• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Here I am again. Trying.

turtlelove

turtlelove

Hi there! Here I am again. I don't understand why I am still struggling. I need treatment bad. Teeth extracted. Don't know which way to go about replacing them. Moved. No dentist yet. Horrible experiance with the last one anyway. I keep thinking its me. Maybe I don't deserve help. Maybe I just can't be helped. I had a tooth break because the wisdom tooth came in at an awkward angle. along with 3 others that can not be saved. The dentist. I was 38 weeks pregnant. She yelled at me because I Said I just cant go so close to my due date. I really need to be sedated. She called me a wuss. That was a little over a year ago. Now last night i had a new tooth break while flossing. Seriously just flossing. that wisdom tooth is cutting a gash into my cheek. And I still can't even call. I am frozen in fear. I have a therapist for my anxiety disorder. and the psychologist in the same office perscribed me xanax. I'm so scared to start this. I have 2 small kids and zero help. My husband will have to take off work. to take me to appointments with the kids out in the car. I'm scared of extracton recovery and taking care of 2 tiny kids at the same time. I am scared of not being able to eat which is rediculous because I can't eat now. And I am terrified I can't afford it even though I hqve dental insurance. Also scared about being 34 years old and needing partial dentures. Why do I think my self worth is any lower for losing teeth this early in life?! That part really upsets me. And if you made it this far in my rambling. Thank you. Truly. I hope no one has as much trouble as me. This is rediculous and I HATE it.

Last edited:
Hi turtlelove,

reading your post I can feel a sense of a complete overwhelm. It sounds like you really don’t know where to start and like everything is too much. I was sorry to read about how you feel about yourself and how you are beating yourself up for your fears. You don’t have to. So many people are afraid of the dentist and if you had experienced other things in your past that made you lose self-confidence, it can be even harder to cope with all the dental stuff. Please, if you can, try to be kind to yourself. Love and kindness is what you need, not hate. You’re trying and you‘re here and that’s the only thing that counts.
You mentioned you moved, does that mean that things worked out with the loan and buying a house? I saw your past posts and remember you mentioned that...
I can tell you that a dentist yelling at you certainly is not about you. I am really sorry you had to go through this, on top of everything. I would get up and leave immediatelly, wouldn’t even allow a hair dresser or a supermarket clerk to yell at me, not to speak about a dentist. I can’t even imagine what this must have done to your self-confidence. I hope you will chose your next dentist well. Not sure where in Missouri you are, but we have few recommendation in the Find or Recommend a Dentist section here on the forum... You know the game. Looking around, chosing wisely, contacting a practice and checking whether they are good for nervous patients, thinking about what is it that scares you.. and so on.. and so on. And take the time you need.. if you don’t feel able to call (yet), then don’t.. there are many steps that you can do before that.

Sending you hugs and well wishes. You deserve help and you can do this. :friends:At you own pace, but you can.

:grouphug:

Thank you. The loan did work and my family finally has a home! From a 900sq ft Apartment where the down stairs neighbor hated my kids. To a 1,500 sq ft. plus a finished basement. Finally a home. ?

And you are right it really does feel like too much. I had serveral trumatic events happen in the last few months cancer in the family, Sudden death of the family pet of 14 years, my son knocked his 2 front teeth and chipped them really bad. My daughter had extensive dental work. She only has 1 visit left. I have to go back with her which is hard for me. She was great everytime except last time. They had to hold her down even with the laughing gas. ?
I finally sought help for the anxiety disorder. Tried medication and wound up sick. Now just therapy. They did give me xanax for the dentisit office so i am prepared. I know I have to go. It's constantly on my mind and I do mean constantly. Constantly feel fear.
Thank you for your reply. I will look into those dentists. I'm about an hour from the ones in St. Louis. Willing to drive if I can actually find a dentist that can help me.

Congrats on the new home! Sounds pretty exciting and surely stressful too. Sorry to read about all the devastating other things that happened in the last few months. Just rereading the summary of what you have been dealing with (and add Covid on top), it's not a surprise that you are struggling. Tackling dental treatment is such a difficult stressful thing and it's hard even if the whole rest of your life would be perfectly calm.. but then if other stressors come to it, it can seem like an impossible task. You are doing the best you can. You are trying and that's the thing that counts. So if you can, don't beat yourself up, but take it one step at a time. There is a right dentist for everyone, so there must be one for you too. :clover:

