• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help I am scared of having IV Sedation

M

Mrleeuk

Hi all.
I have done the stupid thing and started googling about IV sedation and got myself into a right state to be point I am unable to sleep.

After years of neglect due to phobias from dentists in my youth and the local dental hospital leaving my mouth in a bit of a state from the students trying different things on me I finally got the courage and got myself a new dentist.

I have had a few appointments with him and he is great with me and knows of my past fears.
After a few examinations we came to the conclusion that it would be best to have the remaining 14 teeth extracted and have dentures.

I was over the moon with this decision and extractions do not bother me as have had plenty in the past and do not have a fear of needles.

I have had my referral and a private clinic has taken on the challenge to do the extraction for the NHS on the 6th April but they will only do it under conscious IV sedation.

If there is anything I am scared of more than dental work, it is drugs. I have read many good success stories on here about IV sedation and the amnesia part of it does not bother me but I am more scared of what I am going to feel like when they start administering the drug such as am I going to feel like I am spinning, will I hallucinate are there any unpleasent feelings or sensations?

If anyone could provide how they experienced it then that would be a real help. I am guessing they will probably be using Midazolam.

Lee

I had IV sedation 6 weeks ago and this is what happened.

I was prepped by two nurses who put the IV line in my hand and then the oral surgeon came into the room and I asked my last few questions. When he then asked if I was ready to start, I said yes, and as soon as I did, I also said, "Bye, I'm going now", because i felt about 2 seconds (yes, just 2 seconds!) of a sense that I was about to fall asleep.

I then woke up (apparently half an hour later), and was walked to the recovery room. No recollection of anything in between.

Nothing bad at all, and I'm sure that you'll do really well too.

I've had IV sedation for 2 medical procedures and 3 dental procedures.

My experience was like the vast majority of patients. I go in, get the IV and am hooked up to pads to monitor heart rate, along with a BP cuff and I think a blood ox monitor on my finger. They always smile when they're ready and ask me if I'm ready. And I'm always ready at that point, because I'm never nervous to go to sleep, I'm nervous UNTIL they put me out ;))....and then I wake in Recovery room. I've always been told I walked from treatment to recovery room but I have zero memory of ever doing any of that..

Honestly, I don't ever remember feeling like they were slowly giving me the happy juice and I was slowly losing myself to sleep. It's like you're literally wide awake one minute, and then you wake up and it's done and you don't remember even going out.

Regarding being afraid of pain during sedation (in another thread but relevant here too), I've never felt any pain. You do wake numbed in the area that was treated, but no pain. I was told by the last sweet, incredibly amazing anesthesia nurse that she monitors my BP the whole time and if it goes up or if I give the slightest hint that I'm feeling any pain, they give me more local and more IV sedation happy juice.

I've never even gotten sick from IV sedation....And you're stupid happy for the next several hours (if not all day).

Not once did I have a bad IV sedation experience. I've had not so happy medical procedures with IV sedation but having the knowledge that I've had it plenty before I'm *never* worried....more than anything, I'm glad to get the procedures done.

I've never had the spins, no hallucinating. You're awake afterward but you feel like you've taken a sedative, and you're sort of walking on clouds (Your experience may differ). I went to the grocery store immediately from one med appt with IV sedation and I was so happy that I was done with the procedure that I was high on adrenaline and insisted we shop for foods (I was starving!!). Then I went home and made myself some lunch and watched some stupid horror movie. Of course, they tell you to take a pain pill after you eat and you'll likely nap then. But it's not uncontrolled sleep that you'll not be aware enough to get up to use the bathroom, hear an alarm or smoke detector, or do any other activity that you feel up to (Obviously don't drive, make big decisions or try to fly a plane that day = it would probably not be a great idea :giggle:). I felt 99% recovered from the anesthesia as early as late afternoon after a morning IV sedation procedure. Certainly within 24 hours.

I hope this reassured you. You're going to be fine and truly, you'll feel so much relief when you find yourself in recovery room.

Lynnie - did you have a BP cuff and those sticky heart monitor pads too? I forget if you told me already? :jump:

Hi, I'm also very phobic about being put to sleep so I can understand what you are going through. I've had conscious sedation for a few medical procedures and I can honestly say that the feeling between when they give me the drug and I fall asleep (seconds or minutes later) is probably one of the best most relaxed feelings I've ever had. They could do just about anything to me and I wouldn't care. I have no memory of any of the actual procedures. The part I don't like is the waking up, it's always hard for me to get it out of my system and it takes forever for me to be able to sit up.

I'm having conscious sedation in a couple of weeks for an implant and I'm very nervous about it, mostly about that horrible groggy waking up feeling. I'm afraid they will want me to get out of the chair and I won't be able to. I wish I could have the procedure awake. Once I get it out of my system I'm alert for the rest of the day, it's just that first half hour to hour that I dislike.

