• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Help! All uppers extraction!

T

TeethScheisse

Hello everyone...
On Friday I'm getting all of my uppers extracted. My back story is this: I'm now in my early 30's. Grew up poor, constantly in pain from dental work not being done. I did not grow up eating candy - it was too painful. By the age of 13, I began getting root canals. They were poorly done and many dentists just slapped some cheap junk in my cavities (to fall out within days or weeks). By 21, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy and my good teeth were trashed by 25 from uncontrolled seizures. For the last 3 years, my teeth have broken all the way to my gum line and eating is a nightmare. I'm far from rich and tried every organization, every possibility for help. The problem was they could fix 1 or 2, not my whole mouth. I've spent the last year in agony.
Last month I was in the hospital, unrelated, and a nutritionist spoke with me. She spoke with a dentist at her church who agreed to see me, free of charge. I saw him and wow! This is not some sketchy clinic but a very nice place in a town over. The dentist took x rays and told me what I already knew: no saving anything - they need to be removed. I was molded for dentures. Uppers first then after healing, my lowers. These amazing people are doing it for free! (This dentist ministers by way of dental care...I asked why!)
I'm horrified. We spoke today and I won't be put to sleep but he called in a prescription for Xanax, which I've taken. Can't say it's a knock out pill for me but certainly helps anxiety. The plan is I've begun a Z pack already and will have my uppers removed in approximately 4 hours Friday morning. Is this normal? I'm really afraid of this procedure. This dentist is not some hack, he's been doing this almost as long as I've been alive!
I'm not in a position to even think of passing this up. I've cried, begged and pleaded for help with this. I've been scared of going septic for years now. My teeth are so bad people think I did drugs, truly very awful. (I have not and do not do drugs or drink alcohol but when you're poor, not many believe that unfortunately!) My monthly income is at the poverty tier, that's why this dentist is helping. I've read some things online but it's really only made me more scared.
I'm going into this somewhat blind. Any support, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading!

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there,

sorry to read about your situation. Having all teeth pulled sounds pretty scary, but I am very sure that once this is over and you have dentures, you will be very happy that you did it. It's lovely that you had found a dentist who helps you with this and even free of charge, but I understand how scary it is. Not sure about the 4 hours, but a big part when it comes to extraction is the numbing with waiting till it takes effect, so it won't be the extraction itself that takes 4 hours.

I don't think there is anything that can be done to let your anxiety just disappear and it's ok to be scared and to cry, but remember that those feelings have no predictive power over the procedure itself. The most procedures are worse in our imagination than in reality. If you can, talk to your dentist and ask anything you need to know. If you feel like needing information, why not looking for some success stories here on the forum? If there are any concrete questions that are bothering you, feel free to post them too.

All the best wishes

T

TeethScheisse

Thank you for the kind words. I had my extractions this morning - 14 in all! And I'm so happy I did it! The extractions only took about an hour. Then the sutures and talking. I'm doing fine but honestly I can't wear my dentures just yet. See the dentist again on Monday. :)

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Teethshiesse,

HOw did your appt go and how are you doing with the dentures?

Sevena

Sevena

Super Moderator
My biggest piece of advice is to give yourself time to adjust to the dentures. You might feel a bit wrong and strange every time you try to use them, but that's normal at the start! It's a psychological adjustment, and I guarantee it goes away, and quicker than you'd think. Your tongue adjusts so fast, and your brain gets used to having them there so it starts to feel natural.

You'll be fine! :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Support 2
L Support 5
H Support 1
K Support 1
A Support 2