• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! 3 weeks post extraction pain...

K

Kluch

I have posted a couple times since getting my lower wisdom tooth out 3 weeks ago. It was fully erupted, and came out quickly, soon after I noticed a hard, tender white bump on the tongue side next to the extraction site. The oral surgeon told me to hang in there that it should get better in a few weeks. He said it is the lingual plate, that is sticking out due to the tooth socket being empty without the tooth there, and more often than not, it should go back to the way it was. My problem is, the discomfort is now turning into pain, and I am pretty miserable. The bone is tiny, not protruding through the gum, but you can see it through the gum tissue. Any suggestions on what I should do? I plan on seeing him Monday, but am wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? By the way, I happen to be a complete dental phobe!
Thanks for any help.

These things are called boney spicules and they're a real nuisance. Normally they work their own way out without too much drama, but if you're seeing the dentist tomorrow they can sort it for you.

Back