• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help, what is this mystery white bump?

R

Raku1

16 days after an upper molar extraction, I've still got swollen gums above the site (the socket itself seems fine). Have been on metronizadole 400mg 3x daily since Thursday, and rinsing with diluted Corsodyl - it's brought down the swelling and inflammation somewhat. But I've noticed this white spot on the swollen gum (arrowed). Not particularly painful, but what is it? Could it be an abscess? Would be very grateful for any views.
I'm due to finish my ABs tomorrow, and I expect I'll have to call NHS 111 again for a follow-up. I'm sure they won't let me see an actual dentist.☹
Tooth pic.jpg

Difficult to answer. A dentist has to diagnose it. If it is hard-might be a bone prominence. If it is soft and supportive- might be an infection.
and again, I can’t tell much without seeing and making an x ray.

Thank you Dr Daniel. It is relatively hard - so maybe a prominence? Could that have been somehow aggravated when I had the extraction?

Thank you Dr Daniel. It is relatively hard - so maybe a prominence? Could that have been somehow aggravated when I had the extraction?
Yes. The bone and the tissues around it are changing shape and it should continue changing. As long as it’s not painful, I wouldn’t do anything about it.

Thanks again Dr Daniel! Much appreciated.

Update: I spoke to a NHS dentist today who looked at the photo and came to same conclusion: he thinks it's the bone in the process of reshaping. He said cautiously that the process could "take a while".
Oh dear, I'm not looking forward to this. On the plus side, I've read of experiences where it all sorted itself out in the end. And in my head I know it's better to let the body heal itself. But the idea of days taking more painkillers is depressing (and I can't take ibuprofen, so have to rely on paracetamol and co-codamol). Also the disrupted nights - I've never watched so much rubbish 2am television in my life! :)
Anyway, will try to stay positive!

Just hoping that I can ask for advice again (maybe from Dr Daniel?). The gum is still slightly swollen and a very little bit tender. So far, it responds well to paracetamol, salt rinse and a chlorhexidine mouthwash at night. Is this normal for a gum that is reshaping with bone prominence? I'm now 22 days post-extraction. I just keep getting paranoid that it might be going wrong, even though I've been told that it is part of the recovery. Grateful for any advice! Thanks.

Hi Raku1,
I agree with Dr Daniel and yes, this type of swelling can happen during the re-shaping process. It’s a gradual process while the body is working to mend itself. The normal response of the body during such healing involves inflammation. This actually helps with the healing and two of the features of this process are tenderness and swelling.

I would suggest that you keep doing what you are doing for as long as you feel you need to. I would be hopeful that it should improve as times goes on though I appreciate that it can feel a bit ‘weird’ at this stage. Continuing to keep it clean and comfortable is the best thing you can do.

Hope this helps and of course Dr Daniel may add to this.

All the best,
Niall

Hi again Raku1,

Sorry to hear you are also still dealing with this. I just wanted to mention that I consulted with two oral surgeons via pictures this week as I've been in so much pain and distress with my situation. They both told me they acknowledge it can be "exquisitely painful" but reassured me they do not recommend further treatment and it will eventually reshape and heal itself. Mine actually protrudes through the gum after an earlier intervention made it a bit worse and it is so bad I wake up in the night. With that said, I went 12-14 hours yesterday with no pain and no pain meds which is the longest stint yet, so perhaps it's improving? My extraction was almost 4 weeks ago.

I empathize and hope we both recover very soon.

Thank you so much Niall for your kind advice, really appreciate it. You're absolutely right - part of it is this "weird" feeling on my gum!
And thanks Foofie for sharing and giving support. We'll find a way through this!

Back