• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help

D

Deb822

I went to the dentist. Was told I need upper dentures with teeth pulled. I am scared please help!! I have so much anxiety

Deb,

Welcome to Dental Fear Central. You are in a place you can get a lot of support while you go through this process and just digest your new diagnosis and what you were told. Did they give you any other options? What are you most scared and anxious about ? Is this with a dentist you trust?

Hi, thank you for responding. I guess my biggest fear is just having a upper plate. I am waiting for the dentist to call me. I spent all day Wednesday crying and reading things on the internet. I have an anxiety disorder that I take meds for due to loosing our son to cancer when he was 6. It seems like if something comes up with me I just ruminate about it and get a ton of anxiety. I'm my heart I know it will be fine but I cant seem to get myself to believe it.

Deb822,

I can so understand your anxiety over this and am so very sorry for the loss of your son to cancer. I can only imagine the pain of going through that as a parent. This news of dentures is a big change.. and really it is a loss too , though not a person but a part of you , and a bit of even a grieving process losing your upper teeth. I can see how it would trigger alot of feelings and anxiety. I am saying this as a parent who has also lost a child through other health issues and has lost teeth and went through bottom denture process and losing multiple teeth at a time, getting used to new reality and how to function.. It is alot. So when you feel like ruminating know that you can come on here and people will support you and encourage you and there is also some great information on dentures and going through the process. You are not alone in this! I really hope you have a kind compassionate dentist to help you through this process too!

Sorry to read about your anxiety.. if you feel the need to read anything on the internet, may I suggest you look around here on success stories of other people, it might be of help and give you some reassurance. We have a lot of people around who got dentures and were really happy with it. I have never met anyone who would get calmer from reading stuff elsewhere, I think people on the internet always write about the bad things.

Deb822,

I can so understand your anxiety over this and am so very sorry for the loss of your son to cancer. I can only imagine the pain of going through that as a parent. This news of dentures is a big change.. and really it is a loss too , though not a person but a part of you , and a bit of even a grieving process losing your upper teeth. I can see how it would trigger alot of feelings and anxiety. I am saying this as a parent who has also lost a child through other health issues and has lost teeth and went through bottom denture process and losing multiple teeth at a time, getting used to new reality and how to function.. It is alot. So when you feel like ruminating know that you can come on here and people will support you and encourage you and there is also some great information on dentures and going through the process. You are not alone in this! I really hope you have a kind compassionate dentist to help you through this process too!
Thank you so much for your kind words and understanding.

Sorry to read about your anxiety.. if you feel the need to read anything on the internet, may I suggest you look around here on success stories of other people, it might be of help and give you some reassurance. We have a lot of people around who got dentures and were really happy with it. I have never met anyone who would get calmer from reading stuff elsewhere, I think people on the internet always write about the bad things.
Thank you so much for responding, it feels very nice to not feel so alone.

Hi Everyone, I went to get a second opinion regarding my teeth and getting upper dentures. I took my x-rays and all the paper work from the first Dentist. I was shocked to be told that dentures are the last resort. The Dentist told me that my teeth are not that bad. Yes I do have some pockets (I guess receding gum lines) but most are a 2 and 3 with just a couple being a 5. He said they don't worry about those until they are like 8,9,10. He said all I needed was a deep cleaning and then come in about every 3 to 4 months to be checked. One side done one week then the other the next week. I am not sure what to do. The first dentist was so adamant about removing my teeth!! I was thrilled to hear what he had to say but can't understand how 2 dentists can have such a different approach. I am thinking of doing one more consult with a different dentist to see what they say. He did say I have one cavity that is easy to fix. Why am I getting such different results from 2 dentists. Can anyone help? Thanks

Deb822,

I understand how getting different plans and quotes and thoughts that are so contradicting can be totally confusing and you wonder who to believe. I'm glad you got a better report from the 2nd dentist though. Where did you feel the most peace, seems like the 2nd dentist was a little relieving and hopeful. I may go for a tiebreaker opininon myself too .

Agree with krlovesherkids777, seek a third opinion. Some dentist are more conservative or aggressive with treatment than others. Normally, the goal is to try to preserve your teeth and bone and not jump to invasive procedures (depending on the situation).

Thank you for your input. I will get a 3rd opinion. It's just so weird that they were polar opposites.

Back