• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! first root canal front tooth tomorrow, im sooo scared!!!

• Thread starter applesandoranges
  • Start date
A

applesandoranges

Im most worried because its on my biggest front upper tooth.. will the tooth have to be removed? has anyone else had this done? im actually soo nervous i feel sick and cant stop crying, im sacred of having a big gap in my front teeth, is it true the tooth turns black? help please!

If they are doing a rct on your front tooth they will most likely put a crown on it, so even if it did turn black you wouldn't know it would be covered. Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

If they are doing a rct on your front tooth they will most likely put a crown on it, so even if it did turn black you wouldn't know it would be covered. Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Thanks :) what is a crown tho? do they have to remove all the "real" tooth then and replace it with a fake tooth "crown"? or is it more like a veener? have you had one done? :confused:

It is more like a veener, I don't think we have spelt this correctly.

To do the root canal treatment (rct) they will make sure you are really numb they then clean the root out and fill the canal. They will file some of the tooth away but not all of it, the crown goes over your own tooth. This does not hurt at all. If you did feel anything if you tell them they will inject more stuff.

I have a crown on a bottom back tooth, I also have a bridge which is similar to a crown only it fills a gap and is attached to the teeth at either side of it. I have a rct'd tooth at the bottom front on a tooth and this tooth hasn't got a crown on it, it didn't need it and it was done years ago and that has darkened, it is not black but it is discoloured.

Don't be afraid you will be okay. Just make sure you feel really numb before they start. :grouphug:

Can't really add much to what carole has already said, except that as far as I know, a crown is not always required after root treatment for a front tooth (unlike for back teeth, which need to be protected because of the biting forces). It really depends on how much tooth structure is left. So it may only need a white filling. Maybe you could ring and ask your dentist what the plan is :)!

Good thinking letsconnect :goodpost::butterfly:

Thanks guys, feel bit better :) and yes veneer is spelt more like this lol:giggle:. Im awake already although my appt is in a couple of hours, il let you know how it goes!:o

Hi Apples,

I have an appointment in one hour and am dreading it too, crossing finegrs for both of us!

aw howd it go??

I just hate waiting in the waiting room :(

My RCT actually went well! literally didnt feel a thing, apart from the 3 needles at the start but if you stay still and relax they only last a couple of secs!

For anyone who wants to know... a RCT on the front tooth is much easier than the back! its also a more comfortable position to sit in! They drill a small whole at the back of the tooth, clean out the middle of the tooth (for me it was abit gross as the abscess drained into my mouth but was quickly sucked away!) then put the rubber filler in and seal up the whole at the back, its the quickest drilling ive ever had! The tooth looks no different from the front.

********plus the relief from pain is UNREAL****** I cant believe im sitting pain free after crying non stop for a week! please please please anyone out there with one please make an appointment to sort it out! abscesses that come and go will ALWAYS come back unless you take the bull by the horns! its worth the 20 mins of being uncomfortable!

My dentist is good at explaining.. he said it is unlikely to discolour as it would of most likely of already have done so! im so glad of this news! if it was to discolour i will notice in a month or so, it would be more likely to discolour from an accident or sudden "death" of the tooth from injury. Cant believe ive had 2 abscesses in a 2 weeks! i must be the unluckiest person ever :(

im so glad this web site exists!! read so many helpful tips before hand! ITs so nice to know theres lots more people out there with the same thoughts and feelings and that weir all NORMAL! A giant coffee morning would be fun lol...

All the best for everyone one!

Just two more dental treatments to go before my treatment is finished up for a while!

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::grin::grin::grin:

I am really pleased that it went so well for you, I have said it before and I will no doubt say it again. I would rather have a rct than a filling any day.

Good for you :jump::jump::jump: well done, I am so glad you are out of pain :cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::cheer::cheer::cheer::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::yayy::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Back