• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi - new here and terrified about my upcoming procedure!

M

Mweekie

Hi there,

I'm Mweekie, aka Julia. I am turning 30 in July, so next month is going to be an interesting one for me.

I've come on here so I can talk about my fears about my rather major upcoming procedure.

I am having all my remaining teeth removed under general anaesthetic at some point in July, but I have my first hospital consultation on the 1st July. After a couple of months, hopefully my gums will have healed enough so I can get a full set of dentures.

But it's the operation and dealing with the couple of months without teeth that is petrifying me the most!

My dentist has said that the operation and dentures is the best thing for me as my teeth are completely irreparable and I have agreed to have the operation done...but I am really worried about what my colleagues at my workplace will think, and also the general public, like when I go shopping and stuff.

Thankfully, my family and 2 very close friends of mine are fully supporting me through this. My close friend...let's call him L for now...already has partial dentures himself and has been advising me on what to do when the time comes for me to start using my dentures, but I am still as scared as hell about it.

I have been looking online for advice, but thought I would join this forum so I could get more of it...please?!

Mweekie xx

Hi Juila, welcome!

First of all, well done for facing up to your fears, there are lots of us here who get what a big step that is.

I don't have dentures myself, but there are a couple of posters who have been through this and I'm sure they will be along shortly to share their experiences!

My understanding is that it's often possible to get immediate dentures at the time of extraction (you wake up with them already in place), it would be worth your while asking about that when you go for your consultation - it could be that you don't necessarily have to go without teeth.

Tink x

While i do not have any advice for you i will say I know how you are feeling. I just went Tuesday and had extractions done, I only have 9 teeth left and will be healing 4-6 months before I get partials. The thought of going with out teeth that long is very hard but just think how wonderful things will be once you do! Good Luck.

Tink - thank you very much for both the welcome and the advice about the intermediate dentures. Unfortunately, my dentist and dental consultant at the hospital have both said that they want my gum to heal properly before I can get the full set put in as they don't want to put my jaw under any more stress than it needs. I will try again and ask before my procedure takes place, which I am not sure when the date of that is yet.

29va - Ouch for you on Tuesday! Hope the pain has begun to ease off a little for you now. I have 15 1/2 teeth left in total (4 of them have broken in half lol), and I am beginning to struggle to chew as all of my back lower teeth have gone now (at various times). I must admit, I am looking forward to getting my new dentures, just wishing there was an easier/less painful way of doing it...and have started looking at different soup recipes lol.

Mweekie xx

When I had all my teeth extracted I made meat loaf and tator tot hotdish and mashed it up. No chewing required! And KFC mashed potatoes and gravy was really good. :) I'm not a big soup eater so I had to find other things to eat oh and my procedure wasn't painful. I took ibuprofen the first day only and was back to work on the third day.

Hi Mweekie,

Again welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are having to experience this. The thought of having no teeth for that period of time terrifies me. Obviously if you think you can do it... But I know I would push for immediate dentures (or get signed off by my GP so I wouldn't have to face work.) Obviously none of us would judge anyone with missing teeth but the world can be a cruel place. But if you can be the optimistic type and think of your forthcoming new beaming smile maybe that will be enough to see you through. (Good to hear you have good support too.)

Now I need to vent - why should anyone be subject to living with no teeth for 4-6 months in this age? Why is dentistry still in the Stone age?

Good luck. I wish you all the best.

I totally agree with stupidental fear.The practice seems to differ amongst dentists.Some offer an immediate denture after extractions and then 3 months later when the gums are healed they make a permanent denture.Would the dentist face the world with no teeth for how many months.I don't think so.
Then they wonder why we are scared of going to the dentist.
A little empathy would make the world a happier place.

Findingmyvoice,

I couldn't have put that last bit you wrote better myself.

My fear of extractions kept me away and now courtesy of the messed up tooth I now have I'm now suffering daily with anxiety and depression. And why was I scared?...Because one, if it happened I would have to put my trust in the dentist and let him/her remove my tooth/teeth; and two I would then have to trust him/her to provide replacement/s. I suppose what I'm trying to say is there is a lot of trust required and how can I trust such professionals who don't give me any empathy or compassion, as someone struggling so much with their phobia, and just view me as another set of teeth!

I'm sorry...I'm ranting and soooo annoyed.

Back