• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi all, new here and just need a little boost

M

MetalHead316

My name is Ben, and i just found this board tonight.

I honestly dont know where or how i became so fearful of the dentist, i never had a specific bad experience...i mean ive had in the past when i was younger a couple teeth pulled to make room, which i know i didnt like but i got through it.

Ive had braces and did all that in my teens, and course done fillings.

But for some reason, within the last few years ive just been SO fearful. I just hate it...literally, hate it with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns  :cry:

I just within the last 5 years or so just havent been to many regular checkups and it takes major major effort to do so. And now that iknow im going to need some work, im really just frustrated and panicky.

My last appointment i was at was 1 year ago, and i got a cleaning and nothing else.

He said that i did have 1 tooth that needed a filling, but said i could get it sometime soon.

That was the tooth that is 2nd from the back on my right side. Not sure what teeth are what  :rolleyes:

But sometime last summer, i was eating jellybeans and it cracked the tooth basically, split it. But its above the gumline. Its just its like a big cavity with the side of it busted off a bit.

And then recently, once again lol i was eating some jelly beans and i think i had a cavity start up in the last tooth on my left side and i think it as close to the edge of the tooth. And when it got compacted with that candy, it cracked as well. Basically all the tooth is there, just cracked up and jagged a bit.

Im just scared and i hate being such a wuss about the dentist :(

But im trying to convince myself that if i go now, it will eliminate any further problems.

The dentist last time said i had strong teeth, so i guess that good to know.

I also once had a root canal and it wasnt bad at all, so my question is...should that tooth most likely get a root canal, the one on my right side?

And then on my left side, should i expect a crown?

If i can get like opinions of what some of you think, it will so help me to just go and get it done.

Like the main thing is, i have the money for further work on a tooth...so with that in mind, will most likely the teeth be able to be worked on with root canal and crown most likely?

Btw...i really feel bad for ones on this board that have some serious fears, i hate seeing anyone be scared of something so bad.

On a lighter note, if you cant tell..one of my favorite candies is jellybeans   :redface:

Hi Ben :welcome:

First of all, you probably know this anyway, but jellybeans are soooooo full of sugar, that eating them in huge quantities won't really do your teeth any favours :( but as an occasional treat, they're OK (BTW, I'm quite a fan of Jellybelly beans myself (chocolate fudge is my favourite :)) although they're sometimes hard to get hold of here in the UK, which is probably just as well ;)).

You were saying that you're fearful of going to the dentist although you're unsure why. It's not unheard of for people to become scared of going to the dentist without a seemingly obvious reason, so you're not the only one :). Sometimes even simple things like hearing other people's negative comments about dental visits can have an effect on us, even though we might not realise it at the time. Or if they haven't been for a while (or ages as the case may be ;)), then some people can feel ashamed, embarrassed or guilty (or even all three) which makes the whole thing worse and then they start to feel scared.

Although you might not know what caused your fear, is there anything that happens at a dentist appointment which makes you nervous or scared? I don't know if you've seen it already, but there's some information about different fears here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/

MetalHead316 said:
But im trying to convince myself that if i go now, it will eliminate any further problems.

Very true :). It might not be as bad as you think, but you won't know for sure until you see a dentist. Do you know what it is that's stopping you from making an appointment?

Unfortunately, I can't answer the specific questions about your teeth (haven't a clue about these things, sorry :rolleyes:) but you could try posting your question in the dentistry questions section.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to post if you have any questions or need advice/support :).

Thanks for the reply :)

Actually, heres what it is. I hate not knowing what to expect...like if someone could at my house look at my tooth and say, yep...root canal will fix that tooth. Then id make the call right away, im not afraid of the actual procedure...i just hate not knowing.

Course on the flipside, the only way ill know is by going...so its kinda like a moot point :p

Thats why i asked here though like, for people that has had experience...will most of the time a tooth be able to be fixed with a root canal if the person has the money?

Thats i guess what im trying to dig for, like for someone that can say "yea, most likely if you have the money for a root canal, 90% of the time a tooth that never got filled can be fixed up with a root canal"...

Then with that confidence, i kinda will be able to just hunker down and go.

Probably sounds so silly i know, but thats kinda what im looking for to give me a boost :redface:

Hi there :welcome:,

if the crack doesn't extend into the root, in all likelihood your teeth can be saved :) (if it does extend into the root, things are more difficult). They may not even need a root canal, who knows. Do you experience any pain with those teeth (and what sort of pain)?

As you already know yourself, it's not possible to make a diagnosis or treatment recommendation over the internet (especially without x-rays and photos) - so it's not really possible to make any promises... but from what you've described so far, it sounds as if it can be fixed.

No pain with these teeth, the one just had a nice sized cavity hole and then the one side of it busted off, think of it like a horseshoe...just a side of it off, but the empy part is just the hole and that broken part.

Basically theres just a big cavity thats rolled in pretty good id say, and a side of the tooth broken...but there is more tooth there than what broke.

And the other side, the whole tooth is there except id say i think its the crown part that is a bit jaggedy from it chipping up a bit when i was eating that candy.

Does it sound too too bad :confused:

I feel retarded though because im being such a wuss and deep down i know that i dont have like teeth beyond help, i just got 2 that got me still nervous enough to not go.

It sounds like it should be easy enough to fix :).

Back