• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help - mild TMJ flaring due to root canal therapy.

F

findingthesun

I am currently in the inbetween stages of getting a root canal and crown (I have to wait until the 5th to finish my root canal up, currently it has a temp filling with medication inside to clean out the infection, and once that is set then the whole permanent crown this comes next). This unfortunately has caused an unexpected issue: my jaw is starting to hurt.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ease the pain? I never usually have issues or need intervention because if one side of my jaw gets tired and sore, I just use the other side. My doctor advised me not to eat on the side with the filling, so I'm not entirely sure what to do. :doh:

Last edited:
Take some anti-inflammatories (as long aren't allergic). Ibuprofen is the most readily available (motrin if you're in the USA I think) and is pretty effective for joint pains.

You could try a warm compress on the side that hurts as well. And try to eat soft foods that don't need much chewing, at least for a couple of days until the stiffness and pain wears off.

If it's your TMJ and not the root canal treatment causing the pain, maybe an RMT (registered massage therapist) could help you relieve from those symptoms. I don't know if all RMT's are trained to treat TMJ, but massage to the exterior and interior of the mouth during a treatment could help.

Back