Everyone I know who's had this has a positive feeling and I'm the only one I know who doesn't like the waking up feeling. Everyone else says waking up is a great relaxed feeling, like they just had a good night's sleep and they feel very refreshed. No problems. I don't know anyone who's had a bad experience with this.

I did not have heart monitoring or pads, but had two anaesthesia nurses. I did have a blood pressure cuff and pulse ox contraption on my finger though.

And to the OP, I have to add that I was awake immediately following the extractions, and have a very clear memory of getting out of the chair, retrieving my purse and coat from the hook behind the door of the surgical suite and then walking down the hall to the recovery room. I had no grogginess or sedated feeling at all (and no high, or peaceful feeling), and if allowed, could easily, and safely, have driven home myself. I have also had IV sedation for 4 colonoscopies, and had no residual effects from those either. I metabolize drugs very quickly though, and even after general anaesthetic am awake almost instantly and always shock the porter who is wheeling me to recovery, because, "You shouldn't be awake yet. Everyone else sleeps for at least half an hour!".

I am an extreme case though, and you may have an experience on the other end of the spectrum. But if I don't remember anything, and am more than satisfied with the experience, you'll probably have an easy time of it too.

Good luck!

Thank you for your replies.

When you say sleep do you mean have the impression of sleeping as the dental leaflet I received with my appointment only says that I will feel relaxed and sleepy but will still be able to communicate with the dental surgeon should they need to.

I must admit the more I am reading people's comments, the more I am feeling a little more at ease.

I made one of the other relevant threads because I'm paranoid. As said on that, I had some kind of sedation (don't know if it was conscious or general) to get my wisdoms out about 15 years ago. I had another sedation experience when getting a stomach biopsy. They were both a little different - the wisdom tooth removal had me (never having been put to sleep before) wondering "when it was going to kick - in? I'm done?" Immediate "looking down at I.V. in my arm to having my eyes closed and feeling gauze in my mouth." The stomach thing was a situation where I was desperately trying to control my gag-reflex because they had to put a thing in my mouth to keep it open to get the tube in and feeling darkness over me.... then someone was waking me up from one of the most interesting and geeky dreams I've ever had. (I had a dream that I was in a world that combined a favorite video game with a favorite T.V. show).

I'm hoping that if I get to have I.V. sedation that it will go like that again and NOT go in the direction I'm irrationally paranoid about despite seeing nothing but success stories.

As far as hallucinating goes... I can't say I've ever had that on sedatives, but if somehow, it happens, it might not actually be so bad. I've hallucinated before - fairly recently, due to a catastrophic fever and it was actually pretty interesting. I had a bad kidney infection last spring (I thought it was just a stomach bug until I went to the E.R. for it). I was running a fever in the 103 F range, I think. According to my husband, I wasn't given any painkillers - just antibiotic and fluids. I saw some interesting things - ants and little bugs on the walls, for instance, yet, somehow, I knew that I was hallucinating because I realized that "hospitals are clean places that shouldn't have bugs on the walls." I also saw a picture on the wall animate itself - it was leaves over a pond and my brain filled in water dripping off the leaves and somehow I realized it wasn't real. It actually wasn't scary because I realized my brain was doing weird things, so I decided to be entertained by it, if that makes any sense. So... if you do hallucinate, I guess I'm saying "try to have fun with it."

When you say sleep do you mean have the impression of sleeping as the dental leaflet I received with my appointment only says that I will feel relaxed and sleepy but will still be able to communicate with the dental surgeon should they need to.

I must admit the more I am reading people's comments, the more I am feeling a little more at ease.

As far as I know I've never been able to communicate with anyone while under conscious sedation. If I have done so I have no recollecton of it at all. I've seen that statement and I've never understood as I am totally out. When I am finally coming to the nurses are always trying to get me to sit up, drink some juice, etc. and all I can do is lie there immobile, I can't even lift an arm. I can't imagine obeying doctor's commands when I'm totally out. But that's just me, I seem to be much more sensitive to this stuff than the average person.

Let me tell you once again, that time between when they give me the stuff and I actually fall asleep is the most relaxed comfortable easy feeling I've ever had. It also makes me extremely talkative "wow, this stuff is great, I love it, can I take some home with me, I think operating rooms are fascinating, let me look around, I wanted to be a nurse but can't stand the sight of blood, do you all like blood . . . . ." They just laugh at me, Embarrassing:redface::redface:

Yes, it is only the impression of being asleep, because since we're also given a "forgetfulness" drug, all we remember is the before and after, nothing in between, so it feels as if we were asleep for the period in the middle. From what I understand, the drugs can be lowered or increased as the procedure is ongoing, so that if they need to ask you a question, or follow a command, they can bring you back a bit to do so, and then have you more relaxed again very quickly.

