• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help - can't figure out which tooth hurts

L

Lou 70

Hi,
To say I am terrified of the dentist is an understatement. The reason being I am not always responsive to anaesthetic and have felt pain on many occasions. A lot of dentists I have seen don't believe me and tell me it's all in my head however when I shoot of the chair they get a little impatient with me, others do and are sympathetic.
I am experiencing pain on the top left side of my mouth. I have a root canal with crown, then a large filling and a filling in my wisdom tooth. It does not hurt when I eat or drink. I am unable to locate the pain. I have had all the usual checks and x-rays and nothing comes up. My dentist does not want to do anything drastic until she can locate the affected tooth. The pain comes and goes, at times it's just a mild ache and others a little sharper. If it is the wisdom tooth I will have to have this removed. This has filled me with absolute fear, what if the anaesthetic doesn't work? I do have a lot of fillings, however this is down to genetics, I clean twice a day see a dentist every 6 months and have regular teeth cleaning. My teeth are cramped unfortunately. It is a family thing, my auntie who is a hygienist also has a couple of crowns and fillings she has said it is due to a high acidity.
Is there any other way of testing which tooth is the is the issue?

Electric pulp test, endo ice, x-rays, bite checks, tooth sleuth for a cracked cusp. Have you had all those?

Difficult to guess what's going on without seeing you, especially since somebody who has seen you can't figure it out :)

Thank you for replying, I’ve had the bite test 3 X-rays tapping and water. Had my teeth cleaned and felt nothing unusual.

Back