Help! Extreme fear over RCT on Friday!

E

Emilyjade03

So I need a root canal Friday. Terrified is an understatement! I’m beyond mortified! It’s in my front tooth and don’t know how I’ll afford a crown! How much of a tooth will be left after a root canal? Will it just be a stump? Hate the dentist ahhhhh

Judythecat

Judythecat

My friend had a root canal on her front upper tooth last year - there was no change to the tooth’s appearance, and she actually didn’t get a crown until a few weeks ago. The tooth had started to go a bit grey, which I think is because the blood supply to it is removed with the root canal - the dentist said she didn’t need a crown right away. Her appointment was quite short, I think 40 minutes, and the dentist told her that front teeth are less complicated to treat than back teeth, so it’s usually a straightforward process.

It really was my friend, but if it helps I have had root canals on molars, which is time-consuming and boring, but pain-free. (Because back teeth have a more complicated inside, it tends to be a lot more expensive than front teeth too.)

Good luck!

M

MountainMama

I had a root canal on my front upper tooth in October. Visually, you will not even be able to tell you had a root canal. They go in the back of the tooth, and just drill a small hole, which is sealed with a filling at the end. I still haven't had mine crowned, and the tooth looks pretty normal, just a shade more yellow, because my tooth had died before the root canal (I had no idea!).

So you do not have to get a crown right away, but you do have to be aware that the tooth will be more fragile after the root canal.

E

Emilyjade03

Thank you both for your reply! It definitely helps! I have a fixed retainer at the back of my tooth so god knows what they’ll do. Just want it to be over now 😂

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Emily, how did you rct go on Friday? How do you feel now? I had read your other post about braces and wondering how are you now..

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
So I need a root canal Friday. Terrified is an understatement! I’m beyond mortified! It’s in my front tooth and don’t know how I’ll afford a crown! How much of a tooth will be left after a root canal? Will it just be a stump? Hate the dentist ahhhhh
A crown can easily come later, even a year or two after the RCT. Finishing the treatment with a permanent filling/core or even with a temporary crown should be enough till next year, then you can have the crown. Sounds doable?

E

Emilyjade03

Thanks everyone for comments! I was brave and went through with it. So proud of myself. I do have an amazing dentist who talked me through it and kept me calm. I felt no pain and it wasn’t as bad as I’d thought! Slowly but surely I think I’m overcoming my dental phobia! Thanks for all the support :)

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
So glad to hear this Emilyjade,

That you went and made it through and that your dentist was great it sounds as well! :).. Job well done!:perfect::thumbsup!::thumbsup!:

T

Thephilsblogbar

Good luck, my mum could have a root canal done on her tooth, but choosing to have it out, she goes Thursday.

I had a root canal done, and had it redone

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a great news, Emily, congrats and very well done! :jump::jump::jump:
So glad your dentist could put you at ease and walked you through it! You indeed have a reason to be proud of yourself.