• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! Dental HYPOCHONDRIAC!

K

kt21378

Hiya, I'm new. I hope someone has some advice for me.

I've never been scared of dentists because of pain or anything like that. I once had four cavities filled at the same time (I couldn't feel the lower part of my face for a day). But I've got several anxiety disorders and there's one thing about the dentist that petrifies me beyond belief: whether or not the dental instruments are CLEAN!

I'm under my parents coverage but it's ending in nine months and I want some work done (yes, I actually want it done). I want my wisdom teeth out (the top ones came in fine but they're a pain in the ass to care for. I have to stuff my fist in my mouth just to floss them) incase they might give me trouble in the future. A piece of one of my bottom front teeth cracked off and even though it's hardly noticeable I want it bonded. I want my fillings checked to see if any need to be replaced. And of course I want them cleaned and polished so they gleam pearly white like they used to. My teeth are nice and straight and I have a nice smile. But I know this won't last if I don't get the work done.

I'm scared that the instruments won't be properly sterilized. I know this is incredibly silly but I can't help it. The thought of having something dirty shoved in my mouth terrifies me beyond belief. I don't want to catch anything.

I've got time to really think about this so I'm tackling it now before the dental coverage ends. I will be having thousands of dollars worth of work done for FREE. If I ignore my teeth, then need work done after the coverage has expired, I will be paying for it out of my own pocket. NOT GOOD! :(

What should I do? This fear is so ridiculous, especially when I think about what's at stake. Any advice?

Hi KT and welcome

Your fears are not unusual a lot of people can be concerned about the intruments used and how clean they are. I'm not sure if u are in the UK or the states but i know here in the uk ALL dental practices MUST have a "cross infection protocol" which all staff members have to read and sign to say that they understand how to properly clean the surgeries and sterilise instruments. All non disposable instruments are what we call autoclaved this is a proceedure where they are heated by steam under pressure to 134 degrees Celcius which will kill off all living organisims. The patients can request to see the cross infection document to see how the practice prevents cross contamination. Not sure if this is the same in the sates but i'm sure their must be guidelines they have to follow. which you could request from your dentist before you see them. Hope these ideas can help
;D

In the US, as well, there are specific protocols to follow regarding sterilization of instruments.  One way to tell if the non-disposible instruments have been properly sterilized in the autoclave is to look at the package.  Prior to putting them in to be sterilized, a piece of tape, that looks like masking tape is put on the outside.  When the package is properly sterilized, there will be black stipes on the tape.  Even the gauze that they gave me after my extractions had been sterilized.

Hope this helps (I used to work for doctors and operate the autoclave...I knew my training would come in handy some day ;))

Thanks for the replies! :)

It's not like I've never been to the dentist because of this...in fact, it's only been about a year and a half since I've gone. My teeth are very nice and I'd seriously like to keep them that way, but my hypochondria is making that difficult. And there's no way in hell I want to end up in the hospital with infections in my face because of wisdom teeth or some other reason that is solely due to my own neglect. But really, I can relate to everyone here even though I'm not afraid of most of the stuff they are. Just that any type of phobia is very debilitating and non-phobic people don't know how lucky they are. I mean, it's not like we want to be like this!

I wouldn't feel so pressured into going to the dentist if my parents' dental coverage wasn't ending in April 2008. I know I have to go or I'll be paying through the nose if something happens down the road. My reason for avoiding the dentist just seems so silly, though. My psychiatrist told me that any good, understanding dentist will allow me to crack open the needle & anesthetic cartridge so I know that it's sterile before it's used on me. I agree with him. If you're giving a dentist your business they should be respectful of your requests.

Back