• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hey

C

Courtney17

I need some help I’ve never had a needle in my mouth before and I have got so much work that needs doing loads of teeth out and fillings and root canals I’ve been in pain for 3 years now and I’ve put up with it and it’s horrible

Welcome, Courtney17. You’re in great company here. The first time I had a numbing shot was when I was 31 (after avoiding the dentist for decades). I was amazed at how quick it was and way better than shots and when they draw blood. The best part is it’s done so that you don’t feel any pain while they work on your teeth, which makes a cavity filling, root canal, or extraction feel the same... painless!

The pain you are in now can be ended, as scary as it seems. I lived with a cracked tooth for years. I’d get quite a zing when walking into cold water. Not even 30 minutes after walking into a dentist office was it fixed.

You’ll find great support here. Hang in there.

:welcome:
Hi Courtney17,

Glad you are here in DFC. I identify with you about being scared of needles and never having one . I didn't until my early 20's when I finally was given a choice either try it or leave the office because a dentist did not want to cause me any pain and explained that it would be too painful without. Well, due to his nice manner how he said it , I agreed to do it. and I was pleasantly surprised not only that the shot didn't hurt, those I was scared to death and really anxious on the chair. The guy had a lot of patience. I also was surprised that fillings really don't hurt with anesthetic or really anything. I had lived up until that point with dentists that would not give me anything but nitrous and it was awful without local.

Its a leap of faith and brave step to let a needle come near your mouth , however I encourage you most of the time you can't feel it a bit. and it makes everything pain free! If you do need it I would also discuss your fear of this and make sure they know and agree to go slow and explain things along the way and be okay with a stop signal if you need to stop

I agree with @thisisme you will feel much better after walking out and getting the work you need to get rid of your pain. Really wish you the best .. keep us updated.. this is a great place to vent with people who understand.

Hi Courtney17 :welcome: ,

really sorry to read about this, that sounds nightmarish :( How are you doing now?

I was also wondering what is it about needles that scares you (may sound like a silly questions, but there really are so many different fears) and whether it's general or only connected to the dentist?

All the best wishes and let us know your thoughts
:grouphug:

Thankyou so much for your comment I’m scared of it really hurting and me flinching or not being able to go through with it even if they have stuck it in my gum wish there was a numbing cream like you can have with your arm as I can have blood tests with numbing cream not a problem

Hey Courtney, some great news here, there is a numbing gel that gets applied before the needle is set. There are many kinds of it and it works great :)

Here is a link that may give you some reassurance:

Hi Courtney17,

Yes, just like @Enarete says There actually is topical anestic they give you first they rub on and let it sit there for a few minutes to soak in. So you rarely feel the shots. It works pretty amazing! And it even comes in different flavors , my dentist used to joke he stopped ordering the Pina Colada because of too much salivation it was so good.

Hey Courtney, some great news here, there is a numbing gel that gets applied before the needle is set. There are many kinds of it and it works great :)

Here is a link that may give you some reassurance:

Really OMG never knew that maybe it might help me then :) I’m so frightened I can’t even get myself in the chair ?

Back