• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help I haven't been to the dentist since 1999

H

hatesdrills

Well as the title says really, I haven't been since 1999 as I had to have a filling then and I really hated the injection and drilling and now have a big phobia of going.I brush my teeth twice a day and none seem to cause any pain although some are sensitive to hot and cold but my main problem is now my wisdom teeth, I have one thats pretty much pushed all the way through the gum ok, 2 which have pushed through only a corner of the tooth and have not made any progress in quite some time, easily from 21/22 until now, I'm now 26, and one which hasn't pushed through the gum at all and doesn't feel in line with my other teeth and feels quite sore.I really do feel too embarassed to go to the dentist as I expect my teeth will need some work and I worry the dentist will tell me off, I'm also scared of having to have my wisdom teeth removed, I really could do with some help and advice on the subject.

Welcome and you took a very positive step by finding and posting this wonderful forum. :) That in itself took courage. ITA with everything Bethesedascout said. You are completely in control of the dentist you chose to treat you. Ask around for recommendations and then make that first consult appointment. A lot of times, that is even free. The denist (one worth your trust) is someone who will be on your side and your partner in taking back a healthier smile.

Last week I completed two months worth of appointments for a root canal, major cleaning, and crown. All of which could have easily been avioded had I not allowed my fear of needles (I didn't know of the numbing gel) to win and my lack of courage to ask if there wasn't a way to make the anasthetic shot not hurt, thus being told of the gel.

My experience was more positive than I ever imagined. I gained back power over dental fear and truly have come to think so very highly of my dentist. That said, I sure wish I had saved myself the anxiety and money and had the initially tiny cavity taken care of 3 years ago.

You can do it, too! Beating fear into oblivion is one amazing feeling. As I said you have begun. :)

Mona

Back