• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP!New job, new boyfriend...I have to see the dentist after 5 years...

I think finding a dentist you like and can trust is key. It was for me, anyway and I had almost 49 years of fear and avoidance, give or take an emergency or two. Now I don't think I was phobic at all, just scared and had trust issues. That has been resolved with now having an awesome
Dentist. Good luck in your journey & pleas keep us posted.

Re: HELP!New job, new boyfriend...I have to see the dentist after 5 years...

Here I am again with some VERY GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance2::thumbsup:

I really thought I had horrible teeth, bot NO, I don't.
Four fillings ( if it's too bad then crowns, but no extractions in the front...anyway we will start them as fillings, and I hope for the best :innocent: ) including a root canal + a wisdom teeth extraction.

And THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can hardly believe it but that's true!!!
I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy now!
Everything was OK. The hygienist took an X-ray first. After I was called in the surgery. I sat in the chair, a bit trembling...:o The dentist came in and welcomed me, looked at my X-ray and examined my teeth - just with the mirror ;D.
-" We won't need anything t do with the lower teeth."
YAY!!!!!!!!!!:jump::jump::jump:I was incredibly happy to hear this.

As for the upper teeth: 12,11,21,22 - these must get the fillings, and that one single wisdom teeth which must out...( I have to check the wisdom teeth topics now...)

He then asked me if I was okay with a cleaning right now. I said yes.
I had to laugh alot - cleaning was totally okay and both the dentist and his hygienist have a really good sense of humour , although once I had to use the stop sign. They stopped immediately and I could have a short break. I was told I'm brave ( not just once ) and the dentist thinks I won't need any sedation for my fillings.

Actually I think that's really possible. Now that I know it's NOT THAT BAD what should be done I think I will survive these appointments :)

Another good news: I mentioned I have two molars missing...One can ( lower tooth ) be replaced with an implant!!!!!! So after we're done with the fillings ( or crowns ) and wisdom teeth is out, then I get my implant, too!

My boyfriend was in the waiting area, he was lovely, caring and nice :love: as usual. I told him I can go alone for my next appointment ( which will be the root canal ). I know I can do it!

Now I have to tell Dad about the good news.

Thanks for your support! I love this Forum and I am very grateful for your kind help!!!:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

Last edited:

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

:dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

I'm super-excited for you! Not only is your treatment plan small, but everyone at your dental practice sounds like a saint! It's amazing how much of a difference a little bit of compassion can make.

Root canal is no big deal, you'll get through that with flying colors. Ditto for the wisdom tooth.

What a wonderful way to start the weekend, thanks so much for sharing the good news with us. Now go celebrate a little!!!

:yay: :dance: :cheers: :dance2: :yay: :dance: :cheers: :dance2: :yay: :dance: :cheers: :dance2: :yay: :dance: :cheers: :dance2: :yay: :dance: :cheers: :dance2: :yay: :dance: :cheers: :dance2: :yay: :dance: :cheers: :dance2:

Thanks, Steve :)

We did celebrate yesterday with my boyfriend, I was so relieved after my cleaning that I made a cherry cake in the evening ;D and I could sleep better than before...

I also told Dad about the treatment plan, he was very happy with it, too. He also suggested me to have that molar implant when we're done with the fillings/ RC / wisdom tooth extraction. So I think I should really ask for it - that would be SOOOOOOOOOOOO great if I would have just one single tooth missing!!!

I checked some wisdom teeth extraction videos...they're not nice but I have to survive it. Hopefully:redface:.

My next appointment will be on the 3rd October. Still alot of time but I'm feeling much better now. Till now I couldn't stand to hear the word "extraction" ( also told my boyfriend NOT to mention this word ) because it scared me so much. Now that I know just a wisdom tooth must be extracted, I'm okay with that word again :)

Thanks for all your help,
victorine

Last edited:

Ahhhhh victorine, you have put a smile on my face and a special warmth in my heart, I am so pleased that the work you have to get done is relatively 'minimal' in comparison to what you thought you may have to get done, and that you are braving this so well. You must feel so chuffed with yourself to get this far in such a short space of time. Bloomin' well done to you young lady - you deserve a good pat on the back :)

I raise my :sleepyjuice:to you - well done.

Kim

Many many congrats!!!!! I know the feeling all too well, so I am thrilled for you to have the same sense of relief!!!!! I am so comfortable walking into the office now, it's an amazing feeling. And I am SO glad that YET ANOTHER member of this forum has the same feeling.

I go back to allowing other fearful members who haven't taken the first step to see that for most of us, it wasn't that bad!!!!

