• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hopeless

A

avalon

I feel like I’m the only person with horrible teeth!! Everyone I see on t.v. and the internet all have beautiful stright perfect teeth. I’m trying to maintain, what teeth I have left, but seems like I go from one problem to another! All I want is to look normal, not be embrassed and constantly worry about what is next. Does anyone else feel this way? I feel obsessed and it definitely affects my daily life.

Hi Avalon,

Yes.. I know I for one have dealt with this for so long, actually wearing a mask in public felt like a bit of relief on people not having to see the state of my teeth. Now.. I do know that we are our own worst critic.. and others will not know the details of what we know of our teeth and the emotions behind it. Its really hard.. I know what you mean about everywhere you look people having what seem to be perfect teeth.. I also know that a lot of people on the internet, etc, social media also have apps to make their teeth look a lot better too. I've spent years being frustrated and embarrassed. Only recently the last few years I've felt better even knowing my teeth are far from perfect and have A LOT of work left. Just taking one step at a time.

You are not alone. :grouphug:

So sorry to read how you feel, avalon. Please do not compare yourself to people in the media. As krlovesherkids wrote, of course they have great teeth. If you earn your money for living by going on tv or doing photoshootings, of course you make sure to look "perfect" like the western ideal requires you to. That's not a reference, it's like comparing yourself to a professional athlete.
From the perspective of someone who worked in a dental practice and actually saw the teeth of people: believe me, most people went through plenty of dental work or are in need of it and as an observer, you have no chance to spot any of that. Particularly with back teeth it's possible to appear to have perfect smile while the back teeth are missing or damaged.

I was wondering whether you have found a dentist who is supportive and ready to help you? I think doing so may help you to gain a different perspective and some hope.

So sorry to read how you feel, avalon. Please do not compare yourself to people in the media. As krlovesherkids wrote, of course they have great teeth. If you earn your money for living by going on tv or doing photoshootings, of course you make sure to look "perfect" like the western ideal requires you to. That's not a reference, it's like comparing yourself to a professional athlete.
From the perspective of someone who worked in a dental practice and actually saw the teeth of people: believe me, most people went through plenty of dental work or are in need of it and as an observer, you have no chance to spot any of that. Particularly with back teeth it's possible to appear to have perfect smile while the back teeth are missing or damaged.

I was wondering whether you have found a dentist who is supportive and ready to help you? I think doing so may help you to gain a different perspective and some hope.

Thanks Enarete for your reply. I should have given a little more background......I came from a family that had no dental hygiene we were taken to a dentist only when a tooth needed pulled?I don’t even remember having a tooth brush? and I certainly should have had braces and by the time I was a adult and learning to take care of my teeth there were just too many missing for that. So going forward to adult life I wore a partial for many years, to replace back missing teeth, I’ve had root canals, root resorption fast forward I then had some implants placed a few years ago, I also had to have bone grafting,my concern about the implants is that I do have some recession. I visit periodontitis, that did the implants, yearly I’m due for that in August. Last year there didn’t seem like much concern we will see this year! I’m also going to inquire if I would be a candidate for gum grafts. But everything I read about recession isn’t good! This gets to my last fear 30 or so years ago a dentist told me I would never be able to wear dentures,I never ask why, and I fear someday if all else fails it will come to this! I have not ask my now dentist about this I guess maybe because I don’t want that confirmed! I have the financial means just not ideal dental structure. I’m always waiting for the next shoe to drop!

Hi Avalon,

Yes.. I know I for one have dealt with this for so long, actually wearing a mask in public felt like a bit of relief on people not having to see the state of my teeth. Nowovesherkids.. I do know that we are our own worst critic.. and others will not know the details of what we know of our teeth and the emotions behind it. Its really hard.. I know what you mean about everywhere you look people having what seem to be perfect teeth.. I also know that a lot of people on the internet, etc, social media also have apps to make their teeth look a lot better too. I've spent years being frustrated and embarrassed. Only recently the last few years I've felt better even knowing my teeth are far from perfect and have A LOT of work left. Just taking one step at a time.

You are not alone. :grouphug:

Thanks Krlovesherkids,

I’m trying not to obsess and take one day at a time but I’ll admit it’s a struggle! I lost my husband 18 months ago and it seems like having so much alone time only adds to the frustration! Yes I hear you about the masks it doesn’t bother me either....almost a relief! I’m trying to tell myself there is always something that can be done but haven’t quite convinced myself yet? I fortunately have the financial means just not the best dental road map to work with! I have read a lot of your posts and you are always so encouraging thank you we need it!