• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help I’m upset

F

fmt1

I just got 10 teeth pulled Thursday and upper dentures placed in right after. I have been crying since yesterday. They feel awful in my mouth. It feel so weird like I have a big ball in my mouth. I went yesterday and got everything readjusted. My words a don’t come out right. How will I ever get used to this feeling in mouth. I hate what I’ve done. My mouth looks like a horse and I’m so swoll. I need encouragement right now

I think once the swelling goes down you will have a much better fit

Hi sorry to hear you are struggling. I think @wpgshyguy2 is right though it will get better. I think it takes time to adjust to things, especially when our mouthes and tongue are so sensitive to minor changes, but they get used to it so quickly. This temporary can make it different to talk the same but you will readjust and get back there. I know after having a crown I just wanted it out my mouth for the first week as it bothered me so much as it felt different and new. But then I just forgot it was there.

Hi sorry to hear you are struggling. I think @wpgshyguy2 is right though it will get better. I think it takes time to adjust to things, especially when our mouthes and tongue are so sensitive to minor changes, but they get used to it so quickly. This temporary can make it different to talk the same but you will readjust and get back there. I know after having a crown I just wanted it out my mouth for the first week as it bothered me so much as it felt different and new. But then I just forgot it was there.
Thank you. Everyone has told me it going to take time. They say once I get my soft liners in. It’s a lot of change to deal with well really a big change. I have a horse mouth right now

Thank you. Everyone has told me it going to take time. They say once I get my soft liners in. It’s a lot of change to deal with well really a big change. I have a horse mouth right now

Sorry can’t help with answering how long the swelling will last. But definitely it is a big change but I’m guessing long term the results will be worth it!

Oh yes. My face is very swollen. How long does the swelling last
Sadly I have no idea :( Every day Im sure you're going to see a better and better fit and before you know it I think you are going to love your smile.

Sadly I have no idea :( Every day Im sure you're going to see a better and better fit and before you know it I think you are going to love your smile.
I have sore spots along the top of my gums. Why is that. It’s very painful. Looks like small white bump. Only relief I get is when I take my dentures out to rinse my mouth out with salt water

Hi fmt1,

sorry to read about your situation, it sounds so hopeless and very painful! I see how you are wondering how long this will take. You got some good answer from Molar_bear already, so I just wanted to add that your gums have some work to do now in terms of healing and there will be many changes over the course of the next days and even weeks. I am not sure how long the swelling stays but would expect the most difficult part at least for few days, maybe a week. Your dentist should be able to help with adjusting the denture for you so that your gums are not that sore and that‘s the part of the process.
We have a post about dentures here, you may find there some information and advice on how to get through the initial stage.

All the best wishes, hang in there and keep us posted :grouphug:

I just got my teeth pulled yesterday so I too am suffering from the mouth full of giant acrylic denture. It reminds me of playing sports and having to wear those giant athletic mouth guards. But I got used to wearing those. Also I had a HUGE and I mean HUGE dental dental apparatus that I had to wear every night of my life for severe bruxism and significant tmj issues to try to save my teeth an jaw joints. It was so big because it basically forced my jaw into a particular position and immobilized it. It took me a good month to finally get over the pain in caused, but worse than the pain was trying to fall asleep with something so large in my mouth. I genuinely thought I'd never adapt. But I did. Eventually it felt so normal to me that I just plopped it in and forgot about it. U will get used to this I know u will. My swelling is out of hand right now which I'm sure is what's adding to the feeling of them being enormous. The gum area is so swollen that the bottom partial is popping off my teeth and wont sit right. In a week it'll be much better.

Back