• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! Infected tooth, root canal or extraction?

L

lilibetla

Hi, I am new to this website its comforting to realise that so may people are in the same position as me i.e. terrified!

I had a long time of not going to the dentist through sheer fear, then my wisdom teeth really started playing up and I finally had to see some one. I had my wisdom teeth and my back top left tooth removed under GA and it was great, BUT still had more work that needed doing. I decided to be brave and let the dentist do 2 fillings next to each other, it was terrible an did nothing but reaffirm my hatred of the dentist. So I left it a couple more years and then more discomfort, my husband found a new dentist for phobias he is amazing. Really put me at ease and was so kind, a month ago I had 4 fillings under sedation and I couldn't recommend it more highly but he sad one of my teeth is too far gone.

I had a huge filling in it about 10 years ago and about 6 years ago a little bit of the remaining tooth chipped off it didn't hurt so I left it. Whilst I was sedated the dentist patched it up hoping it would last a bit longer so I could decide what to do with it. So now all of a sudden I'm in total agony, NEVER felt so much pain (and I've had a baby) I saw the dentist yesterday who said I have an infection, I have a had a days worth of anti biotics and its still agony.

He said I need to make a decision what to do, I'm so scared. Basically, because I had my top left tooth removed (the back one is my 2nd from the back bottom left) if I have this one removed too none of the molars on my left side would join up but it would only be £360 with sedation. I guess really its a root canal thats looking like the best option Its £400 and thats without sedation! If I added sedation on top it would be close to £1000. He said its not always 100% effective and if I paid all of that went through all that pain and terror and it still didn't work I would be mortified.

Does anyone have any advice? There is no way I can afford root canal and sedation so are there any other options people can suggest, maybe diazapam? Sorry this i so long, I'm just in so much pain and panicing! Also any pain relief tips would be greatfully recieved thank youxxxx

Hi lilibetla and welcome here,

I'm not very familiar with the prices because I live in Germany...
But I would choose the root canal, even if there's no sedation included.
I had two molars extracted, one molar top left , one molar bottom right...I had the choice and first I went for the extraction. Next time I chose the root canal - and it didn't work because of an abscess but I didn't mind because the dentist was fantastic...She did try to save that molar.
I would still choose the root canal ,again and again.

We are not the same, so you have to decide, but I'm sure you will make the right decision :)
I am also sure you will get some very useful advices from the members here - they are all very nice and supportive! :jump:

Wishing you the best,
victorine

Can I just ask, what type of sedation is it please?

Kim, the sedation is IV midazolam. Thanks for the advice Victorine!

lilibetla,

If you can save the tooth, I would choose root canal -- even if you are not able to have IV sedation. You can ask for oral sedation (others on here may know more specifically what type of benzodiazepine works best) which you will take before the procedure. Even though RCT is a very long procedure, it should be entirely painless and far less traumatic for the tooth/gums than extraction. It is also a much gentler procedure. With RCT there is always a chance that it will not work -- you may want to ask the dentist what he thinks that the chances of success are for this particular tooth. I have had 2 RCTs and was terrified both times. But, both times, I was completely pain-free from the moment the local anesthetic took effect.

I know that cost is always a consideration, but even with an extraction, you may be looking at further costs down the road (like for a bridge, etc.).

Best of luck to you!

Back