• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Here It Goes! - LONG POST

Well done! Agree with what the others say and would add to that - don't worry about getting the tooth extracted - I think it sounds like a good idea. Firstly, I had a middle molar at the bottom extracted at aged 25, not much older than you - yours won't show, so cosmetically it's not an issue - and you still have plenty of teeth to chew on - one missing there won't make any difference. Secondly - a broken tooth can lead to infection and an abscess (and abscesses are a horrible - and then the tooth would probably have to come out anyway. You'd be saving yourself a lot of pain and problems in the future by having it extracted now. You lose a tooth but you gain dental health. Don't hang on to a tooth that could cause you problems or infection. And it's really good news that the others just need fillings. I would also ask for all white fillings. You might have to pay extra for the white fillings that they were going to do as amalgam. People have different views and thoughts on amalgam fillings, but I think it's better to have the fillings all of the same type - and white ones. As for the different colouring - they will clean your teeth up after the treatment (the dental polish thing). I'm sure that will be white enough! If it isn't you could try a tooth whitening toothpaste or have them whitened at the dentist. I think the tooth cleaning is usually the last appointment after the dental work (fillings etc).

I also don't like being tipped right back! If you mentally prepare for it happening it's not so bad - just go in thinking - I'll be lying down for a bit. I think it throws us because it's not something that used to happen in the past. The people filling in the charts (usually a dental nurse) do just that - fill in charts and hand things - and are usually not qualified in any way - and yes I've had them give me looks before as well - or tut - ignore her! The dentist is the one doing the treatment. Yes email her - I wouldn't query the extraction - just accept it (and sometimes it's quicker than a filling) - but you could ask - could she please confirm if they are planning to clean up/whiten your teeth so that the fillings are a similar colour. And state - I would like to have all white fillings please, and no amalgams - could you let me know if there is any additional cost for this.

I would say that both materials (composite and amalgams) have their pros on cons. Obviously I'm talking about back teeth, it's a given that anything which shows prominently should be tooth-coloured :). Composite fillings are much more technique-sensitive. And while a well-executed white filling can last for a very very long time, on average, amalgam wins hands down in the longevity stakes.

It would really depend on factors such as the dentist's technique when placing the fillings and how motivated you are to look after them as to which material is better. They both have their pros and cons. For example, there may be less recurrent decay with amalgams, but a lot depends on factors like diet etc.

White fillings can't be bleached so if you wanted to whiten your teeth, you would need to this beforehand (as you correctly guessed :)!). The best way would be with a custom-made tray which you can use at home, though you should bear in mind that this will need topping up (not sure how often, I haven't tried it myself). You may find though that your teeth are whiter anyway after a cleaning, and you could decide then.

Getting a second opinion may really help with this decision-making process, so I think it's a great idea :thumbsup:! It would also give you the opportunity to find out if the molar that was suggested for removal might not be saved with root treatment (depending on what's wrong with it).

The teeth that are missing are indeed the wisdom teeth - you can find some handy tooth charts here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/tooth-numbering-systems/ - lucky you :thumbsup:!

There's some tips about being tipped back (or not as the case may be :p) and staying in control on this page: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/loss-of-control/

Well done to you :jump:- as Steve said, it's a huge achievement and one you can be very proud of :respect:!!!

It's been a while and apologys for not updating this but the reason being is that nothing really has happened :(.

As most of you know, i faced my fear and went to the dentist, had a treatment plan drawn up and was told to wait for an appointment through the post so that I could see someone with more time. I thought it would only be a couple of weeks maximum but no. I eventually got a phone call 2 and a half weeks later saying that they could book me in on August 14th so that I could start my treatment plan. Of course tomorrow is the 14th when i go back but its been a month since i initially seen the dentist (whom may I say was a nice lady) but my appointment tomorrow is with someone who I have never seen before.

