• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help, Popped the crown

D

dental_fear

Hi all,

Well I knew things were going too well with this and that that couldn't continue.

Last night i got a bit too agressive with trying to clean behind the back lower molar that has the temp crown on it and accidentally lifted up the back side of the crown a bit. It didn't come off but the back of it did lift up a bit I popped it right back down and it still feels like it is on nice and tight. I even brushed it this AM and it didn't move.

Just called the dentist this AM And told them ,
1. what had occured
2. that it still felt like it was on nice and tight
3. that i dont chew on that side at all anyway

What they said is that so long as i baby it and it is on pretty tight it should be fine till tues when i am due for the perminant crown to be placed.

The did say if i was really nervous about it they could fit me in tommorow (with a different dentist as mine is off tommorow) and they would re cement it for me. I really don't want to do this however because ,

A. One of my biggest fears is that the temps wont come off easy for the perms and the tooth will get damaged, (happened to my Mother with one of hers recently)

B. I really dont want to see some dentist that I have never even met to have him do it no matter how simple it may be.

I was really hoping they would offer to just put on the perm crown today or tommorow so i could be done with it but no such luck.

Oh well so now I am a paranoid wreck. It is kind of no win because no matter what i chose to do, (wait it out or get it recemented) I will have reason to be worrying about it. I am just a paranoid fool I guess. My wife and everyone else just can't understand why I obsess on this so much. To them it's like "it's not a big deal, why worry so much".

Well I have made my decision to wait it out as it feels like it is on there pretty secure. I will go on a liquid slimfast diet for the next 4 days (probably good for me anyway), and I will be careful when i brush that area.

Sorry to rant for so long, any words of wisdom or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day all.

Sorry to hear all that, I dont know what I would do if my temp came off, I am so so carefull when I brush it as I too am worried what i would do if it came off!

I guess if they thought it was a major concern they would have asked for you to go in and get it fixed as soon as possible and seeing as they gave you the option and told you to be extra careful I wouldnt worry to much, easier said than done I know, especially as I would be pretty worried if mine came off!

My biggest worry is that mine wont pop off as easy as everyone says it will too, I am concerned about the whole procedure really as it will be the first time I would have had anything done in my mouth without IV sedation!

All I can say is to take the dentists advice and be careful and I am sure everything will be OK? I wouldnt have gone in and let any dentist take it off either, I am beginning to build a relationship with my dentist and for me trust is a very important issue and for me to see someone else would just scare me senseless!

Oh and I know the feeling about everyone thinking I your obsessed with teeth! I am always going on about things to my husband and as he isnt afraid, doesnt really know or understand why I am like the way I am!

Thanks for the advice on the toothbrush as well, I have decided to go with Oral B, see how it goes!

Back