• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

help just found something more scary than going to the dentist

S

soccermom

Please help I need advice. I am new to this forum. I have read it before but couldn't get back to it because than I had to think about my fear. And I knew what had to be done and that was to just go to the dentist after 13 years. So, I don't know how I did it (Really I don't, I almost cancelled the appt) but I went today. Problem is though it looks like I need at least ten thousand dollars worth of work done. So, now I am more scared of the bills and telling my husband than even going to the dentist! (Isn't it funny how one fear replaces another?). The weird thing is I still feel relieved that I went though. But there's no way we will be able to pay for all of this now so I am trying to think of doing it slowly. But I have some questions does anyone know anything about supplemental dental insurance? Any idea how I can find a good one? Also, I thought about doing the dental school possibly. I think there is one at Washington University in St. Louis Missouri but I can't find anything on the web? Anyone know anything about these things? Also my first appt was just x-rays and exam but I have to come back for my full mouth debridement cleaning in a couple weeks? Is this normal to have the exams one day and cleaning another? Also is this going to be painful?
:scared:Any help appreciated! Soccermom

Last edited:
I think the fear you are now experiencing with regard to financing the dental treatment is what a lot of us also face. I know when I finally made that big step to go to the dentist for my first appointment I was telling myself, what's the point, no money, no insurance plans, wouldn't be able to afford it anyway but thank goodness my sister, my greatest support and ally (apart from all of your members here of course) made me go. Thank goodness for that. Yes, the price I was given was a lot, but actually less than I had imagined, but still not manageable like, yes, OK, here's a fistful of notes, let me pay in advance, money no object sort of thing.
After the shock and relief of knowing exactly what had to be done, I just sat down and calmly went through exactly what needed to be done, over how many appointments, worked out how I could possibly pay, over what period and thank goodness the dentist accepted my payment plan. At the time, even so, I was still a few hundred short but, as always in times of need, that extra help, or angel turned up and I was loaned the extra money (still paying off for that by the way). Still finding it hard because what I forked out myself really used up all my money and though from my journals and postings when I talk about shopping, shopping and more shopping it may seem I have no money problems, yes, I still do, but I put my health first.
Didn't mean this to be such a long posting and all about me at that, but just really wanted to point out that somehow things always work out and yes, you must go and sort your dental health out, that is top priority - finances will take care of themselves. Somehow, you will find a way.:grouphug:

Please help I need advice. I am new to this forum. I have read it before but couldn't get back to it because than I had to think about my fear. And I knew what had to be done and that was to just go to the dentist after 13 years. So, I don't know how I did it (Really I don't, I almost cancelled the appt) but I went today. Problem is though it looks like I need at least ten thousand dollars worth of work done. So, now I am more scared of the bills and telling my husband than even going to the dentist! (Isn't it funny how one fear replaces another?). The weird thing is I still feel relieved that I went though. But there's no way we will be able to pay for all of this now so I am trying to think of doing it slowly. But I have some questions does anyone know anything about supplemental dental insurance? Any idea how I can find a good one? Also, I thought about doing the dental school possibly. I think there is one at Washington University in St. Louis Missouri but I can't find anything on the web? Anyone know anything about these things? Also my first appt was just x-rays and exam but I have to come back for my full mouth debridement cleaning in a couple weeks? Is this normal to have the exams one day and cleaning another? Also is this going to be painful?
:scared:Any help appreciated! Soccermom

Wow. I could have written this a few short weeks ago! There is dental insurance available and there are dental discount plans available, but do your research! Most plans (insurance and discount) have a one year waiting period before they'll cover anything major, and there are many that won't cover pre-existing conditions. I would ask the dentists office what they accept prior to purchasing anything. They can give you some good suggestions. There are many places that offer financing for dental work (THANK goodness!), and if you're interested let me know. I have a list :) It's very normal to have the exam and then come in later for the debridement which is another word for deep cleaning and/or scaling and planning. I'm going through that right now, and they are doing my work over the course of 4 appointments. They clean one quadrant of the mouth at a time. It's not painful at all, but they will numb you up and I always request nitrous to relax. No pain before, during, or after! Don't worry...everything will work out!
Peace,
Susan

Getting treatment at dental schools is much cheaper.​
In the US many posters on here have used Care Credit which involves borrowing the funds up front and paying them back monthly just like any other personal loan.​
The Missouri Dental school have a website with information on how to become a patient.​

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones advice. After a good night sleep I realize I will just have to take this one step at a time. So, I know I will have more questions but at least I have a place to start.:)

AMEN!!! Smart lady :)
Peace,
Susan

Back