• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP!!! I am soo confused!

J

jadenrain

My bridge broke! The bridge was located on the upper right side. I have two large teeth in front, then a smaller tooth to right on main front tooth then a three tooth gap followed by my molar. I went to the dentist and he said he recommends a full denture because the condition of my other teeth, although they look ok they all have some kind of issue going on. ( i have fought gum disease my entire life and paid A LOT of money to keep my teeth in my mouth) I ask about a partial just to fill in those three teeth but he says the clasp will have to wrap around my front teeth and be very noticeable. He didnt really seem to want to even discuss a partial. Is there no way to get a partial on the top that it doesnt hook onto the front teeth? I am making an appoint to have this fixed tomorrow and I dont know whether I should just demand the partial or have them all taken out and dentures put in. I am scared to death! I work with the public I talk ALL day long....I am scared people will notice a full denture because it will look so different from what I looked like two days ago....I am also scared of a full piece of plastic on the top of my mouth and I can not afford the permanent denture at this time. (I am saving up and will be able to get one in a year) I have considered a full denture before but I dont like the idea of taking my teeth out. My other teeth arent perfect but atleast look pretty good. I dont know what to do. I want a partial but not if it has to clip around my front teeth. :>( im so stressed about this it is literally making me sick. Thanks for any info...its much much appreciated

Hi, I'm not a dentist, just wanted to say I sympathise - at some point I fear similar options will be put in front of me. Do you have a good relationship with your dentist? Do you trust his opinion? It might be worth you seeking a second opinion and getting as much information on your options and the pros and cons before you make a choice. Sorry I cant comment in detail, I have no experience, except for decisions on what are the best options.

As a dentist I can only advise to a certain extend as without the whole picture it is difficult.

My suggestions really depends on your case,seeing x-Rays etc but here is some advise.

How bad are the other teeth? If you are likely to loose any others in the next few months then it is worth it to have them out before you make a final denture.Otherwise you might have to add them on in the near future which often means being without your partial for a day or so.

You might have a look at the option of a valplast denture that is less visible.

You mentioned you lost a bridge...how was it attached to the adjacent teeth?As the adjacent teeth are often crowned and if you decide to keep these teeth what are being done to them?

if you do end up having all your teeth out and having an immediate denture,bear in mind that this can be quite traumatic as this kind of denture often needs adjustments and can create a lot of soreness on the gums.Often the teeth are taken out and the denture fitted immediately.Which means you are numb and can't feel where the denture hurts until the next day!

And this denture will needs to be replaced within 2-4 months once the gums have healed as it might not fit nicely at that stage.

Might be good to see a dentist willing to listen to your concerns so you really understand and can make an informed choice.

All the best.

My bridge broke! The bridge was located on the upper right side. I have two large teeth in front, then a smaller tooth to right on main front tooth then a three tooth gap followed by my molar. I went to the dentist and he said he recommends a full denture because the condition of my other teeth, although they look ok they all have some kind of issue going on. ( i have fought gum disease my entire life and paid A LOT of money to keep my teeth in my mouth) I ask about a partial just to fill in those three teeth but he says the clasp will have to wrap around my front teeth and be very noticeable. He didnt really seem to want to even discuss a partial. Is there no way to get a partial on the top that it doesnt hook onto the front teeth? I am making an appoint to have this fixed tomorrow and I dont know whether I should just demand the partial or have them all taken out and dentures put in. I am scared to death! I work with the public I talk ALL day long....I am scared people will notice a full denture because it will look so different from what I looked like two days ago....I am also scared of a full piece of plastic on the top of my mouth and I can not afford the permanent denture at this time. (I am saving up and will be able to get one in a year) I have considered a full denture before but I dont like the idea of taking my teeth out. My other teeth arent perfect but atleast look pretty good. I dont know what to do. I want a partial but not if it has to clip around my front teeth. :>( im so stressed about this it is literally making me sick. Thanks for any info...its much much appreciated

Back