I said I was going to get a second opinion which i have tried to do. I checked out lots of dentists websites and whilst some seemed suitable, they were not "ideal" so to speak. I eventually phoned a practice which was based on recommendation and its not far from my University so I thought it could be a good bet. I phoned up and asked if i could see someone etc and was bluntly told "No". Nothing else was said, I Asked her what she meant by no and she replied with "we don't do that here" and put the phone down. Needless to say I was completely shocked as they were a dentist and all i wanted was to see one of them!, so as you can imagine my confidence has been dented and i still Have not had a second opinion :(

My form says that I'm having and I quote "OHI, A UL7" which i have no idea what it means apart from I'm having a filling on my upper left molar. These are booked in as amalgam but i asked the receptionist about composite and she said i need to speak to the dentist which means i wont know if i can get them until I'm in the chair!!.

I also need to ask about whitening as with braces / jaw surgery on the horizon I need my teeth looking as healthy as possible before I see a consultant but I haven't even seen a hygienist yet which i presume is the first step as the teeth surely need to be properly cleaned before they get whitened?. I'm also unsure what will happen in regards to the fillings as they plan on doing fillings tomorrow but if i get my teeth whitened they wont match so technically i should get the whitening done first but ill have to ask when i go as the receptionist said "ask your dentist". I also need 1 extraction which if they plan on doing tomorrow I'll refuse as i desperately need to get a second opinion on it.

All in all, I feel that things are progressing REALLY slowly and I'm hoping I can have all the work done before I go back to University on October 1st, but at the same time things are happening really fast and I'm left feeling confused and not in control. :(.

I just wanted to say good luck with your appointment! I'm not sure about time differences, but hopefully it is already over for you now and went really well! :)

That is strange about your request for a second opinion being turned down. I think a lot of places are happy to give them but maybe some think they would be undermining other dentists' business/opinions if they give them? Who knows, but they shouldn't have been so rude about it at least. Keep looking if you feel you need that second opinion and hopefully you will find somewhere to give you one soon! Maybe you can ask the dentist you'll see today since it is a different dentist and kind of like a second opinion even if it is the same practice?

I know what you mean about things seeming to progress slowly yet quickly at the same time. It would probably feel that way no matter how close or far apart your visits were scheduled--I think everything scary comes up too fast even if you've had weeks or months in advance to prepare for it and worry about it!:giggle:

Again, good luck and let us know how it goes/went. :XXLhug:

My visit today actually went quite well :). The new dentist is quite nice and of a similar age which i thought would be embarrassing but she was fine. I had a lot of my questions answered but theres still a few things I need clearing up.

So my "treatment" still hasn't officially began because I didn't have any fillings today (only a scale, which wasn't painful as such but strange and some gel stuff). I'm a step forward on the whitening front whereby she said she would not advise me to have a home whitening kit made and if I was to get any whitening done I should get the instant (1hr chair) type done instead, but they don't offer it there so ill have to have a search and get it done before the fillings start in a couple of weeks.

However one thing didn't sound quite right whereby she said that I should get composite fillings matched to my current teeth colour and then when my mouth is "fixed", but before the braces/surgery stage have the fillings replaced so that they would match my new whiter colour. I don't know what to make of this as I always presumed that once a tooth is filled, it shouldn't be messed with unless the filling failed?, maybe someone could clarify this? :).

It went quite well and I left with some 5000mg fluoride toothpaste so now i will have to prepare myself for the extortionate amount of pain my bank balance is about to go through, but I've left it so long and it needs to be done. I guess I only have myself to blame.

I'm glad your appointment went well and you liked this dentist too. :)

That does seem kind of strange about the filling replacement, but I don't really know so my opinion probably isn't worth much. Hopefully someone who does know more will chime in with a better answer. I just can't imagine many people would want to get fillings twice even if they weren't dental phobic at all and it seems like a bit of a waste of time/money/supplies. :dunno: Maybe if you do get the 1 hour whitening done first it won't be a problem. I have a friend who got that Zoom whitening done once, and she was happy with the results and said the process itself was pretty easy.

Well, take care and I hope everything keeps going well for you! :)