• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! Root canal tomorrow: Xanax or Valium?

P

PhobicinPA

First post and so glad this forum exists. i have a root canal tomorrow - first - have never had anything except four fillings before. Very terrified. I "failed" this procedure a year ago and practically threw the dentist off me - gag reflex kicked in and I panicked. (it's a top rear molar)

it has taken me a year to get up the courage to try again. This is a different dentist, highly recommended for his empathy, and he uses nitrous.

For beforehand, my regular doctor prescribed 0.5 mg Xanax and 2mg Valium. (Actually there was a mixup - he first prescribed Xanax and then changed it to Valium but when I went to the pharmacy they gave me both.) There are two pills of each.

The reason for the stingy amount is that I am a recovering addict, and the doctor knows and is working with me to ensure I don't fall off the wagon, so to speak.

I certainly don't want to do that - god no! - but I want to make sure I am as close to comatose as I can get before this procedure. My doctor obviously could have prescribed much more powerful drugs, but he's not inclined to let me off my addict hook, I think.

All that said, which should I take beforehand, and am I right that these dosages are so pathetically low that I should take both of whichever one I pick?

i abused the hell out of most prescription drugs (including Xanax), so I'm quite aware of the side effects and dangers ... But I also have no tolerance anymore (I've been clean since 1996). I am leaning toward taking the milligram of Xanax, just for the immediate hit, but am worried that it's just not enough. However, 4mg of Valium is probably even less effective.

Again, I want to be as close to comatose as I can -- this is well beyond anxiety for me.

thanks for any guidance.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I am sorry I cannot help you with your question as I have no medical qualifications of any kind, I wanted to pop in and welcome you. Hopefully someone in the know will be along before your appointment with an answer for you.

You could always ring the dentist and ask them what they recommend you to do and which tablets to take. I do know that usually people take both tablets and think that they haven't worked but they report back that they were aware of the treatment but didn't give a monkeys.

I wish you Good luck for your appointment :clover::clover::clover: Let us know how you get on :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

I'm not a dentist, but have worked in mental health and am familiar with these meds. As you know, everyone responds differently. Even with significant sobriety, your body may or may not act as if it is benzo-naive. Either way, neither of those doses is going to make you oblivious. I know it's late for this now, but it might be worth working with a counselor on cognitive behavioral strategies to manage anxiety in the future.

Just to add, I don't take benzodiazepines due to fear of addiction and also fear of loss of control. It's taken me many years, but I have developed cognitive/behavioral strategies for managing anxiety that I would guess work just as well as any medication could. There is absolutely a place for medication. However for those of us who can't or won't take them (for whatever reason), it's important to know that there are definitely other tools out there.

Thank you for the support. I ended up taking 1mg of Xanax, which didn't do a whole lot, but did calm me. I was given the nitrous and THAT made all the difference. I used a sleep mask, cranked up my iPhone playlist and was happy. Felt nothing at all. It was a smidge uncomfortable and hard to get used to the mask over my face, but I managed.

i will make sure I have nitrous for every single dental procedure from now on. SUCH a difference. Why is this not more prevalent? And good grief, why don't insurance companies in the US cover it? It's like refusing to cover anesthesia for an operation if you ask me, at least for those of us who have outsize fear and panic over the visits.

Again, glad to have found this site. Thanks again!

I am so pleased to read that things went well for you and you found a way to stay calm while you have your treatment done. Thank you for letting us know how things went. :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::cheer2::whirl::whirl::whirl::whirl::perfect::butterfly:

Back