• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help Please (Cambridge)...

S

susiefloozy

Hi, I am desperate for some help please. I have a really bad dental phobia and have not visited a dentist for 33 years now, the last time I had 13 teeth removed with IV sedation. Some of my remaining teeth have crumbled and broken making eating solids very difficult. I really need to get this sorted out before I am on just soup forever. I live in Cambridge, (can travel) and I cannot find a phobia friendly dentist anywhere near me. I have no idea how much it costs to go privately, or if I qualify for NHS treatment (I am 64 on a small state pension) I will either need a dentist that does IV sedation or one that can refer me to my local dental hospital who would probably do the procedures for me. Can anyone please help me with a choice of dentist, I am getting really desperate. Thank you. :scared:

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

There is a links tab at the top of this page if you click on it and scroll down there is a find a dentist section on there, if there isn't one in the area you wish to go to if you go on the nhs website and put in your postcode under the dentist section there will be a long list that comes up. Don't be put off if they say they aren't accepting new patients give them a ring and ask. Sometimes they don't keep it up to date. If you are on a small pension you may qualify for free treatment, you most certainly qualify for nhs treatment, anyone can get treated on the nhs for a small amount. The most you will have to pay is £214.00 and that includes all sorts of things doing like crowns, dentures and bridges. There is a full list on here somewhere of the charges and what is included, but if you can't find it they have one on the nhs website.

If I find the thread on her I will link it for you.

When you find one that you like the look of either ring or email them explain that you need treatment and how nervous you are. They will take it from there.

Things have changed so much since you last went. You don't need to look for a dentist that says they deal with nervous patients only, most understand that we are nervous and they are very kind and do all they can to help us relax and get the treatment we need done. The first visit is usually a meet and greet, where they may have a look if you feel comfortable enough and an x ray. They will take it at a pace that you feel you can cope with. You need to take small steps and you will get there.

I understand how nervous you are and the fear you are feeling, but you will be surprised how much easier and pain free it is. Even the injections are given pain free now too. They will not judge you or tell you off.

If you don't feel comfortable leave and find another. :)

You may want to phone up to check but it seems that the NHS Salaried Dental service doesn't cover adult phobics in its remit according to this link:

[broken link removed]

If you are wanting sedated treatment, you can probably go to any NHS dentist and they can refer you appropriately in the particular area, assuming some provision is made somewhere for NHS patients which it should be.

If you want to go private, take a look at this link:

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am desperate for some help please. I have a really bad dental phobia and have not visited a dentist for 33 years now, the last time I had 13 teeth removed with IV sedation. Some of my remaining teeth have crumbled and broken making eating solids very difficult. I really need to get this sorted out before I am on just soup forever. I live in Cambridge, (can travel) and I cannot find a phobia friendly dentist anywhere near me. I have no idea how much it costs to go privately, or if I qualify for NHS treatment (I am 64 on a small state pension) I will either need a dentist that does IV sedation or one that can refer me to my local dental hospital who would probably do the procedures for me. Can anyone please help me with a choice of dentist, I am getting really desperate. Thank you. :scared:

Hope you have some luck with this. Only just found the website, and like you, not visited the dentist for a long time, and the last time I did, thirty years ago also, the old chap who removed a chipped and broken front tooth left part of the root in,which got infected..and I won't go on!! I now need/want to have my teeth removed under sedation.... just looking to find someone who does it in Norfolk, and there doesn't seem to be anyone, and also wanting to find out just what it's like. I need to be fully informed, don't like shocks!! Good Luck.

Back