• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help and advice

J

Jax1

i would desperately appreciate any views on my teeth, I could not take very good pictures and the upper molars are in a worse state but I couldn’t get a photo. If I could be brave enough to go to a dentist do my teeth look like they are beyond repair in places or is there hope?? I feel knowledge is power and the unknowns of what I would need done is awful

Attachments

• 7D56EAE8-CE2E-4089-BA58-A0A6C2899C2E.jpeg
    7D56EAE8-CE2E-4089-BA58-A0A6C2899C2E.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 74781E96-2F39-4070-BAD7-34B0B5EB36B2.jpeg
    74781E96-2F39-4070-BAD7-34B0B5EB36B2.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 88
  • B853E953-9D21-451A-9B86-72C156C412B6.jpeg
    B853E953-9D21-451A-9B86-72C156C412B6.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 83
There's a couple look beyond saving on the lower right at the back, the rest of them look perfectly fixable and most of them look fine.

There's a couple look beyond saving on the lower right at the back, the rest of them look perfectly fixable and most of them look fine.
thats Kind of good I guess, thanks! In the last photo the top tooth that looks very discoloured and black near gum is one I had a root canal on many years ago, do you think that looks ok or a bit past saving, it seems to be getting smaller and smaller!

Sorry lots of questions but to get those back ones out I’m guessing it’s quite difficult as they are so big and so far back?

Sorry lots of questions but to get those back ones out I’m guessing it’s quite difficult as they are so big and so far back?

No reason any they should be particularly difficult but it’s hard to tell from the photos. However they are you’d be nice and numb :)

No reason any they should be particularly difficult but it’s hard to tell from the photos. However they are you’d be nice and numb :)
Ok, just need to try and get brave and make an appointment, I have it in my mind I need to do it but struggling with actually doing it!

Thinking about it is a good start :)

In the last photo the top tooth that looks very discoloured and black near gum is one I had a root canal on many years ago, do you think that looks ok or a bit past saving, it seems to be getting smaller and smaller!

Can't tell from that photo, sorry.

I never made an appointment in the end then all the covid stuff has happened, so just sat at home worried. Do dentists extract wisdom teeth or is that done in hospital and if in hospital would they then take others out that need to come out, if in hospital is it a general anaesthetic. Sorry for questions I just find I can cope a bit better in situations if I know what to expect.

I depends on both how difficult the extraction is and how experienced the dentist is at surgical procedures.

Wisdom teeth can often be one of the easier teeth to take out but can be tricky if not all the way through, it’s hard to tell from the pic but yours look like they’d be towards the more straightforward end but your dentist would need an X-ray to be sure.

If done in hospital they’d still usually try and avoid a general anaesthetic where possible.

"Sorry for questions I just find I can cope a bit better in situations if I know what to expect."

Hi Jax1, Not a dentist but I just totally get this sentence and think it is so normal.. we all can be put a little more at ease just knowing what to expect and people explaining it in a kind clear way can do a lot to put one at ease. I know for any procedure I've never done or don't know my anxiety goes way high.. but once explained or walked through it just gets lower.. I hope someone can put your mind to ease just knowing what will go on and walk you through everything in a kind way. I also hope its a straightforward procedure. I know I did not need to be put out for any of them and only one was done by oral surgeon and that was awake with local and very quick. Let them know what makes you more at ease as you are the patient :).

"Sorry for questions I just find I can cope a bit better in situations if I know what to expect."

Hi Jax1, Not a dentist but I just totally get this sentence and think it is so normal.. we all can be put a little more at ease just knowing what to expect and people explaining it in a kind clear way can do a lot to put one at ease. I know for any procedure I've never done or don't know my anxiety goes way high.. but once explained or walked through it just gets lower.. I hope someone can put your mind to ease just knowing what will go on and walk you through everything in a kind way. I also hope its a straightforward procedure. I know I did not need to be put out for any of them and only one was done by oral surgeon and that was awake with local and very quick. Let them know what makes you more at ease as you are the patient :).
Thank you. I really hoping to go to a dentist when all this virus is over, I really want to get my teeth sorted, it’s scaring me at the minute that I can’t get them done, even though I clearly haven’t for years but because I can’t I feel a urge to if that makes any sort of sense! If I get them sorted then I wouldn’t have to worry all the time about them. Do they stitch your gums up, the thought of having big holes in gums is a bit of a worry!

It's one of those "It Depends" answers really, sometimes we put stitches in, sometimes not, sorry. If it's that big of a worry for you, you can just ask them to pop a stitch in anyway though :)

I would definately op for some type of medication filled dressing they could sew in there for the socket to heal if at all possible. would just be way less nervous for dry socket

Ok that sounds good, the thought big holes in my gums is horrendous. I wonder how long it will be before dental surgeries are open again