Hi there! Here I am again. I don't understand why I am still struggling. I need treatment bad. Teeth extracted. Don't know which way to go about replacing them. Moved. No dentist yet. Horrible experiance with the last one anyway. I keep thinking its me. Maybe I don't deserve help. Maybe I just can't be helped. I had a tooth break because the wisdom tooth came in at an awkward angle. along with 3 others that can not be saved. The dentist. I was 38 weeks pregnant. She yelled at me because I Said I just cant go so close to my due date. I really need to be sedated. She called me a wuss. That was a little over a year ago. Now last night i had a new tooth break while flossing. Seriously just flossing. that wisdom tooth is cutting a gash into my cheek. And I still can't even call. I am frozen in fear. I have a therapist for my anxiety disorder. and the psychologist in the same office perscribed me xanax. I'm so scared to start this. I have 2 small kids and zero help. My husband will have to take off work. to take me to appointments with the kids out in the car. I'm scared of extracton recovery and taking care of 2 tiny kids at the same time. I am scared of not being able to eat which is rediculous because I can't eat now. And I am terrified I can't afford it even though I hqve dental insurance. Also scared about being 34 years old and needing partial dentures. Why do I think my self worth is any lower for losing teeth this early in life?! That part really upsets me. And if you made it this far in my rambling. Thank you. Truly. I hope no one has as much trouble as me. This is rediculous and I HATE it.

Hi reading your message I can completely relate to you, my first dentist I had was awful always seemed like he was putting me down in regards to my teeth so that then ended up with me not wanting to go dentist I thought my teeth aren’t that bad they can wait, fast forward a few year after having 2 children I got severe gum disease and my teeth started to move and had massive gaps in between my teeth I plucked up courage and joined a new dentist best thing I did

I am now 35 living with 2 partial dentures a top one and bottom one I actually asked to have more teeth out then I needed so my smile would be symmetrical I never smiled even in photos with my children now I can’t stop smiling

I found the teeth extraction was ok as I put headphones in and listen to music my bottom partial was fitted about 4 weeks ago and I don’t even know it’s in there now feels normal I only had my top one done 2 days ago it’s taking some getting used to it but taking each day as it comes fixodent is a god send aswell

good luck with your journey

I Did it I took the first step I made the appointment! I have been working on the courage to do that for 2 years!

I Did it I took the first step I made the appointment! I have been working on the courage to do that for 2 years!

when is your appointment? Well done be proud of yourself

March 30th.

March 30th.

that’s brilliant honestly after you have been you will realise best thing you ever did, can you keep me updated on your progress would love to be on this amazing journey with you

that’s brilliant honestly after you have been you will realise best thing you ever did, can you keep me updated on your progress would love to be on this amazing journey with you
Thank you! I have been reading some of your past posts and you seem like you are several steps ahead of me on this journey. Its so wonderful to have some one to talk to about it. I am getting a bit nervous but more just ready to be done with it. Hope you are well. Will post what the dentist says on Tuesday.

Thank you! I have been reading some of your past posts and you seem like you are several steps ahead of me on this journey. Its so wonderful to have some one to talk to about it. I am getting a bit nervous but more just ready to be done with it. Hope you are well. Will post what the dentist says on Tuesday.
Thank you , you can always message me I’ll try my best to help you

good luck for tomorrow

Well Tomorrow I make the appointment for the consult with the surgeon. The ball is rolling toward my partial dentures. A bit shocked over the price. 3,000 so far out of pocket. That's with out what the surgeon charges. So nervous about all of it. Had a tooth break more today too. I am so tired of that happening. Trying to stay calm.

Monday April 19th Oral surgeon Consult. Nervous already.

Yay that’s great news, honestly In a few months with your partials you will love it being able to smile in photos I love that I can now have photos with my children where I’m smiling never had that before xx

oh smiling ? I forgot all about that! ? It's like riding a bike right?

Omg it’s an amazing feeling keep me updated please x

So tomorrow is supposed to be a consult with the oral surgeon. I just a tooth break more at dinner and it is cutting my tounge so bad. Sitting here crying. nervous and scared. don't know if I have a support system ready. my parents backed out on watching the kids tomorrow. they agreed later only after they yelled at me. I have to drive myself tomorrow. ? part of me hopes he can just remove them tomorrow if he has time. The other part of me is just trying to continue on like nothing is wrong. I haven't cried like this or felt this bad in so long. What do I do?

So tomorrow is supposed to be a consult with the oral surgeon. I just a tooth break more at dinner and it is cutting my tounge so bad. Sitting here crying. nervous and scared. don't know if I have a support system ready. my parents backed out on watching the kids tomorrow. they agreed later only after they yelled at me. I have to drive myself tomorrow. ? part of me hopes he can just remove them tomorrow if he has time. The other part of me is just trying to continue on like nothing is wrong. I haven't cried like this or felt this bad in so long. What do I do?

you have me I’ll support you through this, just remember you are taking the right steps to get that pearly white smile you want, I felt the exact same way as your feeling and in time it does get better and it becomes your new normal you can always message me if your struggling x