• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi I’m new

Sparkleunicorn

Sparkleunicorn

Hi everyone I’m new.
I am having bad anxiety issues with the dentist right now. I’m 42 and have a filling and a temporary filling done about three months ago for the first time in my life. I’m 42. I’m going again tomorrow as I have a broken tooth and I think I possibly need a filling on my left back tooth. I have generalised anxiety phobia and the whole thing is making me so nervous.
I had a good experience last time but feel ashamed about needing another filling and frightened about what the dentist will find.
my mum keeps trying to reassure me saying having a filling is no big deal but I have a lot of shame attached to it probably due to my linked to my abusive father. Just looking for folks in the same boat. Thankyou for reading . Xx

Your mum is right, it is no big deal and something which dentists expect to have to do routinely. Also some of us have weaker teeth than others and will need more frequent treatment no matter how much care we take.

Hi Sparkleunicorn:welcome:,

hope your appointment went well today and hopefully was it a good experience, like the last time. Having fillings is so common that most people have quite a few of them, even dentists :) If you had your first one in 42, you‘re actually quite an exception. So I second biffo and your mom. With that being said, abuse can do a lot of damage and make us feel shame around things that we don‘t need to be ashamed of, as you mentioned. How are things now - are you still in touch with your father or were you referring to the past?

All the best wishes

Hello thanks for your reply. It turned out to be no big deal with only one filling in the tooth I was due to get anyway.
I am not in touch with my father. He abused me emotionally, psychologically and mentally from the age of 7or 8 to 37. He sometimes hit me with an object as well. He used to hit me over the head with an empty drink plastic bottle which hurt. He became physical with my mum at the end.
he was obsessed with teeth and sugar and would not allow me sweets as a child. Xx

Thanks for your reply. You’re right sometimes we get fillings no matter how much we take care of our teeth. Yesterday was a breeze and not at all what I was expecting. Xx

Back