• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

help! frozen shoulder after local anaesthetic!!

N

Naz

:confused:
Hi, my name is Nas,
i had been taking Fleuxetine(can't quite spell it right)
and told dentist He was to carry out two fillings in my lower right teeth. i've had many treatments and anaesthetics before but none like that. When he gave me the anaesthetic, the very first reaction was that my body went limp and i got a burning sensation in my legs, arms, shoulders and neck, my hands let go of the arm
rests of the chair and i just felt powerless, the dentist still carried on, I felt my heart beating very fast and thumping
so loudly that I could feel it. Afterwards, I told this to the dentist who didnt say anything but soon when my lower legs and my feet and hands began shaking, he asked me if I was ok and if I want to take some oxygen. He eventually sent me out into the reception area to wait for the anaesthetic to work.
I felt very weak and drowsy and had a heavy dragging feeling in my right arm, unable to make any use of it. I went back in to the dentist's room and told him that I didn't want to go ahead with the filling and that I wanted to rest and explained my condition but he insisted on attempting to carry out the filling. As I had lost all my argument ability and was feeling really light headed, I sat down on the chair. He attempted to drill five times with different drill heads but in vain because it was very painful. I told him everytime
to stop as I still had all the feeling in that tooth and no numbness appeared to have worked so far in the area he was working on. he advised me to wait in the reception until I was able to walk and then I should walk home along with my two young children, leaving my car in front of the surgery and come back for it later.
I then waited for about 10 ? 15 minutes but was badly in need of rest. I did not know what was happening around me and I just wanted to fall down anywhere and rest.
Anyhow, I don?t remember what exactly happened and how I managed to get home WITH my two daughters, I have a very faint idea that I left the place and when I recovered after two hours, I found myself in my lounge at home. But I still haven't recovered properly, even after four months now
my shoulder, arm, neck and hand still hurt.
i was prescribed some anti inflammatory, didnt do much good, and had to make do with paracetamol but that always upsets my tumm. its the pain, it is so continuous, if God forbid i sleep on my arm by mistake at night, the next
day is hell. the pain in my leg comes and goes, but the inability to use my arm has changed my life, everything, i cant dress my self, let alone take care of my daughters, five and four years old. the younger one is profoundly
deaf, a disability since birth. my mum has to help me with everything.
i was referred to a neurologist who diagnosed a 'frozen shoulder', but what i dont understand is why the numb feeling in my right hand ring finger? and what about my lower right leg which some times gets so bad i
cant walk?
i am wondering if it could have been a reaction to the anti depressants as i had only just been on them for two months prior to this incident?
Anyone experienced anything like this?
i just want to get back on track and to take care of my two lovely daughters, as i am a single mum.
Nas

Re: help! frozen shoulder after local anaesthetic!

Hi Nas,

I think there might be two unrelated things going on here:

(1) The reaction you had to the anesthetic: sounds like the dentist accidentally injected into a vein rather than into muscle tissue. This would lead to the reaction you were describing (heart beating very fast and thumping, shaking, etc.). This is a reaction to adrenaline (a small amount of which is found in anesthetic to make it work better) going into the bloodstream. While not dangerous, such an experience can be extremely disconcerting, especially if you don't know what's going on. The dentist should also not have continued treatment under the circumstances you were describing, and I hope you've changed dentists since.

(2): The frozen shoulder/arm/neck/ring finger/leg/pain issues: it may just be coincidence that these appeared at the same time, or the stressful situation may have triggered it. If conventional medicine doesn't help it, it might be an idea to look into Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture. I'm not usually the esoteric type, but those treatment methods appear to yield good results for the types of problems you've described.

Of course, it might be possible that the Prozac triggered it (I don't know enough about possible side-effects to rule that out, but your symptoms are not described as possible side-effects of Prozac in patient factsheets).

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time :(. Wishing you the best of luck, and I really hope you'll manage to find some relief soon :grouphug:

[please note that I'm not a health professional]

Re: help! frozen shoulder after local anaesthetic!

:)
thanx so much for your reply, what youve mentioned about the adrenalin, certainly fits in and explains quite a few things which i had been confused about.
i'm hoping to investigate homoeopathy for my arm, in the mean time, good old mum! what would i do without her!
thanx again!
:hug2:

Back