did make me feel better.

Monday was my birthday and it made me a little sad that I had "outlived" my tooth and that it wasn't here to eat my birthday dinner with me. I know that sounds silly but try as I might I am having a harder time than I expected getting used to this huge gap. I wish it had been any other tooth but a first molar. I'd even prefer a front tooth that is clearly visible because I don't chew on those and I don't think it would make a bit of difference other than appearance and at my age I am not exactly worried nobody will ask me to the prom:giggle:
So anyway, all in all I am doing well. I still have an abnormally unhealthy amount of fear that something may happen to make me unable to chew on the other side as well. That one of my 34 year old fillings may chip and lead to another extraction. But I don't think about it 24/7 now that the pain has stopped. And when I do think about it tell myself that just because one shoddy dentist was incapable of redoing a filling without fracturing my root does not mean all dentists are that unskilled, and there is every possibility that if I need a filling replaced it can be done without causing tooth loss.

I'm glad that you feel more positive and are no longer in pain and thinking about teeth 24/7. Your dentist was a disgrace and I personally would have written a letter of complaint and a request for a refund. But it's probably more beneficial to your health to just let it go and, as you say, realise that not all dentists are like that.

I'm glad that you feel more positive and are no longer in pain and thinking about teeth 24/7. Your dentist was a disgrace and I personally would have written a letter of complaint and a request for a refund. But it's probably more beneficial to your health to just let it go and, as you say, realise that not all dentists are like that.

Thanks Carriss,
I know the dentist saw my review because I actually got a response from their mother! which I thought was inappropriate, but knowing the dentist saw it is good enough for me. Getting the money back wouldn't make me feel better. I even considered suing because I was told it qualifies as malpractice but no amount of money would make me feel better and it would not really hurt the dentist because it all comes out of their malpractice insurance anyway. So I'm just moving on.

How are you feeling these days? How's the bridge doing? Do you have an appointment coming up?

The only other recourse is a complaint to the licensing board... But this can be a tough process.

That said, so glad you're feeling better! And, glad to see a new thread from you :). I'll likely be starting another myself as I have an appt coming up in less than a month.

Take good care, my friend!

Thank you Fearful, and good to see you. Good luck with your appointment :)

Back