• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HIGH anxiety patient with root canal question. Do I still need one?

P

plastah04

Let me start off by saying that I suffer from PTSD, anxiety and panic disorder. I had not been to a dentist in over 20 years due to having had a bad experience. I mustered up the courage to go about 3 - 4 weeks ago for an exam. The next week I had three fillings on my upper left side. One of which was very deep and the dentist told me to look for warning signs that could signal the need for a root canal. About 4 hours after the fillings I got the most awful "zing" through my tooth. It continued for 3 weeks or more, about 4 - 5 times a day and usually later in the day or when I ate anything hot. It has been 4 days and no more symptoms. I am wondering if you all think the tooth just took time to heal or if I still need a root canal or how long should I give it. My Dr. prescribed me Klonopin to take before going in for the procedure, but I do not want to take anything if I don't have to. TIA.

Hi I am not a dentist but sometimes when teeth have been treated it can take some time for them to settle down. It does sound as if yours has settled. If you do experience any change or are worried about it at any time then it is best to contact your dentist and let them have a look and maybe take an x ray to make an informed decision.

I think for now you seem to be okay though :)

Hey, sorry to hear to you had to go through so much pain the past few weeks. I think you're doing the right thing by going to the dentist. I am not a dentist but it sounds like the nerve might be dead if you are not getting a response to hot temperatures anymore (a good indicator for a root canal). Good luck, you'll be fine and pain free soon, don't stress!

Last edited: