• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP! i lost my permanent crown can't find.

M

marquita188

i lost it last night, i sneezed and it came flying out, i looked everywhere and i can't find it. the dentist i went to put it back in twice! what should i do? i live on fixed income, and i don't have a 1,000 dollar to get another one.

You would appear to have 2 choices, either keep looking for your crown or else try to get a replacement.
Dental schools can often provide cut price treatment if you can't afford a new one right now.

You would appear to have 2 choices, either keep looking for your crown or else try to get a replacement.
Dental schools can often provide cut price treatment if you can't afford a new one right now.

OK thanks, do i have to get a temp one again? and have to wait 2 week for the permanent one?

I'd be asking the dentist why it is falling out so often in the first place....was it a temp crown you lost? That's the only reason I can think of for one falling out, but even then the dentist should have done a better job of cementing so it does not sound like your fault at all and he should replace it for free.

I agree with Annie, I had one like that, the crown fell off multiple times and my gum was constantly irriratated. The dentist who did it tried to tell me I wasn't brushing to the gumline- After I switched dentists I was told it fit improperly and should be redone.

I'd be asking the dentist why it is falling out so often in the first place....was it a temp crown you lost? That's the only reason I can think of for one falling out, but even then the dentist should have done a better job of cementing so it does not sound like your fault at all and he should replace it for free.

nope a permanent one, i haven't been there in about 3 year, so i doubt they would do it free, and they were very slow there and the staff was very rude too.

I agree with Annie, I had one like that, the crown fell off multiple times and my gum was constantly irriratated. The dentist who did it tried to tell me I wasn't brushing to the gumline- After I switched dentists I was told it fit improperly and should be redone.

yeah that's what I'm going to do on Monday. I'm never going back there again!

Perhaps you should ask your new dentist to write a letter about his shoddy work and send it to him with a bill for the new crown.

yeah that's what I'm going to do on Monday. I'm never going back there again!

I asked my new dentist what I should do, I didn't want to pay for another crown either, I asked if I should sue and he thought I should give the original dentist a chance to re-do the crown. I made the trip back to another state and this guy, in hind sight decided to punish me. He starting using a LA technique that looks like a ball point pen and started doing multiple painful sticks all around the tooth. He stopped when I asked "what do you think you're doing, I'll just sue and you can pay for the crown that way" He finished the work painlessly.

This is the same guy that did an elective extraction that would "fix my cross-bite" It caused my jaw to look collapsed and I now have to have it replaced with an implant.

In the end he got investigated for insurance fraud.

I understand he is a rare bad apple, but it happened to me, so he's a huge part of why its hard for me to trust any dentist.

Perhaps you should ask your new dentist to write a letter about his shoddy work and send it to him with a bill for the new crown.

hmmm, never thought of that, might just do that.

I asked my new dentist what I should do, I didn't want to pay for another crown either, I asked if I should sue and he thought I should give the original dentist a chance to re-do the crown. I made the trip back to another state and this guy, in hind sight decided to punish me. He starting using a LA technique that looks like a ball point pen and started doing multiple painful sticks all around the tooth. He stopped when I asked "what do you think you're doing, I'll just sue and you can pay for the crown that way" He finished the work painlessly.

This is the same guy that did an elective extraction that would "fix my cross-bite" It caused my jaw to look collapsed and I now have to have it replaced with an implant.

In the end he got investigated for insurance fraud.

I understand he is a rare bad apple, but it happened to me, so he's a huge part of why its hard for me to trust any dentist.

oh wow that's horrible. that's very scary.

Shut the front door! This story is scaring me~~~~

#1 I was told my my dentist that a permanent crown should last 5-10 yrs if not longer with proper flossing and dental hygiene so I'd be asking really quick WHY this crown came out after such a short time.

#2 If it was due to the initial dentist's "shoddy" work I'd definitely investigate that further, esp if he was brought up on insurance fraud charges. I guess you can check out your local board of certified dentists and file a complaint.

This is terrible and I hope you can find a solution soon.

Trish

Hello Marquita,

sounds like you'd just like to have a crown that fits and stays in your mouth that you can chew and eat with comfortably. and that this particular crown is not serving you the way that you would like it to.

from a clinical perspective: crowns will stay on and last for years. for some it'll be decades.

some determining factors that allow a crown to stay on longer is determined by the height of the tooth underneath. ie. if there was a lot of decay needing to be removed this can affect the long term retention of a crown, if the tooth was short before the crown preparation because of a lot of grinding of the teeth, if the tooth is naturally shorter... this is more common the case for the second molars. there are different ways a dentist can help a crown to last the amount of time both he and you would like it to, but there are also factors that are limiting (ie, short tooth) that affects the choice of crown material (ie gold vs. porcelain) and retention.

one approach would be to let him know that you were expecting this crown to last longer, that you weren't expecting to have it recemented twice within 3 years, and that you would like him to explain to you why this has occurred. this way you'll have a better understanding of the situation from a clinical perspective. and then you can simply ask for what you would like. the main thing is to keep the communication open. so you can best determine what you'd like to do and ask for that, and from there the lines of communication are open and you can both come to an agreement that both of you are satisfied with.

Best to you,
Dr. Shirley

Last edited:
well today my consoler called my old dentist, and told them about my problem, but the kept telling her that the insurance only covers cleanings, and z-rays, not crown, but i will go there to see if they would get me a deal or for free, [doubt they would do it for free..] there're very slow there too, i once waited 2 hours to get my teeth cleaned.

well today i went to the dentist, they said that they can put a new crown in, but i would need a gum thing, which costs a few hundred dollars or more, and that the other dentist file down the tooth much.

Will you ask them to write a letter so you can ask the old dentist to reimburse you and also possibly seek legal redress?

Will you ask them to write a letter so you can ask the old dentist to reimburse you and also possibly seek legal redress?
\

i don't think they would do that, they're just so rude there. my mom said she would call the main office, but now she'll just shop around for dental insurance.
i just found out from another patient that they lost her sister's teeth! so she had to call the main office.

It's worth making a complaint particularly if they are harming other patients. You should have a good case if you know someone who suffered at their hands. Im sure the last thing they need is more negative publicity. Someone who ruins teeth should not be allowed to practise.

It's worth making a complaint particularly if they are harming other patients. You should have a good case if you know someone who suffered at their hands. Im sure the last thing they need is more negative publicity. Someone who ruins teeth should not be allowed to practise.

yes i agree with you.

Back