Yes, it is only the impression of being asleep, because since we're also given a "forgetfulness" drug, all we remember is the before and after, nothing in between, so it feels as if we were asleep for the period in the middle. From what I understand, the drugs can be lowered or increased as the procedure is ongoing, so that if they need to ask you a question, or follow a command, they can bring you back a bit to do so, and then have you more relaxed again very quickly.

I have extreme anxiety about the dentist (have cried at every office visit as an adult). I had IV Sedation for a multiple tooth removal yesterday. I was relaxed most of the time. The nurse did tell me to expect to feel the stimulus from the Novocain injections but no pain, which was about right. I communicated with the dentist and was in and out of sleep. It is possible they gave me a "forgetfulness" drug but I recall most of what I was awake for. My recollection might also be related to being a redhead, I have always required more sedation and/or anesthesia for other procedures.

Even with remembering a lot of the procedure, I am not upset by it as it wasn't painful or scary with all of the meds they gave me to relax and sedate me. I am anxious about going back for the minor things that are needed and will likely do the IV for those as well since the big visit went so well

I had IV sedation a few weeks back, in my case in was great to be in lala land for over 2 hours. I was able to respond a few times and remembered a few moments of implants being placed and the gum sewn up but didn't really care.
I didn't feel dizzy or sick, and came out of it fairly quickly, so don't worry you should be fine.

A bit of an update.

I had had my initial consultation with the surgeon today so fired off my questions to him.
He explained to me that he has been using sedation for over 20 years and will give me midazolam gradually until I reach a comfortable level. He joked and said I am basically going to give you 20 gin and tonics in one go to which my reply was (how many vodka and cokes is that then). When he mentioned that, my Other question was if I would feel dizzy as I have been drunk a few times lol. He assured me that the way he will administer it will not make me feel dizzy just a happy drunk tired feeling and done gradually and not rapid.

I am am feeling a little better now but would still like to hear other people's descriptions of he initial onset of midazolam.

Hi, I had similar fears to you. I had iV sedation with midazolam today and went from chatting to quiet to asleep. I had no in between dizzy/ drunk stage which is what I was worried about. I woke up about ten minutes from the end and had no anxiety about the work they were still carrying out.

IV sedation is heaven :) I usually start to get little pin points of light in my vision then after that they are telling me it's done and time to go home. There is no spinning or hallucinating or even feeling high.

As for your dentures maybe ask about all on 4 as I have heard from family members that getting used to dentures can be tricky and not as easy as they thought. With all on 4 the denture is held in with implants and they can cut back the palate part so you will still be able to taste normally. Without feeling the roof of your mouth you'd be surprised how much it contributes to enjoyment of food. Anyway it's something you can ask about later on. But sometimes they can put the implants at the same appointment as the extractions and it will cost less because they are already 'in there' so to speak.

Ok so I had it done 2 hours ago and now I feel silly for worrying about it. He explained to me it is just like taking Valium. You just feel relaxed and not bothered.

I had my first does and after about 10 seconds had a really pleasant light headed sensation similar to that of a couple of pints which only lasted a couple of seconds. After that I started to feel sleepy. He topped my up again and after that I only remember bits and bats but it did not bother me.

When incame round I felt fine, no dizziness or nausea. I was chatting with the dentist and he was laughing saying he has to give me a bit more midazolam as I was very talkative but i dont remember this ;D.

Just over an hour seemed like 10 mins.

for someone who is scared as me of taking any type of drug, this was amazing and can recommend it to all people for phobias or large work.

Ok so I had it done 2 hours ago and now I feel silly for worrying about it. He explained to me it is just like taking Valium. You just feel relaxed and not bothered.

I had my first does and after about 10 seconds had a really pleasant light headed sensation similar to that of a couple of pints which only lasted a couple of seconds. After that I started to feel sleepy. He topped my up again and after that I only remember bits and bats but it did not bother me.

When incame round I felt fine, no dizziness or nausea. I was chatting with the dentist and he was laughing saying he has to give me a bit more midazolam as I was very talkative but i dont remember this ;D.

Just over an hour seemed like 10 mins.

for someone who is scared as me of taking any type of drug, this was amazing and can recommend it to all people for phobias or large work.

Do you have a medication phobia?! I do too! I am scared of taking medication. Could you assure me that IV sedation is well worth it? Did you have any anxiety upon waking up?

Do you have a medication phobia?! I do too! I am scared of taking medication. Could you assure me that IV sedation is well worth it? Did you have any anxiety upon waking up?

