• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Horizontally Impacted Wisdom Teeth & Nerve Damage

T

theendeavor

I generally do not have a fear of the dentist, but last week my dentist scared me when he told me I need to have all four wisdom teeth removed. The two top teeth won't be a problem. But because the two bottom teeth are horizontally impacted and the roots are close to the nerve, he said I could suffer nerve damage. He said the oral surgeon would be able to tell me more after a 3D x-ray.

This terrifies me! I haven't had any problems with either tooth. Should I even get them taken out?

If I choose not to take out the bottom two teeth, can or should I still have the top teeth removed?

What are the odds of nerve damage with horizontally impacted teeth?

Would a coronectomy be preferable?

Please advise! And I promise I'll keep everybody updated.

:cry:

Also, I am approaching 30 if that changes the answer at all...

Ultimately it is up to you to decide if you want to take your dentist's advice and have them removed or not. I am in the same boat you are as I am 31 with all my wisdom teeth still in place, and one of the bottom ones are horizontally impacted. My dentist has advised extraction as well, but I have not had any issues with my wisdom teeth to date, and if I did they would have already been removed. I have choose to go against my dentist's advice and not bother with them until they begin to bother me, which based on my family history may never occur. You need to evaluate how you feel about the risks of removal versus the risks of allowing them to stay. Both decisions have their associated risks, and since they are your teeth you need to decide which risks are worth taking and which aren't.

Back