• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP!Alveolar Nerve Injury

G

gantip1983

So so scared again, I think this is a never ending story.....

After root canal on the 2 molar bottom left on Monday, suddenly two days later i started feeling every time I open my mouth (I realized this when I opened my mouth to see my tooth - not so much when I talk but when I open it completely) an electric wave to go though the front two teeth and on a part of my lip and chin. It more fells like needles and pins on the lip and chin and electric wave on the top part of the teeth not near the gums or root. After doing it form many times for testing, teeth start to feel a dull pain after so many electris waves i gues.. It's almost the same feeling in the teeth I felt when the doctor made the injection, even though it made her back I felt it in my front teeth ...

The doctor said it is due to the injection by ruling out all other possibilities and put me on prednisone for 5 days ( i have a big trip abroad next week for 20 days and he said we should move more intense) and I'm already on the second day without a huge difference.

I wanted to ask if it is possible from nerve injury have this feeling in the teeth , the lip I understand it ... And especially two days after ???? Could if be a problen with the teeth? But when the mouth is closed i have almost no problem, only when i widely open it...could it be trigeminal neuralgia? Can it get worst in the coming days??? Did I have to go to a neurologist?

Last edited:
I’m not sure and I am not a dental or health professional. But I’m following because I experienced a similar issue with a second molar root canal. Your description of the pain and sensation was what I experienced, too. I was never put on medication for it. The endodontist seemed confused by my description of the sensations. I hope you find relief with the prednisone and get answers! Keep us posted!

Not a dentist either, but I had nerve damage after an apicoectomy on my front upper tooth. It was completely numb...no feeling at all in my gums and part of my lip. The endodontist told me that the feeling may come back, and that it would feel like pins and needles when it did, so maybe yours isn't damaged, just inflamed? I hope one of the dentists can reassure you. With mine, feeling did eventually come back in most of it, and it had little prickles that felt electrical, kind of like static electricity, before it was normal again. I never did regain feeling in the gums right over my lateral incisor.

I had an injection once (for lower 2nd molar extraction) where the injection caused pain all the way up to my eyeball, and was intense! I had tingling in my upper lip for weeks, but it did fade.

It does sound like minor nerve damage, if you've still got sensation in the area then it's not too bad, so hopefully it'll settle down with the prednisone. It also could be your TMJoint flaring up a bit with having your mouth wide open for the treatment, again it should clear up in time.
It doesn't sound like neuralgia and I don't think you need to see a neurologist.

Back