• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hello well I overcame a huge fear today.

M

Midvalley

Hello guys and gals I'm new here but let me first say I have a dental fear that goes back to when I was a kid. I always put off dental work because of this fear. It's no fun last tooth I had pulled before today was about 3 years ago and was abseced and want able to be numbed. Needless to say that about did me in. The pain I had from that tooth was by far the most excruciating pain I've ever had and I've had about 30 surgerys so I know pain and csn deal with it well. Any way when that tooth popped out I jumped out the dentist chair and said a word I shouldn't of but I was just so in shock at that point. So just trying to give you all a run down of where my fear stems from there.

About 3 weeks ago I said I have had enough , enough of not being able to smile always feeling down about my teeth not to mention always and I mean ALWAYS hurting. So I made me a dentist appointment went to the dentist and had a consultation at which time he informed me I had multiple issues that needed addressing. First and foremost getting the bad ones out. So I made a second apointment to do so. Guess what I actually kept this appointment which is totally uncarictoristic of me and my fears. Got there this morning at 7 am was scheduled to have 3 out and only had 2 which was a bumer but the 3rd was to badly abseced for him to pull as the absess has crossed over my nasal cavity but it's not called that I forget what the correct term was he used. I thought I was done and nope not yet kind of deflating really.

But I'd like to anyway share my experience with you guys Not saying u feel the same but this is how I felt. I was extremely nervous and anxiety ridden before I even got there I slept exactly 0.0 hours last night and swore as 6 and then 630 came I wasn't going but I went. Got back there sat down nerves were bad but manageable the nurse was really nice and kept my mind busy about my kids and all before the Dr came in. Once he came in we talked awhile and decided to do 2 massive deep feelings before we extracted the teeth so he rubbed this jelly stuff on my gums to numb them and let me tell you if you have not had this before PLEASE ask for it if it does for you what it did for my you won't feel a thing honestly I felt nothing on the outside of my mouth none of the shots. Only shot I kinda felt was in the roof of my mouth and it was just a little pinch and only lasted a second didn't really hurt though just a pinch it was very manageable. After the feelings were done and I may add they look great perfect like I never had a mark there he then gave me more shots to continue on and start pulling the teeth didn't hurt again not at all. When he started to pull them it's just a really weird feeling u automatically want to shift your head the direction he pushes but I really didn't have to I mean yes it was pressure alot of pressure the first one came out and I didn't really even know it had came out the second one was a little stubborn and took a few more shots and some mighty pulling and pushing but it popped when it popped I won't lie I felt it I even said wow very softly when it popped But it wasn't so bad that I should of been putting off my dental health for years and years over. When it was done and I was sitting there I even told the nurse I felt so stupid because I've been so afraid and put it off so long. I do have heart palpitations and I will not let them use lidocaine with epi in it They gave a kind with out any epi and other then nerves having my heart beating faster I never had the explosive heart beating out of my cheat like I've had with the epi.

I just wanted to share my story because I searched long and hard for this type of answer before I went to the dentist and couldn't find much but I hadn't found this fourm yet which seems to be loaded with info good and bad. Hope maybe I can help someone our by reading this. Thanks for reading and take care.

I'm glad this time your dentist appointment went well:) I've been through everything you described ! But you are on your way to having a nice smile and healthy teeth.

Ok well i made the appointment with the oral surgeon and that didnt go as planned. He kind of laughed when he read the paper from my dentist stating i had a huge dental fear so i told him to piss off and walked out. That was months ago i was so set on getting my plate done and to have one tooth stopping it is so degrading. Anyway i called my dentist and made a appointment for monday talked to him he said he woukd try to do it his self. So thats where i am right now with my process. I have 2 that are abcessed now and hurt so maybe ill get the strenght to have him take both on monday so i can stop hurting and order my plate Only time will tell. But i will say my last appoitment there went great no issues but im still freaking out again for monday. Lord help me.

Back