Celebrate girlie!!!!! :jump::jump::jump::jump:

Thanks MC :)

Yeah, I did celebrate ;D, I really did.
I also bought a new toothbrush and when I'm brushing my teeth I praise and thank all my lower teeth and upper molars, premolars and canines that they all stayed in a good shape...despite of neglecting the regular dentist check-ups for SO many years :redface:...

Yesterday I also told my best friend ( on Facebook chat) about my visit at the dentist's. She first didn't read the whole message and asked:
-"Which tooth is it?"- she wanted to know which one caused me such pain that I went to the dentist.

-"Actually I DO NOT HAVE toothache".-I wrote.
She could hardly believe :)...

Today I sent two e-mails, in the first I informed my uncle about the news ( lives in US, MI - he has also dental anxiety so I also told him about DFC..I'm quite sure it could help him, too ) and then another friend.

So, it's really an amazing feeling. I made the appointment, we drove there, and I survived the cleaning, too.
I hope in a couple of months I will be smile again ;D, not hiding my front teeth as in the past 5 years.

I will keep posting, I'm sure I will need support especially before my RC ( 3rd of October )...

Thanks again for you all!

So...today I'm not really happy because I had to cancel my next week appointment :mad:...
I have a training at my workplace both Wednesday and Thursday next week till 8 PM and as far I'm the "new girl" there's no way not showing up ...:cry::cry::cry:

I never thought I would have been sad cancelling an appointment at the dentist's :). But it happened so..it's a new me!:jump:

New appointment will be the 26th October ( plenty of time to prepare myself for RCT )

So now I just have to wait...again.

Here I am with an update ;D
Yesterday I couldn't sleep much, had several nightmares ( more teeth decayed, strange staff and surgery ), no breakfast ...

So yesterday it was time to get my RCT. At least I thougt so in the morning, still panicking.

I got in THE chair at 11 AM and left at 2 PM:) - longest appointment in my entire life.
The result is great, so I'm really very-very happy now!!! In three hours I got not just my RC ( #12 )as planned but #22 filled and #11,#21 prepared for crowns - now having temp crowns on them. ( Appointment for crowns: 9th November :jump:)
I'm not hiding my smile anymore, the temp crowns look sooooo much better like my greyish-decayed front teeth...
And what's more: I had absolutely NO pain. My first RC ( okay, actually it was also the first RC which wasn't an emergency but...) which was painless. The six shots I got in 3 hours were also painless :)
The staff is great, I laughed a lot ( as much as I could ) if I hadn't had my mouth full of instruments I would have thought I'm just listening a stand-up comedy :giggle: The Doc is the BEST. He was doing a GREAT JOB.
I never thought I could manage a 3-hour-appointment with just local, actually laughing all the time. :dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::ROFLMAO:

I'm feeling sooo lucky and happy now!
Thanks for your support :)

WOW that is a hell of a long time in the chair. Well done you :jump::jump::jump: I am so pleased for you, and what a lovely dentist you have. :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cheer::cheer::cheer::yay::yay::yay::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::jump::jump::jump:

Hi All,

here I am again with an update: on the 14th I got my two perm crowns for #11 and #21. They are fantastic!!!! It was my 2nd appointment for the perm crowns, at first something wasn't allright and my doctor suggested to send them back to the lab for some rework. But it was really worth waiting another couple of days because I LOVE them!!!
I have almost my new smile done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump::jump::jump:
It's just #12 for another RC and one single crown on it....But as far as I know RC can be total painless, I'm OK with it. I also found the best staff, they were great as usual : :perfect:

I'm so happy now! I still can't believe but I made some huge steps :) with your help, all your kind words and support!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Sooooo happy for you hunni - well done to you and the people who helped you xx

Well done. :yayy:. I'm so pleased that things have gone so well and that you have found a dental team you feel happy with, it makes all the difference. Your RC will be a complete breeze and you are right it will be totally painless.

:whirl: :wow: :whirl:

Victorine, is the wisdom tooth you mentioned an upper or lower? Is it erupted? So glad all your appts have gone so well. :jump:

Hi tabatha7,

and thanks :)
It is an upper wizzie ( actually my one single wisdom tooth ), erupted & impacted...( Of course I youtubed and googled it but most of the videos are about lower wisdom tooth removal..)

My wisdom tooth removal is scheduled for the last appointment, first I'll have #12 RC & crowned and after an implant #46 :)( without bone graft )

I never thought I'd be able to visit the dentist every 2 weeks but...my phobia is almost gone by now. As soon as I have #12 with the perm crown, I will post some before&after photos. ( I was too ashamed to post just the before pics.)

I like my crowns :) and I'm getting used to smile again sooooooooooo :;D

Back