• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help please I've had enough

T

TAT

I'm a 44 year old women not seen a dentist since I was 16, he was so nasty he knelt on me and was yanking and prodding me I thought I was going to die. I have suffered since, my teeth are disgusting, I avoid talking, smiling I avoid relationships, they are sore, painful and now I have sores everywhere I have felt so bad at times I have contemplated suicide. Please someone help me

Hi TAT. Sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. :( I think dentists nowadays are a LOT more gentle and understanding than back in the day. What area are you located in? You may be able to find someone on the forum who can recommend a dentist who specializes in fearful patients.

I'm in Essex, thank you for you reply x

Of course! Hopefully someone in your area will respond with a recommendation.
-Amber

I found this page on how to find a dentist who specialize in fearful patients. I hope this helps. I know what it's like to suffer in pain... Trust me! If any offer sedation dentistry I would recommend it 100%! I was so nervous about having two teeth pulled the other day I cried on the way there and thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest. They literally gave me the iv (which was painless) and then they were waking me up telling me it was over.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Thank you so very very much, I really do appreciate you making effort :)

Hi Tat,

I'm not so far away - just over the Dart Bridge - and I like you have always hated going to the dentist ever since having a problem with one as a child (ie unsympathetic and not stopping when I was clearly in pain during a procedure)

For many years I didn't go to the dentist and my teeth deteriorated. But things are different now, in the last few years particularily, there are services available to you as a nervous patient - they are very sympathetic. You need to ask your Doctor for a referral to the community dentist. Go to your Doctor first. Print the comments you made here or at least tell her/him what you've said. I promise you this - The Doctor will take it seriously, the Doctor will refer you as a nervous patient and when you get to see the community Dentist they will do everything to make sure you are comfortable, take as long as you want, you would feel no pain and they will sort it out. It will change your life - I've been there, I know how important it is to you - when you've been for the first visit you will see what I mean. Feel free to pm me if you require any further help or advice. Ian ;D

Thank you so much, I never even thought to go to my dr first, I will do that, thank you once again

Thank you so much, I never even thought to go to my dr first, I will do that, thank you once again

Good luck - It would be good to hear how you got on at the Docs, others will benefit from what I know will be good news...;)

Back