Hi.

Yes i I have a medication phobia. Before the surgeon gave me the sedative I hyper ventilated and felt sick because I was that scared. The surgeon said to me "Lee, can I just give you a little bit to make you feel better, it will be just like you have had a couple of pints". I agreed and when he did it he said to me "do you feel anything?" And I said "no it's not working". I then felt a pleasant light headed sensation. Not like you have stood up too fast or anything but more like I wanted to put my head down and have a nap. That is all I remember. My wife was still in the room with me and I was apparently taking like I was drunk telling the surgeon I did not feel any different lol and the surgeon was just joking with me saying my speech says different.

Next thing I remember was the assistant who was monitoring my vitals taking off my blood pressure band and removing the IV. It was like I had a power nap and I felt amazing when I woke up. Little bit Unsteady on my feet but had no dizziness, or nausea. To be honest I have taken anti depressants for over 15 years and they do t make me feel as good as the sedative did for the rest of the day. It just felt like it was the best day ever.

I can assure you, I had 2 weeks of sleepless nights with all the worrying. I would do it again if needed and I have a fear of drugs but it felt like it was over and done with in minutes. You have nothing to worry about.

You will Not feel drugged up or spaced out when they give you it, You still feel normal just a little sleepy like you have had a few relaxing drinks with friends then next thing you know you will be walking to the recovery room. It is amazing.

I hope this helps and if you want any other questions answering then ask me, I will tell you the 100% truth as I know how you feel at this moment.

For me the fear of IV sedation is more than the fear of having the treatment.

I had a nice discussion with my oral surgeon today who told me if I don't want it I don't have to have it. He gave me two other options: 1) get it done with nothing 2) have gas and air.

I opted for gas and air but he said on the day I can refuse it if I feel ok. I don't like the idea of drugs in my body. I just about manage to take paracetamol.

Do what you feel most comfortable with. Just remember, the bark is worse than the bite. The way I think about it is on Wednesday I will have an hour of nasty anxiety. I will likely have numerous panic attacks. But once the treatment is done and the tooth are out I get to go home and chill and it's all over.

An hour of anxiety for a life of pain free? Yes please!

I'm not going to die. I am going to be fine. The fear is in my head only.

Ps. Get off Google! I Googled the complications of an infection and that prompted me to get my teeth sorted because I don't want to be admitted into hospital for a nasty infection that could be fatal. And when you leave the hospital you still need to go and have the treatment done. That is all one needs to get to a dentist :p

You'll be fine. I promise.

The good thing about the sedation is it completely removes the anxiety. I am same about takinpain killer in case I feel "spaced out" which is also why I refused gas and air.

I can honestly say, sedation does not make you feel like you are on drugs, it just makes you feel comfortable in the chair and what is also best is that one minute you are chatting with the dentist, then the next thing you are done. It is like you closed your eyes for a brief second and then it is all over and done with.

Yeah i did the google thing. Stay away from it as they only seem to put the worst posts on it is nothing like those stories.

Mall you got to remember is 5 seconds after they give you the sedative, that is it, next thing you know it is all over and done with. It is awesome.

Hi.

Yes i I have a medication phobia. Before the surgeon gave me the sedative I hyper ventilated and felt sick because I was that scared. The surgeon said to me "Lee, can I just give you a little bit to make you feel better, it will be just like you have had a couple of pints". I agreed and when he did it he said to me "do you feel anything?" And I said "no it's not working". I then felt a pleasant light headed sensation. Not like you have stood up too fast or anything but more like I wanted to put my head down and have a nap. That is all I remember. My wife was still in the room with me and I was apparently taking like I was drunk telling the surgeon I did not feel any different lol and the surgeon was just joking with me saying my speech says different.

Next thing I remember was the assistant who was monitoring my vitals taking off my blood pressure band and removing the IV. It was like I had a power nap and I felt amazing when I woke up. Little bit Unsteady on my feet but had no dizziness, or nausea. To be honest I have taken anti depressants for over 15 years and they do t make me feel as good as the sedative did for the rest of the day. It just felt like it was the best day ever.

I can assure you, I had 2 weeks of sleepless nights with all the worrying. I would do it again if needed and I have a fear of drugs but it felt like it was over and done with in minutes. You have nothing to worry about.

You will Not feel drugged up or spaced out when they give you it, You still feel normal just a little sleepy like you have had a few relaxing drinks with friends then next thing you know you will be walking to the recovery room. It is amazing.

I hope this helps and if you want any other questions answering then ask me, I will tell you the 100% truth as I know how you feel at this moment.
What if I do not like drinking?! lol! I do not like feeling like I have no control. As long as I can't flip out while under sedation, that's all I care about.

Back