• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Help please. Autistic child with dental phobia has mild tooth pain.

R

rosielx

My nine year old has autism and is dental phobic. For the last few days he has complained of a mild tooth pain when eating in a molar which has a filling in it. It's a tooth which falls out between 10 and 12 I think.

Our dentist is closed except for emergencies and I dont think this qualifies. His filling is still in I think. Mild pain on eating large lumps of food. Not continuous. Eats cold food and drinks without pain. Sleeps at night and bouncing about during the day.

I'm not sure what to do. He wont take any pain relief and wouldn't tolerate dental work which requires injections.

I'm wondering if this could be teething type pain. He's had the adult molars of this tooth come in on the other side where he had a few removed as a young child.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It's quite possibly pain due to eruption of the underlying adult teeth, eruption guides are just a guide, individual children can vary wildly from the official guides. The fact that the other side's teeth have come in would tend to reinforce that idea.

Given the present circumstances, I don't think there's much else you need to do just now but wait and see what happens.

R

rosielx

Thank you. I think he has a wobbly tooth so fingers crossed. I'm very grateful for the reply :)